• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Cemetery Old Chapel

david.gothard

I was talking to the lady in the office at Yardley Cemetery and she told me there used to be a small chapel in the original part of the cemetery that was demolished when they built the crematorium. It used to be on, what is now, the large oval traffic island type thing near the South entrance from Yardley Road.
I've tried searching google but haven't had any luck finding anything about it.

Does anyone know the history? When it was built, when it was demolished etc.
Or even better if anyone has photos

Many Thanks

David, Welcome to the forum, found a couple of references regarding chapels at Yardley Cemetery
https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1444788 which suggests the chapel was built in 1883 and demolished when a new chapel was built in 1936 and https://www.birminghamconservationt...Overview-of-Birmingham-Conservation-Trust.pdf which refers to conservation of
a small but highly decorative semi-derelict cemetery chapel in Yardley.
which may be the one built in 1936.

Colin

I went to see where the Chapel was at Yardley it has gone completely, as David says just a grassed traffic island on the ground level. It is similar to the sight of Key Hill chapel but that oval is raised. I hope someone comes up with a picture.

I remember seeing what I thought was the old chapel at Yardley Cemetery some 20 or more years ago. It looked as if it was built long before 1936 very very old and in bad repair but what a lovely building. It was very dissapointing when one day I parked up and walked to where I thought the old chapel was and found the chapel gone, and what others have already described as a green grassed type of traffic island near to the south entrance/exit. It would be so nice if someone did have a picture they could post would love to see if it is or was as I remember seeing it (not a very large chapel) but really nice building.

Yes thats the place. I went a couple of years ago, to take some photo's of a member in Australia's family graves near to the area where the chapel was. I do hope someone can locate a photo of the chapel.

Ell Brown you made my day with the Yardley photos. Great fun looking at them lots of memorys. Both Mom and Dad creamated there and they have a small memorial stone in front of the chapel. THANKS VERY MUCH John Crump OldBrit. Parkr.Co USA

GOOD MORNING OLD BRIT ;
I Hope you are well and looking after your self as well ;
this is abit of a personal note and i hope you do not mind me asking ;but are you of any relation to a albert crump
whom lived in the stechford - shard end of birmingham england as i knew a albert crump whom kept racing pigieons
and worked in a foundry called tube limited in aston cross along with another olf friend whom is a another member on this forum
whom we both knew and worked along each other and thats is bazz from scotland
when i seen your name i thought of old albert he was a big guy in size ;
many thanks again sorry if you thought i was abit nosy ; only albet was also a friend of mine and i have not seen him since the 1970
it would be nice to hear if he was any relei to you ; best wishes astonian;;

Albert Crump is not a releative as far as I know, The Crumps that came from are from Smethwick, Printers by trade and they went to America early 1900s, John Crump

Just came to mind about the Old Yardley Church, Many years ago I visited the church and the Vicar at that time, took me around to the side of the old part of the church and showed me several deep grooves in the stone. He claimed that it had been established that the grooves where made by knights of youre sharpening swords on the stone? I do have some photos someplace that I will share with you if interested, Ell Brown could maybe go yake a look and photo for the group to see. John Crump OldBrit,(Who need his sword sharpened!) Parker, Co USA

Hi Oldbrit, I think you may be thinking of St Edburgha's Church in Yardley Old Village....this thread is about the old chapel that stood in Yardley Cemetery before it was replaced with the newer one that stands today..If you have any photos of the Old Cemetery Chapel we would all be thrilled to see them :)

0016.jpg This picture was taken at a family funeral in 1978. Apparently the chapel fell into disrepair, was struck by lightening and subsequently demolished.

Back