• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wpc56

Trebor

master brummie
This is a programme that is screening every afternoon on bbc1 next week, it features a policewoman in the fifties. Some of the locations used are Black Country Museum, Cannon Hill Park, Town Hall and Victoria Law Courts, I think it will be interesting, pass the word on.

Regards Trebor (Rita)

Well I watched it and I'm sorry but I thought it was rubbish, and as for the Birmingham accent, they have got it wrong again, they always make it sound like the Black Country accent, shan't bother with the rest of the week. Would be interested in what others thought.

Trebor. (Rita)

Hi All,
In the opening sequence the number 11 bus had "City" on the destination! Also the conductor had a ticket machine like Midland Red whereas I remember BCT ones punched the ticket and a bell rang. In the credits there was a "Historical Adviser", Dr somebody or other. Hope he didn't get paid.

Cheers,
Stan

(Gets anorak and leaves)

I thought it was ok, didn't expect much to be fair. Also thought it was set close to B'ham but could be wrong.

The point about "historic adviser" is well made. But frankly, apart from the rape and dead boy, the quality of the script and plot reminded me of Enid Blighton. The BBC website does not seem to mention a scriptwriter -she/he is probably too ashamed to let there name be shown

Well agree the acting was not good and the storyline was pretty predictable. I could see the pub was just off Legge Lane. Why do they always do Birmingham plays awful.

I was out today so I recorded it - not sure I will bother watching it now - specially if they have done the Birmingham accent as a black country one :uncomfortableness: I don't have anything against the Black country accent but it annoys me that programmes constantly get them mixed up.

I actually quite enjoyed it caught up on Iplayer and watched the last one this afternoon. It must be a difficult subject to do. I thought the story was quite good and the acting to in a difficult subject. The accents were varied but then the "old" Birmingham accents were. Someone from Smethwick sounded very different to someone from Aston. I have contact with quite a few elderly Birmingam people and their accents tend to be quite strong. I love talking to them as it reminds me of my childhood family. This is just my opinion.

I was very dissapointed !!! Surely they could give a better impression of Birmingham people. Could have been a good platform for us but as usual we appeared to be dumbos. I am sure we tork moor propa than that anal.
Betty

Hi All,
In the opening sequence the number 11 bus had "City" on the destination! Also the conductor had a ticket machine like Midland Red whereas I remember BCT ones punched the ticket and a bell rang. In the credits there was a "Historical Adviser", Dr somebody or other. Hope he didn't get paid.

Cheers,
Stan

(Gets anorak and leaves)

Hi Stan,

The bus was hired from Aston Manor Transport Museum, a genuine Birmingham City Transport bus. However the museum wasn't responsible for the errors you mention:culpability:

The ticket punch you refer to is a Bell Punch, later they had Ultimate ticket machines by the same manufacturer (I also possess an anorak:friendly_wink:)

Simon

Watched episodes 1,2 and 3 so far and leaving aside the historical errors and inaccurate accents the programme portrayed the male chauvinistic attitude for the time quite accurately. It certainly doesn't deserve a better viewing slot than mid afternoon up to now but hopefully it may improve. I can certainly remember many plain clothes and on/off duty police officers behaving in a similar manner as the programme portrays.

Because I recorded it I have only just watched it but I really enjoyed it and hope they make more of them. I think if they moved it to Sundays it could become as popular as call the midwife.

Does anyone know where the opening scene was filmed - where WPC 56 was running for the bus?

Hi Stan,

The bus was hired from Aston Manor Transport Museum, a genuine Birmingham City Transport bus. However the museum wasn't responsible for the errors you mention:culpability:

The ticket punch you refer to is a Bell Punch, later they had Ultimate ticket machines by the same manufacturer (I also possess an anorak:friendly_wink:)

Simon

Was it an error with a number 11 on the front of the bus and saying "City"?, it wasn't supposed to be set in Birmingham but a fictional nearby town so a fictional bus number wouldn't make this an error. Perhaps they should have used a Midland Red bus instead of a Birmingham Corporation Bus.

The accents were rubbish and got on my nerves, the storyline wasn't too bad but there was quite a bit of wooden acting going on. With all the money they must have spent on the show it should have been better.

Because I recorded it I have only just watched it but I really enjoyed it and hope they make more of them. I think if they moved it to Sundays it could become as popular as call the midwife.

Does anyone know where the opening scene was filmed - where WPC 56 was running for the bus?

If it was the shot with the prefabs this would be Wake Green Road.

It may be difficult for some to accept that the racism, sexism and bullying were so entenched in policing in those days, but they were. Birmingham City Police had a particullarly bad reputation. But there again this drama was not set in Birmingham. I can see this catching on, despite the technical errors with motor vehicles. I think it is perhaps worth about 7 out of ten.
Ted

My first comment about the series was bad, but I think it improved, and probably deserves an extension

It may be difficult for some to accept that the racism, sexism and bullying were so entenched in policing in those days, but they were. Birmingham City Police had a particullarly bad reputation.

I must take issue with Ted in Post 24. As many of you know I am a retired police officer and proud of it. I joined Birmingham City Police in 1952. I accept that there was a certain amount of racism, probably still is, but no more than that of the general population. As for bullying, who was bullied. Was it police offciers bullied by more senior officers? Was it civilians going about their normal lives? Was it prisoners routinely beaten up? I say an emphatic no to all of these But I accept that occasionally an officer might have overstepped the mark particularly if he himself had been assaulted by the prisoner. As for sexism, due to Police Regulations, there were far fewer women in the force that men There were only two women constables on duty in the whole of Birmingham at night. They remained in Steelhouse Lane Police Station unless called out to deal with women prisoners or to take statements from women alleging sexual assault. They also dealt with all matters involving children. They were paid less but worked less hours than male officers.
It may have been sexism but it was official sexism. Prior to WW1 there were no women police officers at all.

It is only my view but present day officers dealing with incidents in riot gear etc present a far worse image that we did in my day.

Old Boy

Last edited by a moderator:
My first comment about the series was bad, but I think it improved, and probably deserves an extension

Just tried watching it and had to switch it off! I found myself getting very angry. Will give it a go another time when I'm in a more tolerant frame of mind. Viv.

Hi I watched all 5 episodes and generally thought it was quite a good programme.Some of the accents were debatable,the storylines were predictable but overall enjoyed the series,nice to see parts of Brum on tv,will be interesting to see if another series will be commissioned in the future.

Even though it started off fairly amateurishly it became quite watchable to the extent of my Wife and I hoping for a new series.

hi old boy, you say they were paid less because they worked less. in fact they worked half hour less a day and this is the feeble reason they got paid less. regards nijinski

Back