• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wpc56

It may be difficult for some to accept that the racism, sexism and bullying were so entenched in policing in those days, but they were. Birmingham City Police had a particullarly bad reputation. But there again this drama was not set in Birmingham. I can see this catching on, despite the technical errors with motor vehicles. I think it is perhaps worth about 7 out of ten.
Ted

My first comment about the series was bad, but I think it improved, and probably deserves an extension

It may be difficult for some to accept that the racism, sexism and bullying were so entenched in policing in those days, but they were. Birmingham City Police had a particullarly bad reputation.

I must take issue with Ted in Post 24. As many of you know I am a retired police officer and proud of it. I joined Birmingham City Police in 1952. I accept that there was a certain amount of racism, probably still is, but no more than that of the general population. As for bullying, who was bullied. Was it police offciers bullied by more senior officers? Was it civilians going about their normal lives? Was it prisoners routinely beaten up? I say an emphatic no to all of these But I accept that occasionally an officer might have overstepped the mark particularly if he himself had been assaulted by the prisoner. As for sexism, due to Police Regulations, there were far fewer women in the force that men There were only two women constables on duty in the whole of Birmingham at night. They remained in Steelhouse Lane Police Station unless called out to deal with women prisoners or to take statements from women alleging sexual assault. They also dealt with all matters involving children. They were paid less but worked less hours than male officers.
It may have been sexism but it was official sexism. Prior to WW1 there were no women police officers at all.

It is only my view but present day officers dealing with incidents in riot gear etc present a far worse image that we did in my day.

Old Boy

Last edited by a moderator:
My first comment about the series was bad, but I think it improved, and probably deserves an extension

Just tried watching it and had to switch it off! I found myself getting very angry. Will give it a go another time when I'm in a more tolerant frame of mind. Viv.

Hi I watched all 5 episodes and generally thought it was quite a good programme.Some of the accents were debatable,the storylines were predictable but overall enjoyed the series,nice to see parts of Brum on tv,will be interesting to see if another series will be commissioned in the future.

Even though it started off fairly amateurishly it became quite watchable to the extent of my Wife and I hoping for a new series.

hi old boy, you say they were paid less because they worked less. in fact they worked half hour less a day and this is the feeble reason they got paid less. regards nijinski

It may appear to you to be a feeble reason now but we are talking the Fifties, another World away.
In most walks of life the women earned less.
I suppose it could be argued that they did a different job and signed up expecting to.
They never walked the beat, did traffic duty, etc.
They must have had a rough ride in some cases depending on their superiors who in some cases were set in their ways.

To illustrate to you how different life was, My Dad joined in 1946/7, my mother stayed back in Potteries and worked in the trade.
They were allocated a police house in 1950 and we moved to Birmingham , our Gran lived with us and my Mom got a job, she liked to work.
My Dad was called in to see his superior officer who told him he had heard a rumour that my mother worked.He told my Dad that he was disappointed that a Police officer should allow his wife to work and asked him to pursuade her to stop,My dad stood no chance, when he told Mom she called the officer a few choice words and it was forgotten. How chauvenist was that, LOL.

As I say a different World then there was alot about life that was unfair so let's not get too political,
I did not see the programme wish I had now.

Hi alberta, I know it was a man's world back then. I wasn't being political. I was refferring to the narrater's comments about women only getting I think 80% of mens wages because they work 7 1/2 hrs a day compared to the mens 8 hrs a day. I mean.if they were given a choice they would have probably worked the 8 and get full pay. Regards nijinski. Ps no offence to any of folks who worked back then.

A new series of WPC 56 starts today - BBC 1 at 2.15pm - on everyday this week at the same time - finishes Friday

well guys after reading all your threads i don,t think i will bother whats the plot behind it ;it is just a memory lane jogger
is it real crimes committed of yesterdays or is it just like on the bus,s site touring unsolved crimes or what ;i could probaly bear the black country accent as i have got a annoying neibour with is black country lingo but i do not want a tour of brum routine cos i can get the number 11 bus and do that or the city centre tour bs if if still operational
have a good day folks even thou the weather is a blinder of misery best wishes astonian;;

It is fiction and does not pretend to be an accurate historic representation. How many believed that Hill St Blues or The Waltons showed it as it was but enjoyed it anyway?

thanks for the reminder polly..watched it for the first time and really enjoyed it..will be tuning in to the rest now

lyn

well guys after reading all your threads i don,t think i will bother whats the plot behind it ;it is just a memory lane jogger
is it real crimes committed of yesterdays or is it just like on the bus,s site touring unsolved crimes or what ;i could probaly bear the black country accent as i have got a annoying neibour with is black country lingo but i do not want a tour of brum routine cos i can get the number 11 bus and do that or the city centre tour bs if if still operational
have a good day folks even thou the weather is a blinder of misery best wishes astonian;;

I wouldn't bother about what anyone else says Astonian, watch it and make your own mind up. Whinges about the accent, destination of the bus sign etc. are petty and irrelevant imo. I enjoy most programmes which are set in the 50's and 60's, as that was the era I grew up in, and it rekindles some fond, strong, and emotional memories. And more so, when they are the set in or close to the City of my birth, and where I still think of as home.

Its easy to watch and agree its brings back memories but I am sure if it wasnt set in Brum I wouldnt watch it as its not the greatest for acting and its very amateurish in some of the scenes. Thank goodness for the other one set in Brum the superb Peaky Blinders.

Nostalgia, escapism, enjoyment. If it's your thing watch it and don't worry too much about the "plots" or acting, after all it's your own opinion that counts.
jimbo

Back