• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

who remembers fireball xl5

A suggestion for those going to Uni soon for the first time and worrying about what original thesis they will need to research - seems to me that there is a possible connection between Oodle-Poodle and the Clangers' language. You doubt? Well admitedly as vocalised by the Clangers it may be difficult to discern as the series creators have said that, living in vacuum, they did not actually communicate by sound, but rather by a type of nuclear magnetic resonance, which was translated to audible whistles for the human audience. It is probably more easily heard in the bass notes of the Soup Dragon - try 7mins into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCcD0aqUgCo as merely one example

There is a possible contact at the BBC who may help. He told Postgate "you can’t say that on children’s television, you know, I mean you just can’t.” in the episode where a rocket shoots down the Iron Chicken and Major Clanger kicks a door to make it work and his first words are "oh, s** it, the b***** thing’s stuck again.” (translated from Clanger of course). It was aired anyway.

The series was shown without narration to a group of overseas students, who each felt that the Clangers were speaking their own language.

I think this hints at a root language lost in the mists of time. Noggin the Nog , in the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale...

If we could only find the records of the Concordat of Worms (n.b. It is essential to bear in mind that only dragons may call each other 'worm'. Others do so at their peril.) which was held in the year 984BN (before Nog-time), and resulted in the DRAGONS' FRIENDLY SOCIETY https://www.dragons-friendly-society.co.uk/main.htm

I remember "Fireball XL5" very well and the sad part about it was I could even understand what Zunie was saying.
And Auntie Jean Morton with Tinga & Tucker..... Classics!
I also loved watching "Supercar" around the same time but for some reason very few people seem to remember that series.
Takes me back

Chocks;)
well chocks i certainly dont remember supercar but i do remember being a member of the tinga and tucker club i always thought zunie said welcome home on fireball but when we were kids i think we just made anything up that sounded similar you will be reciting boomerang boomerang this is our song next and showing the foum members the tinga and tucka sign !!!:D

Reading the posts has taken me back to..

Captain Pugwash & The Black Pig

Crackerjack with Peter Glaze

And I loved Trumpton, with the firemen, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.

:DNow I need a lie down with a damp cloth on my head:D

well chocks i certainly dont remember supercar but i do remember being a member of the tinga and tucker club i always thought zunie said welcome home on fireball but when we were kids i think we just made anything up that sounded similar you will be reciting boomerang boomerang this is our song next and showing the foum members the tinga and tucka sign !!!:D

Auntie Jean sold out and became a Central TV management executive https://www.madeinbirmingham.org/atv.htm and gave birth to Gordon Astley. Not sure what happened to Willy Wombat...

A very early Japanese type cartoon "Marine boy" used to take his oxygum and was able to swim under water.

Lovely memories, folks! I'm ancient enough to remember The Woodentops, which I used to watch at the next door neighbour's house before we had our own TV (aah! Spotty Dog). (Also remember Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Sooty and Sweep, and lots more).

I'm afraid I don't remember the English "Willy (the) Wombat" (enlighten me please). But my illustrious cousin Willie Wombat worked in advertising before World War 2.

[Wombats appear to be infiltrating the BHF ... Curiouser and curiouser!]

Thanks, mate! Somewhere along the way Tingha and Tucker became glove-puppets: to start with they were just Auntie Jean's "stuffed" toys. It must have been one of the cheapest productions ever (and I mean no disrespect).

... Captain Pugwash ...

I used to love that show! There's an unfortunate urban myth about Captain Pugwash, which can be read here (provided you are over 18). As the story explains, it is utterly without foundation, having been invented by a journalist. I can remember many years ago a bloke in a pub telling me these foul lies in all seriousness, which really upset me. At the time I didn't have the ammunition with which to defend the good Captain and his crew. Now I do ... where is that bloke? Jumping jellyfish! :angry2:

used tolove the music to this too and dont forget josie and the pussy cats ,hattie town ,paulus the wood gnome, omg theres loads i have to admit though on seeing clips of torchy the battery boy i find hin quite scary glad he was a little before my time

No TV at home until I got Radio Rentals at 23, but my grandmother's friend had a set. Her husband was really a fan of 'World at War', but I was sometimes indulged in XL5. We still don't have hover chairs, but this is for the best !

No TV at home until I got Radio Rentals at 23, but my grandmother's friend had a set. Her husband was really a fan of 'World at War', but I was sometimes indulged in XL5. We still don't have hover chairs, but this is for the best !

gosh that brings back memories derek...as kids we thought it was amazing :D

lyn

Great to see it back, I've been catching up with them on TPTV and I actually remembered the first one. Loved the show in the 60s and Supercar before that.
1689078281237.png 1689078711223.png

I think I've checked every page correctly , fellow members tut tut to you , folk's what about Muffin the Mule and the other overlooked one Captain Scarlet I don't think I've seen them yet on this thread

Back