• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

who remembers fireball xl5

katyboo

ladywood lass
:D oh my god i must be losing the plot i have just been sorting through all my cds and music and transported myself back over 40 years ago because among my collction of weird and wonderfull music i have came across the theme tune full version of fireball xls by barry gray i wonder how many of you like myself were glued to the t.v to watch this and dance and sing along to the song at the end of it welcome home that zunie was brilliant and robbie the robot ha ha lol :p

:D:D lol katy i remember it well..me and our kid were glued to the tv and then there was stingray..thunderbirds and joe 90:)

lyn

not forgetting tingha and tucker and pauulus the little wood gnome omg lyn we are showing our ages here

:D oh my god i must be losing the plot i have just been sorting through all my cds and music and transported myself back over 40 years ago because among my collction of weird and wonderfull music i have came across the theme tune full version of fireball xls by barry gray i wonder how many of you like myself were glued to the t.v to watch this and dance and sing along to the song at the end of it welcome home that zunie was brilliant and robbie the robot ha ha lol :p

Enjoy......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6JruBYSYQ&p=8ACBB60439C12FF2&playnext=1&index=49

I remember "Fireball XL5" very well and the sad part about it was I could even understand what Zunie was saying.
And Auntie Jean Morton with Tinga & Tucker..... Classics!
I also loved watching "Supercar" around the same time but for some reason very few people seem to remember that series.
Takes me back

Chocks;)

I want one
Fireball%20XL-5_solo_side1.jpg

Another sad person here who bought the record, used to play it on my dansette record player.

Hi all,
There was a 'Golden Age' for me on tv from Supercar through to Thunderbirds - including the two Anderson films, those shows had a charm that seemed to have been lost from Captain Scarlet onwards - no matter how technically superior they might have been. The black and white ones stand up just as well as the colour in my view (althought the colourized segments now available for Supercar and XL5 do look very nice and a number of colour 'stills' were published in TV21 comic at the time).
I really did hide behind the sofa when Torchy The Battery Boy (produced with Roberta Leigh) came on, and Four Feather Falls didn't interest me much - although I always have a little smile when I see Toy Story (2 in particular).
Supercar and Fireball, along with Roberta Leigh's classic Space Patrol started me on the slippery slope towards the more hard-core elements of Science Fiction and for that I'm forever grateful, it introduced me to the work of some very rewarding writers.
I sang along to both the Supercar and Fireball theme songs, the latter flowed much more easily and I was just young enough not to be put off by the cheesey lyrics - never could bring myself to do so with the 'Marina' slush-fest over the closing credits of Stingray - YUCK (I would have been about 9 by then).
Zoonie and Robert made a great double-act, I remember Robert getting literally 'steamed-up' by the Lazoon mimicking his "on our way home":cool:

Regards, Gerry.

frothblower, that can not be the real rocket from fireball xl5. when i used to watch it, the rocket was black and white. great photo

OK then, let's really stretch back into the mists.... how about a puppet called Hank who was a Mexican riding the range. Or what about Billy Bean and his Funny Machine.
There was also The Bumberlies with Micheal Bentine.

Hi,
OK then... ...There was also The Bumberlies with Micheal Bentine.
I remember Potty Time with Michael Bentine. Were the Bumberlies on the excellent 'It's A Square World', which was more of a mad-cap grown ups programme? I don't recall much more than it was a well loved show at the time and there were some wonderful dramas played out on what seemed to be a sand tray with small invisible creatures, you could only see the tracks appearing in the sand to follow the action while Bentine did his best to describe the goings on.

Regards, Gerry.

The Bumberlies was a childrens' programme on around 5.15pm. Three characters from outer space and Bentine trying to keep them in order.Every week one of the 3 would commit some silly prank and we had to guess which one.
His most famous sketch from " Square World" was about a pub game called "Drats"

"Loblob" "Flobberpop" , "Babap ickle Weed" - "Weeeeeeeeeeed".

Aidan" Way out in space together" man.Dek

The language of Oddle-poddle (to give its correct name) is most interesting. For example "What do you think of that?- gloves as well as a hat!" is translated as "Woddle oo teep a dop? Gloob a woddle a hop!"

Many have tried and failed to find a translation between Oddle-poddle and Teletubbiase - I fear we will need a Rosetta-Stele for that one. I mean Bibberly cheese! Once that is found Scouser translation would not take too much.

There is a certain familial similarity between
* "Robbie" as described in Asimov's first of many robot short stories in 1939 (collected into I, Robot in 1950)
* Robbie the Robot from the 1956 Forbidden Planet
* Robert the Robot from 1962 Fireball XL5
* Robot B-9 from 1965 Lost in Space

Back