• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where was your first holiday?

It's nice looking at old holiday photos in this thread, simple life satisfied us then. My 2nd holiday was a Scout Camping holiday at Beaudesert on Cannock Chase. Unfortunately got no photos, but I've always liked that area. One thing I remember was watching wasps catching flies in the air, never seen it since, hope I didn't imagine it !

My first holiday without 'bossy' grown-ups was at Combe Martin in '54 - two weeks of glorious sun. We had a big bell tent. We didn't have a table so made one from branches. Primus Stoves to cook, and I think I can see Branston Pickle in our cardboard box larder. Looks like salad, big tomatoes in the teatime pic. Dress was optional. We drank Double Diamond in Berynarbor and went on a day trip to Lundy Island in a Paddle Steamer. I didn't have another holiday until 1972 apart from 2 years National service in the RAF.. :D

To see the pics click on 'thumbnails' click again to enlarge

Camp_Table.jpg Camp_Tea_Ready.jpg 3_in_Pub_Berrynarbor_1954.jpg Berrynarbor_1954_Double_Diamond.jpg Colin_in_Berrynarbor_Pub_1954.jpg Back_to_Boat_Lundy.jpg Land_at_Lundy.jpg

Last edited:
My first holiday without parents was after moving to Birmingham. With three mates we had a week in a caravan at Exmouth. One mate and myself met two girls on the first evening and over a fish and chip supper found out they were from Castle Bromwich!

hi.my first hol was in ireland.a little farm on the mourn mounting.i was only five.but remember it well,no electric lights,well water,and a loo that was a shed with a plank with a hole init, nuf said about that thing:Dthere was a huge cart horse called dick,he was lovely and friendly.one night my uncle and aunty took me to a little pub down in the town of kilkeel.before they let me have a drink of orange i had to give em a song:cry:.

hi all
love the pictures never had a holiday at all as a kid, never any money I suppose, saw the sea for the first time at 15 yrs, went with a mate to Ryle n/wales, by train from brum ,left snow hill I think two glorious days with kiss me quick hat's and candy floss, about 62.
regards
paul

This is for Dek carr POST #56. Took me all night to find it so hope you recognize the gent and young lady?. Post #61 is myself. Jean.

Morecambe, with Gran Buckley & Aunt Mable Just after the War:)

I'd be about 10

Rhyl,1948,Motorbike and sidecar,Mom on the pillion and myself and my sister inside,I suppose the tent etc must have gone on top of the sidecar.
Hated tents ever since.

Old Mohawk,I went to Coombe Martin in 1954 age 12.Steve and I went to Devon last year and called in,it hasn't changed very much.Just looks shabbier now than then,but as youngsters you don't care.

Last edited:
Well I just found this thread. And I have read all the posts! The first holiday that I remember was in Weymouth, a bit fuzzy with the memories in a boarding house run by a Mrs Bridgens from the Black Country. Mr Bridgens had a petjackdaw that sat on his shoulder. I remember being afraid of it. I remember being in the pushchair by the harbour, I don't remember kicking of my new tartan T strap pumps in to it that grandad had just bought. We always went away together usually when I was little.
!st proper holiday away from my parent was again at Weymouth. Preston to be precise. All the caravans were dull green. Me and 2 mates aged 15. This time it was me that slipped in a cow pat (and not my mate who fell in the mud in Stourport,) as they were driven to milking through the site.
We put a kitty in and discovered one of us was as tight as, well I won't say. And was dipping in. So we gave up. He got off with a girl so we went our separate ways, meeting up after the pub, standing like sardines in lounge of The Ship Inn. I remember the Wombles were big at the time and I got a funny look off the organist when I asked him to play Beach Baby.

First time I went away without my Mother and Sister was when I was 17, girlfriend, at the time, booked a flat in Weston but told my Mother I was going away with some lads from work, unfortunately a "friend" from work told her what I had been up to and for the next few weeks there was silence in our house.

IMG_2021.JPG
My first holiday as a child was towards the end of WW2. We went with our next door neighbours, by Midland Red bus to Bewdley, I can't remember how we got to Arley, but do remember standing at a signpost with the 'grown-ups' arguing about which way to go. We stayed in a real gypsy caravan in a farmer's field near Arley. The caravan had large wooden wheels with horse shafts, and steps up to the end door. It was decorated with bright colours inside and out. It had a wood burning stove for cooking. I used to go with my sister down a hill across the railway track to the River Severn, and I remember a small island in the river at that point. We used to watch US airplanes flying along the river so low we could look down on them from the hill. I also remember the pub down by the river.
Memories........:)

I remember stooping for a couple of nights in a friend's family caravan at Arley, when I was about 15. We wanted to do some "night fishing," but the only thing we caught were Eels. As my old man was coming to collect us we soaked the eels in salt water overnight. We kind of fried them in butter and waited for him to taste them, and to our surprise he ate the lot.

He used to have jellied eels at Perry Barr Dogs!

Holidays, are we nearly there yet?

Rhyl, Severn Beach or Weston-super-Mare were our destinations.

1960 we all piled in a mini and went to weston super mud for the day,it was fantasic the smell of the sea and fish and chips. a holiday that will stick in my mind:)

Maybe 1950 with my mother and older sister, a farm called Dove Dale. Not sure where it was north of Brum. We went on a single decker bus. Kind of like a B&B but the economy version. I remember a River with stepping stones seemed like we played there all day.
My first alone was camping along side the Avon in Stratford just for one night. We went there on our bikes (didn’t everyone) we were about 13, six of us from school.
A year later we were YHA ing all over the country Devon Cornwall, Somerset Great Yarmouth etc. Relating this to my wife she asked, how did your mother know where you were? Imagine!

I never had a holiday as such with my family, (to poor see), but when I was 15, I had a job at Wrenson's, Bristol Road , Northfield, delivery boy, and shop hand, it paid £3. 10. 6p, so I saved up and in July 1963, went to Rhyl in N Wales,. I had never seen the sea, and when a kid all my more wealthier friends seemed to go there for their holidays. I went from, Snow Hill, by Steam Train, and stayed 2 days, in a boarding house. I bought a , "Kiss me Quick", Cow Boy hat and cheap sun glass's and thought I was the "Bees Knees" . I remember walking down to the beach for the first time in my life, and looked in wonder at the huge expanse of sea. Never forgotten it. Went in the Military as a lad soon after, determined to travel.

Maybe 1950 with my mother and older sister, a farm called Dove Dale. Not sure where it was north of Brum. We went on a single decker bus. Kind of like a B&B but the economy version. I remember a River with stepping stones seemed like we played there all day.
My first alone was camping along side the Avon in Stratford just for one night. We went there on our bikes (didn’t everyone) we were about 13, six of us from school.
A year later we were YHA ing all over the country Devon Cornwall, Somerset Great Yarmouth etc. Relating this to my wife she asked, how did your mother know where you were? Imagine!

Stepping stones Dovedale.

My holidays from when I was very young were spent at my Nan's cottage in a village in south Worcestershire where she moved to from Brum when I was a baby.

My first real holiday was when I was four - we travelled down to Bournemouth on the train to stay with my Aunt and Uncle, I can still recall seeing the sea for the first time as we walked down the woodland path on the Westcliffe side - I couldn't quite work out what it was!

What a great bit of footage, from a world long gone. Bless their little hearts, from poor back grounds, just like me, the wonderment, and awe, of such an outing at that age, must have been a great adventure. The good people that made it happen, through hard work and big hearts!!!

A mates family invited me to join them on a static caravan holiday to Burnham on sea when I was 12 or 13, loved it.
Five years later I made the move to the South West coast permanent. Still haven't tired of the sea view every morning
after 45 years.

Back