• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved the Welsh character, played by Talfryn Thomas, He wasn't in the show long, it turns out that the Scottish bloke, (somebody Laurie ?), had him taken off.

I read a bio of Arthur Lowe , where John Laurie is reported to have said about the cast to the producers "I have worked with some of the greatest talent in the world and I'm surrounded by these gang of ***** "

yer i noticed baz.. i like the names View attachment 137020 dmiral Ulrich Von Sinkenquicken
In case it has net been mentioned, les 'flics' is a slang word in French for 'cops'. There were other nuances in Allo! Allo! but like many programmes they could be missed.
During the late 1950's, I used a Grundig reel to reel tape recorder to record The Goon Show. On replay it was interesting to hear things that I had missed during the live transmission.

I read a bio of Arthur Lowe , where John Laurie is reported to have said about the cast to the producers "I have worked with some of the greatest talent in the world and I'm surrounded by these gang of ***** "
Yes ! You've reminded me of a wartime Shakespearian film I watched once, (Richard III ?), John Laurie was in it and he looked just the same as he did in Dad's Army.

In case it has net been mentioned, les 'flics' is a slang word in French for 'cops'. There were other nuances in Allo! Allo! but like many programmes they could be missed.
During the late 1950's, I used a Grundig reel to reel tape recorder to record The Goon Show. On replay it was interesting to hear things that I had missed during the live transmission.
The Going Show what a collection of talent,

I googled Talfryn, he'd worked with actors such as Richard Burton. Looks like Laurie didn't have much to be sniffy about.

What really tickled me was Arthur Lowe would turn up for rehearsals , no script , not ready . When asked if he could take two copies of the script one to take home and one for rehearsals . He was reported as saying "one to take home , I wouldn't read this rubbish at home " . It's all in the book , I thought it was a cracking read

Last edited:
I dislike most soaps, they`re all miserable buggers ( they were the last time i watched one, apart from the lovely Ena sharples with that sexy hairnet)
I like The repair shop, Midwives, A&E, Antiques Roadshow, 999 On the Frontline, basically anything that looks & sounds real.

Love the old comedy shows,Hi De Hi,Man about the house,George and Mildred, I could go on but you get my drift. Currently enjoying Shelley.
I am a former Royal Marine but never watch fictional military programmes. So much is wrong it makes me cringe. Also my wife hates me shouting at the tv.

I love the medical ads on TV iñ the States, with all the warnings about what they wont do and when they should not be used etc.
Bob

I love the medical ads on TV iñ the States, with all the warnings about what they wont do and when they should not be used etc.
Bob
Yes they have to call out all the possible side affects and after hearing then all your to scared to take the medicine

I am watching the series on PBS about country music by Ken Burns as usual very worth while., and no adds on PBS.

We watch a lot of english shows on Australian abc channel. Doc Martin, Midsomer murders, Father Brown, Call the Midwife,Touch of Frost,New tricks, Grand Designs, Shetland, Loved Home Fires but it got cut :( most programs have been on a dozen times before!...guess that gives you an idea haha

We watch a lot of english shows on Australian abc channel. Doc Martin, Midsomer murders, Father Brown, Call the Midwife,Touch of Frost,New tricks, Grand Designs, Shetland, Loved Home Fires but it got cut :( most programs have been on a dozen times before!...guess that gives you an idea haha
I like them doc martin. farther browm midsumer murders, glad i dont live in that village, and the little grey cell man:laughing::laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back