• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob 1969/70 an ATV technician who had an account with the company I worked for picked me and a colleague up from work one evening ATV had recently moved into their new studios in Bridge St from Aston . He took us on a guided tour of the Crossroads set also The Golden Shot set , I had real good eye opener with the Crossroad set doors being screwed to walls , the door to Megs office never opened at all cue Megs hand on office door change of shot across studio, Meg coming in door to her office . The most hilarious thing he told us was the amount of bookings the ATV got to stay there at the Crossroads, how gullible people can be
Gullible is indeed is the term, so I have a confession we use to wag it off from school and hang out at my friends house Tony but left before his folks came home, we would pick a name at random from the phone book and call, when some one answered we would tell them we were calling from The Golden Shot and they had been picked to be on the show, I can not tell you how many people we arranged to meet at the studios in Aston at 12 noon on Sunday to be on the show, and of course we just got better at the prank as time went on, (Lord Please Forgive Me)

A new channel has appeared on my TV the ‘Smithsonian Channel’ and I’ve just watched the 85 day battle across Normandy which took place after D Day. It was a very hard fight.
That's a regular tune in for me here in states along with the history channel and another AHC

Saturday morning watching a show called, Produced by George Martin dated 2011, who I think was infact the real 5th Beatle of course he is gone now but one funny thing he says in the show the TP paper had EMI printed on each square reminded me of Izal I wonder what it cost ? and I suppose it was to stop people Knicking a a roll or 2

Last edited:
Inspector Montalbano is a series that I enjoy watching. The programme is on tonight BBC 4 at 9pm -10.55 pm. Have read some of the books too - quite a few to get through. I also enjoy watching Columbo.

Inspector Montalbano is a series that I enjoy watching. The programme is on tonight BBC 4 at 9pm -10.55 pm. Have read some of the books too - quite a few to get through. I also enjoy watching Columbo.
I enjoy watching Inspector Montalbano even though I don’t normally watch subtitled programs. I like the scenery and sometimes amusing interplay between the characters.

Is there really anythink worth watching on TV today.Not a lot.Watched EVE tonight.How could anyone recover from the stabbing she was supposed to have had in the last series.Whant watch again. Back to Netflix

Is there really anythink worth watching on TV today.Not a lot.Watched EVE tonight.How could anyone recover from the stabbing she was supposed to have had in the last series.Whant watch again. Back to Netflix

Documentaries Edifi somthing educational thats what you want , none of this cloud cuckoo land stuff

Enjoy Netflix while you can I think its going the way of the Do-Do bird they have cut back on the shows they produce, they are 12 billion dollars in debt and are up against other streaming services coming on line, the big one Disney it will be all about content and Netflix will not have it.
Netflix costs me $13.00 a month but the last time on I logged on most my English shows I like where gone.
We have a new service here in the States called Britbox it has a lot of English shows its some kind of partnership with the Beeb and Itv

The Isle of man TT races been watching all week comes on real late here, the speeds these guys are going wow makes my old BSA 500 with a side car look slow or my Royal Enfield constellation 700 that took me to Bromsgrove Collage

I can't understand why anyone in the UK pays for a television service like Sky or Netflix when there is Freeview and Freesat with 153 channels (at the last count) available for free.

At my age I don't even have to pay the licence :) but the BBC want's to change that, they need more funds so that they can continue to pay mediocre talent £3 million a year.

I don't know how true it is but I heard a comment on one of the Have I got News for You shows that they pay Ian Hyslop 20 grand for each appearance.

My S/law pays £6-99 a month for Netflix but for that he can have 4 other members of the family on Netflix for free .So it doesn't cost me a penny.What a saving

I like watching old films on Talking Pictures. Watched "Operation Amsterdam", starring Tony Britton, a few weeks ago. He is Birmingham-born and today is his 95th birthday. Thought we had a separate thread for him but couldn't find it.

I can't understand why anyone in the UK pays for a television service like Sky or Netflix when there is Freeview and Freesat with 153 channels (at the last count) available for free.

At my age I don't even have to pay the licence :) but the BBC want's to change that, they need more funds so that they can continue to pay mediocre talent £3 million a year.

I don't know how true it is but I heard a comment on one of the Have I got News for You shows that they pay Ian Hyslop 20 grand for each appearance.

I can believe any figure mentioned , there was a list published some months ago . If my memory serves right the lowest BBC presenter is on between £150-200 thousand a year , take someone like Paul Martin(Flog It) £300-400 thousand a year. This will probably strike chord as to why the tv licence is so dear Eric(no disrespect) ro those that have to pay , and when you analyse what some of them do it's money for old rope

I like watching old films on Talking Pictures. Watched "Operation Amsterdam", starring Tony Britton, a few weeks ago. He is Birmingham-born and today is his 95th birthday. Thought we had a separate thread for him but couldn't find it.

here you go dave bit about tony on below thread

There are one or two former telephone engineers on BHF. There was an interesting program on BBC 4 tonight. It was all about the the telephone system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back