• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete,

I might watch the occasional foreign film on YouTube, but I find subtitles tiring and you miss a lot of the action. When they used to stream the Grand Met operas locally, that was a bit better because I generally knew the plot and the libretto was not really of that much interest. I feel for the Greeks because most of the films on Greek TV are American with subtitles. Their only other options are Greek soaps & if you thought Crossroads was bad, those are ten times worse - old hags with far too much makeup and appalling acting. Even my son was in one as a extra the other day! :)

Maurice :cool:

I don't watch TV - can't understand half of the dialogue due to my deafness - but I occasionally look in here to see it there are any "dirty stopouts" as my grandmother would call them. :)

Maurice, I have the same problem although I still watch some with the TV very loud. I like subtitles! My family has encouraged me to finally get hearing aids which I have resisted for about 10 years!

Maurice, I have the same problem although I still watch some with the TV very loud. I like subtitles! My family has encouraged me to finally get hearing aids which I have resisted for about 10 years!
nothing like a good hearing aid lol. how things have changed subtitles are ok but not all sky progs have them
1622203501913.png
i turn the sound off most timess

Richard / Pete,

Therein lies the problem. I had several lots of hearing aids over the years, and each ones were wound up until they reached feedback point and I replaced them. That was at considerable expense and like all aids they amplify everything, including the chatter and noise you don't want to hear as that adds to the confusion. I no longer consider that the expense is justified given my age and general health. The last pair cost me £1,600 and given that the Greek Health Service will give me a maximum of 400 euros towards the cost, I can think of better ways of spending around £1,200. :)

Mine is a hereditary deafness going back to my great grandfatherer who was born in 1835 and not plain degradation. I can listen to music using my AKG headphones, but that is somewhat different to differentiating between the high frequency sybilants of speech. My other half sits six feet from me at her computer and quite often I have to ask her to repeat words several times before I finally work out what she is on about! People quite often change topic in the middle of a conversation and I don't realise and find myself floundering. I can also quite often turn it to great advantage when I don't want to participate in a concersation. :) Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say!

Richard, i got a hearing aid about 3 years ago & it`s been fantastic. I can hear the chicks in the nesting box whilst i`m sat in the porch. Brilliant !

Richard / Pete,

Therein lies the problem. I had several lots of hearing aids over the years, and each ones were wound up until they reached feedback point and I replaced them. That was at considerable expense and like all aids they amplify everything, including the chatter and noise you don't want to hear as that adds to the confusion. I no longer consider that the expense is justified given my age and general health. The last pair cost me £1,600 and given that the Greek Health Service will give me a maximum of 400 euros towards the cost, I can think of better ways of spending around £1,200. :)

Mine is a hereditary deafness going back to my great grandfatherer who was born in 1835 and not plain degradation. I can listen to music using my AKG headphones, but that is somewhat different to differentiating between the high frequency sybilants of speech. My other half sits six feet from me at her computer and quite often I have to ask her to repeat words several times before I finally work out what she is on about! People quite often change topic in the middle of a conversation and I don't realise and find myself floundering. I can also quite often turn it to great advantage when I don't want to participate in a concersation. :) Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say!

One for the “sayings” thread. To cock a deaf ‘un !

Richard, i got a hearing aid about 3 years ago & it`s been fantastic. I can hear the chicks in the nesting box whilst i`m sat in the porch. Brilliant !
Smudger,

My expectations are very high! I will let you know how I make out.

What brand did you buy? most of the better ones in the US are European.

I also suffer with what my wife calls "selective deafness" "sorry love, did you say something" My solution is a pair of headphones linked to the TV, absolutely brilliant. You can have the sound on the TV turned off an it doesn't affect you.
I also like the Walter Presents programs as subtitles don't bother me, you get used to them after a time, plus I like a lot of the American dramas, Chicago PD Chicago Fire etc and I have watched The Blacklist from the start.

I watch quite a lot of sport on the tv, mostly baseball & hockey at the moment...There are many times when I hit the mute button and listen to music on my Ipod, it's much preferable to listening to the jabbering of commentators telling you what you are seeing.
Dave A

I also suffer with what my wife calls "selective deafness" "sorry love, did you say something" My solution is a pair of headphones linked to the TV, absolutely brilliant. You can have the sound on the TV turned off an it doesn't affect you.
I also like the Walter Presents programs as subtitles don't bother me, you get used to them after a time, plus I like a lot of the American dramas, Chicago PD Chicago Fire etc and I have watched The Blacklist from the start.
Selective hearing/deafness has worn out with my wife & daughter that's why I am being forced :confused: :( into spending all that money on hearing aids. Smudger gives me a great deal of encouragement!

I don't watch TV - can't understand half of the dialogue due to my deafness - but I occasionally look in here to see it there are any "dirty stopouts" as my grandmother would call them. :)

My aunty Phyll used to say of the TV programmes, they are in the bleeping bed again, you turn your head and they are at it. Even the bleeping adverts. She left her sideboard like digital radiogramme on when her husband died, as the clock stopped when he died, on the hour - minute and second, and her TV on, for company and she never turned it off.

Richard, I don`t think he realises you`re from "over the pond". National Health Service we have is excellent, & some hearing aids are free as was mine. I think that the behind the ear aids start at about £500 if you have to buy private, but like i said i think they`re brill. Beware some BTE aids are being offered for £149 online but they are rubbish.

Brooky!!! while the wife will be happy I thank the Lord for my radio shack ;)

I like BritBox, started off as a bit of a slow burner but its getting better all the time.

There is a free channel full of all sorts of junk and tat but you find some shows tucked away worth looking at and remember its free. Its available on your computer, android phone and NowTV sticks; Pluto TV. I love Deadly Women and the forensic shows and if your a Homes Under The Hammer fan its streams 24/7

Sorry if its been mentioned before.

any railway related progs.
i only hope peyton place dont return to the tv, or i too will retirer to the radio shack :grinning:

But hate to tell you two they are all slight variations on a theme - hit ball to one side of net, hit back, then back again , then back....till there is a pleasant change and someone misses it. Same with football , though rather more complicated. cycling, I admit is different as the scene changes all the time even though its the same wheels going round and round :innocent::innocent:

The same here Lyn, tennis , footie and one day cycle races in Europe but on 26th June my beloved 21 days of Tour de France starts.
Beats me how anyone can get excited over watching people on bikes. It`s akin to watching paint dry. Give me tiddly winks any day !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back