• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Water : Birmingham's water supply

Hi Stitcher. You've sold me the car option. Sounds like a much more civilised way to see the place! It's definitely on the list of things to do. Thanks Viv.

I took these pictures probably early to mid 1950s during the construction of the Claerwen Dam. It was a bank holiday and therefore no-one was working (remember those days?) and the only person on site was a watchman. Although he was a bit surprised to see us (very few people had ventured that far) he didn't object to us being there.

Claerwen_2.jpg Claerwen_1.jpg

DSC01557.jpgDSC01559.jpg
I am sorry I did not make notes of which photo is of what dam or stretch of water.

I took about fifty photos last time I called into the site but my son had most of the good pics after I had put them on this forum before it was attacked.

DSC01577.JPG-----DSC01580.JPG
As you go round the four resaviores there are vantage points and most have a lay-by so you are not in the way of other motorists if you want to take photos. Some of these lay-by's also have a bench and a wooden table so can sit and have a picnic if you have the stuff with you.

--DSC01583.JPG--------DSC01584.jpg
I am always amazed at the craftsmanship that is so obvious in the brickwork.

Yesterday I went to Llanelli to see an old friend who suffering from dementia, he is 91 this year and I go to see him about half a dozen times during the late spring and summer months. I use various routes and I sometimes go Cleobury Mortimer, Clee Hill and on to ludlow and then the Elan Valley where I have a sandwich and a coffee in the Visitor Centre. It is a long way round and I have little time to dally so everything has to be right for that route such as early start, nice weather and feeling good. Yesterday was not a good day because of traffic and roadworks so I was really pressed for time, I am telling you this because I did say I will get a leaflet from the centre and post it on here, it is very informative with details of our water supply. Hopefully my next trip to South Wales will be less demanding and allow me time to collect this leaflet.

I took these pictures probably early to mid 1950s during the construction of the Claerwen Dam. It was a bank holiday and therefore no-one was working (remember those days?) and the only person on site was a watchman. Although he was a bit surprised to see us (very few people had ventured that far) he didn't object to us being there.

View attachment 75415 View attachment 75416

Jukebox these are amazing photo's thank you for posting them. I have been many times to visit the Dam's. My father often took us as children. He was an engineer and loved to marvel at the Dams and the construction. I bet my father would have visited them at this time. We still visit quite often as we have a mobile home not far from the area.

Here is a photo of Claerwen Dam taken last year.

Clerwen_Damn.JPG

Here is the reservoir

Caravan_in_Wales_053.JPG

DSC01560.JPG-----DSC01563.JPG
What an idyllic setting for a home but I would not be comfortable because I would have a fear of the dam cracking and millions of gallons of water washing me away.

Don't worry Stitcher - They've disbanded the Dambuster's, although if you upset Eric (Cookie), he still remembers how to fly them!

Hello Brian, I know the dam is safe and it is all in my mind but I just would not be able to relax. I could never live in a house without a decent sized front garden because I would always be waiting for a bus lorry or car to come through the wall. I will drive anywhere but would not go on a coach or a train and the last time I was on a bus I was driving it in the late 70s.

DSC01565.JPG-----DSC01567.jpg
Another view of that house and one of the plaque on the wall of the dam.

DSC01581.JPG-----DSC01582.JPG
On my next trip to see Bob in Wales I will call into the visitor Centre and pick up a leaflet. It is full of information about the dams and reservoirs.

DSC01569.JPG-------DSC01578.JPG
If I were any good with a paint brush I would spend a lot of time in this valley.

DSC01571.jpg-----DSC01572.jpg
Another two of The Claerwen, these are the last of my photos but I will call in and pick up a leaflet in the not too distant future.

Went many times with both junior and senior schools, to visit the dam's and lakes, which supplied Birmingham with water, very scenic if I remember.
paul

Here are five photos I took on 3rd September during a slight detour while travelling from Crediton, Devon to Aberystwyth, Ceredigion.
I hadn't been to the Elan Valley for 54 years so the few extra miles were hardly noticed (door-to-door we did 4,833 miles, with three small children all below the age of 5½ years!).
As you can see, the day wasn't brilliant, but the weather did little to reduce the enjoyment of appreciating the magnificent scenery and majesty of the dams.
So thank you yet again, Stitcher, for reintroducing me to the splendour of mid-Wales and the source of Birmingham's water, which I imagine to be of a higher quality than that of any city in Europe.
David

September 2012 100.jpg September 2012 106.jpg September 2012 116.jpg September 2012 118.jpg September 2012 122.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely photo's David so pleased you had a good trip. Here's another damn on the Nant-Y-Moch reservoir we took a couple of weeks ago.West_Wales_today_023.JPG

Great pictures David, my son took me to Fishguard a couple of weeks ago, no shortage of rain, you can see why the dams were built there. Bernard

Lovely views. Never been to the Elan Valley but always felt a connection because we did a project about it at junior school and made a massive papier mache model of the valley. To this day it's always stuck in my mind. Must get over there and visit, it looks like a beautiful part of Wales. Viv.
Vivienne, when I worked as a milkman in the City Centre, I used to deliver to the 'Water Department' the offices of which are now The Water Hall. I also delivered to various departments in the Council House Extension building part of which is now The Gas Hall previously being the Gas Department. I can remember seeing on display in there a tabletop model of the Elan Valley showing the 'new' Claewen reservoir, I wonder if it is the one you helped to make? Amazingly I also delivered to Sir William Halcrow & Partners who I now know (thanks to your link) designed the dam, their office was in Cavendish House in Waterloo Street a very apt address!!

My Grandpa, Horace Wilde, was Superintendent of the Birmingham Water Dept. from well before the war until he retired on 8th October 1954. I have the gold watch here that the manual workers presented to him on his retirement.
I was born at The Lodge, 12, Waterworks Rd. Edgbaston, Bham., 17. in the house that went with the job where he lived.
I remember walking in the pipe yard and looking over Rotton Park reservoir as a child.
The Midland Red had their coachworks just off the road there.
There was a pig bin outside on the pavement.

What lovely memories of your Grandpa, his job would have been quite important Stan, what lovely memories for you living at the Lodge. I am sure his gold watch is treasured by the family.

Water charges (domestic) 1893.....

I have found this in my trunk of treasures. An explanation of the domestic charges in 1893 for Birmingham...

I'm not quite sure whether it relates to the Heptinstall side (would be Wood Street) or the Lambourne side (Spring Road, Edgbaston)

It's quite intriguing; the bottom of page two says:...

"A supply of water for domestic purposes shall include a supply for one water-closet, but not for baths, or for cattle, or for horses, or washing carriages where such horses or carriages are kept for hire, or by common carriers or for any trade, manufacture or business whatsoever or so watering gardens or for fountains or for any ornamental purpose
In addition to the rates for the supply for domestic purposes, the Corporation may demand and receive, for every additional water-closet beyond the first, in any house, any yearly sum not exceeding four shillings"

I have just discovered 24 photos that I posted on this thread some time ago. Unfortunately there is no information with them, just the pictures. Will it be o/k if I repost them?
Sorry about this folks but I have found that most of the original Pics are still on the forum so when I get time I will check and re-post any missing ones.

Back