• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Water : Birmingham's water supply

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Introduction
A water supply, unlike gas or electricity, is essential to human life, and man has always settled next to a natural water supply.
Rivers had industrial uses too, for grinding, driving hammers and bellows, and later for slitting metal strip. Water was also used in quantity for wool fulling and leather tanning. In 1086, the Domesday Book listed mills at Aston, Erdington and Handsworth. By the early 16th Century, others were working at Digbeth and the Manor House Moat in the town itself and also at Pebble Mill, Holford (Perry Barr) and Bromford. In the 18th century, water power was the principal means of industrial production, and Matthew Boulton took over Edward Ruston’s steel mill in 1761 to set up his Soho Manufactory, where the steam engine was later designed and built in quantity. The following list of Birmingham’s rivers includes many former mills (underlined).
Old Birmingham’s principal river was the River Rea, which runs roughly northwards from the Lickey Hills, through Kings Norton and down to Cannon Hill, where it joins the Bourn Brook from Bartley Green, which in its turn takes in Merritts Brook, also known as Griffins Brook at Selly Oak, then Stonehouse Brook, and lastly Chad Brook, which drains Edgbaston, Harborne, Bearwood and parts of Smethwick. The River Rea continues as a substantial river through Pebble Mill and Balsall Heath to pass beneath Deritend at Rea Street of course, past Duddeston Mill, Saltley and Nechells to join the Tame near Bromford. Most of it today runs under cover, but street names such as Rea Street and Floodgate Street are evidence of the former importance of the river.
The River Tame flowed eastwards from Rowley regis, Willenhall and Wednesbury, past Hamstead Mill, through Perry Barr and past Holford Mill to Witton, under Salford Bridge and Bromford Bridge to Castle Bromwich, and on to Burton on Trent and the North Sea. Tributaries to the Tame came from Great Barr and Sutton Park, via Kingstanding Perry Common and Brookvale.
Hockley Brook originates in Smethwick and Handsworth, continuing through Hockley and Aston, under Thimble Mill Road to join the Tame near Salford Bridge.
Quite separately, the River Cole starts near Solihull and flows through Yardley Wood (Trittiford Mill) where it picked up the Chinn Brook from Walker’s Heath, continuing roughly parallel with the Rea past Sarehole Mill down to Spark Hill, where it was known as Spark Brook, and then to Hay Mills, Stechford, where it veers eastwards to Babbs Mill and Coleshill before joining the Tame near Shustoke.

1826 - Birmingham Waterworks Company
For 200 years until the early 16th century, Birmingham had a population of only 1000 or so, but by 1650 the figure had risen to 5000, by 1750 to 24 000 and by 1800 to 74 000, and most of that within a square mile surrounding the Bull Ring. By this time, local water supply would have been widely supplemented by wells - where landowners could afford them - but the population would have been so dense in the town centre that the concentration of sewage effluent might pollute the well water. A feature of town life in the early 19th century was the water carrier, who would sell (relatively) fresh water from a cart by the gallon.
The earliest attempt to provide the town of Birmingham with an organised supply of water was made in 1808, when notice of a Bill to permit such works was given in Parliament. The scheme was strongly opposed, and in 1809 a town's meeting was convened to consider the proposal. The meeting appointed a committee, rejected the idea of a waterworks. A second Bill was rejected in 1811, and nothing more happened until 1826, when Parliament granted powers constituting "the Company of Proprietors of the Birmingham Waterworks for the purpose of providing a sufficient and constant supply of good and wholesome water for domestic, manufacturing and other purposes" The area to be supplied included Birmingham, Aston, Duddeston, Nechells and Edgbaston, an area of approximately 2215 acres. Under the Act the prescribed sources of supply were the River Tame and the Hawthorn Brook, but only the former was used. The water supply was at first only intermittent, but in 1849, at the request of the Sanitary Committee of the Corporation, the Company agreed to give a constant supply in certain districts. It was not until 1853, however, that a constant supply was given throughout the Company's area. It is believed that Birmingham then enjoyed the distinction of being the only town in the country with a constant supply of water.
In 1854 a gas tank at Willenhall suddenly burst; the fluid from this found its way into the River Tame, poisoning the fish and rendering the water unfit for domestic use. Fortunately the Company had time to exclude the polluted water from entering the reservoir and mains, but water for domestic purposes had once again to be taken round in carts for a time. This occurrence brought home to the Company the futility of relying on one source of supply only, the more so in view of the increase of population, the opening of new coalfields, and the erection of factories and workshops which were rapidly rendering the stream unfit for domestic water supply purposes.
New sources therefore had to be found, and the Company's second Act of 1854, and subsequent Acts obtained by 1870, authorised the erection of additional pumping stations, the construction of reservoirs and the sinking of deep wells. The stream through Sutton Park was also tapped. By 1873 the water was raised by engine power at Minworth to a height of 360 to 200 feet, and stored in large reservoirs at Witton Lakes and Perry and further works were later executed for filtering and pumping the waters of the river BIyth and Bourne from its source, about 16 miles east of the town. There were six distributing engines of about 1,000 horse power at Aston, where the water was raised a second time by 250 feet, and thence supplies the greater portion of the town. The highest parts of Edgbaston and Moseley required another engine to lift portion of the water an additional 80 feet, In 1873 the total quantity supplied was about 3,000,000,000 gallons per annum.
The Birmingham Waterworks Tower at Edgbaston Reservoir was designed by J. H. Chamberlain and built in 1870. The reservoir was first built to feed the canals, a hundred years previously.

1876 - Birmingham Corporation Water Department
The Birmingham Corporation Act of 1875 empowered the city to purchase the water Company, which it did on 1 January, 1876. In addition to tapping the Rivers Bourne and Blythe, Plant's Brook and Perry Stream, the bCorporation dug six deep wells at Aston, Short Heath, King's Vale, Perry, Selly Oak, and Longbridge. These sources yielded a daily supply of about twenty million gallons, and storage was provided in 14 reservoirs of a total capacity of 628.5 million gallons.
By 1891 it was clear that the supply was being outstripped by the growth of the city. In spit of opposition within the Council and in Parliament, the Birmingham Corporation Water Act was passed 1892. This authorised the purchase of land imn South Wales on the upper portion of the Rivers Elan and Claerwen, in the counties of Radnor, Brecknock, Cardigan and Montgomer. Three reservoirs on the Elan and three on the Claerwen were authorised, together with an aqueduct to carry the water to Birmingham, a reservoir, filtration works and pumping station at Frankley, trunk mains into the distribution area. Construction work started in 1893 and was completed towards the end of 1906, shortly after a Royal opening by King Edward VII, accompanied by Queen Alexandra, on 21 July 1905. The water from Elan aqueduct was discharged into two storage reservoirs at Frankley and Bartley, designed to provide sufficient storage to meet the demands for water in the area of supply during any prolonged interruption in the supply from Wales consequent on any serious breakdown on the aqueduct.
To meet prospective increases in the consumption of water, the Corporation planned in 1914, to lay a third pipe on the aqueduct, but work was postponed during World War 1. In 1919 it was decided to lay a third pipe line throughout the whole length by replacing the existing pipes as they fell due for replacement with larger bore, high-pressure pipes.
The capacity of the aqueduct with two 42 inch diameter mains from Wales in 1921 was about 25 million gallons per day.
The average consumption for the year to 31 March, 1942, excluding bulk supplies, was over 43 million gallons a day, the estimated average population supplied being 1 225 000.

of 1892

I Drink to This

:) PETER,,Absolutely brilliant,, very well wriitten posting indeed,,
Accurate, Informative, Entertaining, Great to see Our History unfold thus,,
Thank You,,,, Cheers (Water :wink: ) John

We all grew up on the story of our water from the Elan valley didn't we.

Thank you for putting it all into contexct Peter. :D

Hi Peter

Ref water supply from the Elan Valley now living in wales means a trip there is only an hour and half away. It’s a fantastic place to visit for scenery/wildlife/etc there is a museum and there are some good websites with the history on. As a child I was amazed by the model in Cannon Hill Park and I can say now the detail is almost perfect. is it still there or have the vandals destroyed what I would call a piece of my childhood history.

John Edward

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peter, just read your post, yet again, of the Birmingham water supply. Di asked me in a previous post (census) about Aston Water House, we have someone living at that address in 1851, am I right in thinking and assuming that this Aston Water House is possibly Aston Mill, because in 1833 the mill was both owned and occupied by the Birmingham Waterworks company. :smitten:
:flower: :cat:

Sorry. Loisand, no idea just now about Aston Water House, but can you leave it with me? I've just been re-reading the references with a view to updating my earlier stuff on water supply and drainage etc. I will make a point of looking out for Aston Water House. It's amazing what surprises you come up with.
Peter

Just in case you miss my reply to Loisand in the census section Peter and John, the nearest houses to the Water House are Aston Park Cottages and Aston Vicarage. Looking at the map I think that's the one. :)

Di, that seems to fit into all the possibilities. I would guess that John's map dates from the early 19th century. The First Edition 1" OS map of 1834 shows a stream from about where Witton Circle is now, past where the 'water engine' is shown on John's map, and joining the River Tame on its old meander just north of the parish church [before the railway embankment was built ca 1838. But it's hard to imagine that the stream would have enough current to drive a 'water engine', when the Tame nearby was so much bigger.
Once again, our collective wisdom is discovering history that would otherwise go to waste.
Peter

The census I looked at is 1851, Peter, so it does fit in well. Looking again as John's map the mill is called Water Engine, Is it possible it could have been steam powered, would that have meant power would be less dependant on water flow?

Good morning, Di, I don't think they would have used steam power, when they had water power for free, even in Victorian times.
Peter

Back again, this time with an extract from the 1849 Post Office Directory

ASTON
Aston tavern, Mrs, Jane Wilson
Armishaw Misses Ann & Elizabeth, ladies' boarding school
Boland Mr. Richard
Brady Mr. Cornelius
Butler William, blacksmith
CoIlett Mrs
Fenwicke Rev. George Ouseley, M A, (Vicarage house)
Goode Mr. Benj Willmam
Hervey Mr. James
Holt's Almshouses, for 5 poor men & 5 women
Jackson Mr. Thomas
Longmore Mr.Thomas
Potter Richd, farmer (Aston park)
Roberts Frederick James, engraver, armourer to the Queen's Own Worcestershire yeomanry;
& clerk & sexton to Aston parish, & post office
Sims Mr. Joseph (Aston park)
ST. PETER'S & ST.PAUL'S CHURCH
Rev. (G. 0 , Fenwicke, M.A., minister
Rev.T. Farebrother, M.A. ) assistant
Rev. D. N. Walton, M.A. ) ministers
Sharman Thomas, maltster
Turner Mr. James
James Thornas, miller
Winton Joseph, farmer (Aston park)

ASTON BROOK.
Powell Thomas, jun. miller

and (if I can attach them properly), some maps.
As the Vicarage was on the other side of the road from and roughly south-east of the the church, I wonder if the Water house was somewhere on that side. And who occupied it in 1849 - was it Frederick James Roberts, who seems to have been the leading light in that tiny community, or was it James Thomas the miller? Fascinating stuff, I think.
Peter

I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject, but could the mill have been near the Serpentine (where the Onion Fair used to be held) I believe Serpentine was an old name for a lake and could have been the source of water for the mill.

Sylvia, My Dad used to tell of the Serpentine being a lake when he was young also the lake at Salford that became the cycle/running track which was used for Aston water, if my memory serves me right there used to be a water works near to Salford park on the right hand side of LICHFIELD RD, ASTON HALL RD JUNCTION .
A Post Office on the Lichfield road at this junction was called "WATER WORKS POST OFFICE" My Aunt Edith was the Post Mistress for a number of years .
ASTON

Aston you are right, I had forgotten about Waterworks Street, which I have just looked up, it was at the junction with 382 Lichfield Road.
My dad also told me he remembered when the Serpentine was a lake.

More interesting details Sylvia and Aston.

Peter the name at the Water HOuse in 1851 was James Taylor I'll have another search of the census when I get mo.

This is what I found:

First of all Brummie Nick found and posted this in Loisand's reques for a look up on the 1851 for Thomas James. The name is reversed, but it should read Thomas James, his wife being named as Alice James.

Head: JAMES, Thomas         Neighbors     287266
Name   Relationship   Mar   Age    Sex   Occupation    Birthplace
Thomas  JAMES   Head   M   67   M   Steck Toy Maker   Birmn-Warwicksh
Alice  JAMES   Wife   M   58   F   ---   Birmn-Warwicksh
   Address:   Waterworks Mill, ---
   Census Place:   Aston Aston, Warwickshire
   PRO Reference:   HO/107/2062   Folio:   8   Page:   9   FHL Film:   0087320

The  water house is next to the vicarage, then comes Aston Village, in the middle of which is Aston tavern, Inn Keeper Jane Wilson, one for you Peter. After that are the alms houses and the last household recorded on that schedule is Waterworks Mill. So do we have two  mills?

Some progress on the Aston mill mystery so far:
1. There was an early mill on the Tame itself, just above the reservoir formed in about 1830 to supply Birmingham and Aston with drinking water [see 1834 map above]. In 1849 and 1851, Thomas James was recorded in 1849 as miller at that address [1849 Post Office Directory]. By 1851 he was recorded in the census as a Steck Toy Maker, 67 years old, at the Aston Waterworks mill [see Di's extract from 1851 census], which I think we can assume was the same building.
2. There was also (?) the Aston Water House, possibly the same location as the water engine away on a separate stream from the river, close to Witton Lane [see John's map, probably about 1830 - pre-railway in 1838], it could have been worked by the flow from the lake on the other side of Witton Lane, clearly shown on the 1881 map, before it was filled in to form the football pitch ca 1883. In 1851 Di says it was occupied by James Taylor. It would be interesting to learn what his occupation was.
3. These are quite separate from the older and larger mill on Aston/Hockley Brook over a mile to the south, occupied by Thomas Powell in 1849.
4. The large-scale OS map of 1904 shows the big Aston Wells pumping station, opposite the reservoir, on the other side of the River Tame, which might have been fed with coal from the Tame Valley Canal nearby, although there is no sign of a wharf there. Or it might have been fired by gas, which came cheap in Corporation days. The original Aston Pumping station, which pumped the water up to the reservoir at Edgbaston, was on the east side of Lichfield Road, right opposite Waterworks Street. It backed on to the Fazeley Canal, and had wharfing facilities. It can just about be seen on the 1881 map. There was also another small pumping station marked on the 1904 map, on Aston Hall Road (then known as Aston Lane), in the fork of the railway lines.
5. Going on to the Serpentine Ground, the 1834 map shows how the River Tame used to meander over the flat ground near the parish church. The next map of 1881 shows the new direct line cut when the railway embankment was built in 1838, cutting off the old meander (also known as an ox-bow or serpentine lake). The large scale map dated 1913 shows the old line of the river marked by surviving parish boundary. You can just about see two paltry ponds in the lowest ground next to the railway bank. I think they were filled in by the time I went to the Onion Fair in the 1940s. The Onion Fair is well documented on the Aston Website.
I have a lot to correct and add on the waterworks history, which I hope to do fairly soon. The more you delve the more you learn.
Peter

Is this the 1888 map,showing the diverted river Tame.
Picture is as it was, & shows the Serpentine area which was filled in & played host to the Carnival & Onion Fairs in later years.
I hope I have My facts right?
ASTON

Hi Aston,
Yes and no.
Yes - The wonderful map you have posted does show a tiny bit of the diverted River Tame north of the railway bank on the extreme right of the picture. I've not seen that map before, and quite carried away now. The 1881 map I meant this morning was the tiny 1" map I attached yesterday. Your map shows the first piece of building up east of Witton Lane, with Holte Road brand new, partly on the site of the old water house. An open culvert remained from the former stream coming from the direction of Witton Circle, that I mentioned yesterday. Your map also shows a straight ditch moreorless following the old meander to the edge of the picture.
No - your picture was drawn near the site of Salford or Safford House near Gravelly Hill. The picture below was seen from what is roughly the junction of Tame Road and Bickford Road today, again before the railway embankment, showing the Tame winding round all the pasture land which later became the Serpentine Ground.
All fascinating stuff!
Peter

Yes I can see that now from your post Peter, it was right behind the church as shown, the one I had was much further away as you say in the direction of Salford Park as now is.
ASTON

John,
That a lovely picture, but it's a bit more fanciful than realistic, and it has wrongly been described as the bridge over the Tame. The railway runs on the south side of the river all the way from Bescot. The purpose of the arches was to span the Lichfield Road and Fazeley Canal, which were conveniently some distance below rail level.
As often happens, the artist allowed himself quite a bit of licence, dwelling on the silhouettes of Aston Hall and parish church. His viewpoint would have high ground off Long Acre north of Holborn Hill, and the building in the foreground would have been on Lichfield Road. The pool in the foreground is a bit of a fudge because Holborn Hill was already on the map before the railway was built. You can see what appears to be a bridge over the canal, leading into the water. There was some water there of course, because Hockley/Aston Brook passed in a separate smaller culvert, under the embankment on the extreme left, just behind the bushes. Holborn Hill was laid out some time before the drawing was made, and would have run in a straight line down to Lichfield Road.
But it's a nice picture for all that.
Peter

Peter, James Taylor was Metal Roller on the1851 Census,of which there are many on all of the census. What metal would be rolled in a mill in those days? Was it just steel, or did they work with other metals?

Thomas James is recorded as Steck Toy Maker, the transcribers mistake. It should read Steel Toy Maker, toy being implements tather than childrens playthings.

Di, as you say, toys meant all sorts of things that were not really playthings, mostly novelties, but some which could have a serious use.
The purpose of rolling was to produce sheet, which could then be slitted to make thin strip, or pressed or stamped to produce specialised objects, especially those in the toy line. As to the metals that were rolled, steel was really hard work, different alloys of brass were the most common, but they also rolled precious metals in very small quantities.
Peter

Peter, thats why my Dad always called it the Ten arches on the Litchfield RD I can see from Johns Pic the bridge has Ten Arches. That was by Aston Station & the bottom of Holborn Hill.
ASTON

Just been re-reading the piece on Aston Mill in the Victoria County History, which you can see for free on the net once you've enrolled - it's brilliant. I have added in italics the footnotes which tell you where the information is taken from - BRL is Bham Ref Library I assume, and BM the old Public Record Office now at Kew, near me.
Peter

"ASTON MILL with its pool lay on a southern branch of the Tame north-east of Aston Church. It was probably the mill in Aston mentioned in Domesday Book. [VCH Warws. i. 332] The mill is mentioned in the late 13th and early 14th centuries, [W. Fowler, Hist. of Erdington (1885); CP 25 (1)/244/ 33/6, two mills in Duddeston and Aston; C 134/62/2] and again in the 16th century. ([BM Add. Ch. 47993 (1551)] Simon Othen was miller in 1574 [BRL 347996] and William Stirrop in 1614. [BRL 277422] It was mentioned with the manor in 1656. [CP 43/294/132: the manors of Aston and Nechells and a mill] Between 1718 and 1720 Daniel Saunders was the tenant. [BRL 277421] At this time the mill was paying more than twice the tithe owed by the neighbouring mills in Castle Bromwich, Deritend, and Bordesley. [BRL 259301] In 1762 it was leased for 21 years to Thomas Hooper. [BRL 21267; BRL 276521 (1773)] The building marked as 'George Bicknell's' on the canal map of 1791 may be Aston Mill. [Wright's Canal Map (1791) (BRL 114875)] Between 1818 and 1828-9 it was held by James Collins. [BRL 134206; Pigot's Nat. Com. Dir. (1828-9)] In 1833 the premises were said to be both owned and occupied by the Birmingham Waterworks Company. [Fowler, Map of Aston (c. 1833) (BRL 305039, 305040)] From 1845 to 1860 Thomas James was the tenant of the company at the mill, which was still a water corn mill, [Aston Tithe Apportionment, 1845 (BRL 299988); Kelly's Dir. Birm. (1860), 196] but by 1887 the mill had disappeared and there was a pumping station on the site. [O.S. Map 6" Warws. VIII. SW. (1st edn.)]"

From: 'Economic and Social History: Mills', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 253-69.
URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22970.
Date accessed: 30 October 2006.

Hi Peter, it's a brilliant site, I got the basic info on some of the mills from there, the rest has come from trawling the net, library books, countless hours in the reference sections of different libraries and from this web ring, my next encounter will be with Birmingham Central Library, so many a day will be spent up there from now on. :smitten:
:flower: :cat:

You can trace the name of the River Rea on older maps up to what is now Waseley Hills Country Park, but it drains a large area to its west, including Bartley Green, Selly Oak, Harborne and Edgbaston. The funny thing is it doesn't drain much land to the right (east) because the river Cole runs roughly parallel, and not far away.
Peter

Back