• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ward st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..i think this will be a toughie....i am looking for any pics of ward st. and was only a small st....i beleive it was just off summer lane...

any help would be great...

lyn

Was any building in this street of any worldwide fame, Lyn? Might help us to focus on National Geographic Magazine or the International Herald Tribune and save us a lot of time that way. Will i have to do my famous "find the pub interior" routine nearer the time maybe?

Richie.

lol richie...i dont think so..the street was that small i think we will have trouble finding any pics of it..here is a map of where it was...

lyn

I've tried looking in Phyllis Nicklin's slide selection but to no avail. But Lyn, you wanna tell everyone that on the Phyliss Nicklin site some one has been adding loads of extra pictures recently. Plenty of Aston/Lozells in the 1950's too! Go to the bottom of the page after the original alphabet runs out.

thanks for looking richie...yes i think the whole of phyllis nicklins pics are now available...i will take a look though just in case i have missed any...

lyn

ps i have not forgotton that drink i owe you...

Sorry not a picture of the road, but this factory was 47, Ward Street in 1965.
Joseph Gloster were Silversmiths and T. Pope were nameplate makers.

Colin

i now have a pic of ward st...dated 1961 i think this is taken looking towards new summer st...

ward st 1960 unit 113.jpgward street dated 1960..pretty sure its looking towards new summer st

lyn

hi irene im sure i had 2 of ward st but can only find that one at the min..no i didnt live there..if i find the other one i will post it on here for you..

lyn

new one folks...court 9 ward st and a map to go with it..did not realise that there was a pub in ward street...would love to find a photo of it

ward st court 9.jpg [ATTAH]106655[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing court 9 Ward St.jpg
    map c 1889 showing court 9 Ward St.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi does anyone have a map or photo showing Ward Street around 1911 My family are showing on 1911 census as being at 1 Ward Street. Thank you

Here is a larger scale map, with numbering from c 1950. there appears to have been soem bomb damage , but not near no 1 , so thta part would have been about the same in 1911.
map c 1950 ward st.jpg

if the 2 pillars in this photo and i cant be certain lead to court 2 then i think no 1 is just out of shot but looking at the map again they could lead to court no 5..anyhow the photo is taken on the same side as no 1 looking towwards new summer st...dated 1960 just before demolision

lyn

ward st 1960.jpg

Thank you all so much - so after it was demolished it did it become something else or is there still a Ward Street there?

still looking for a photo of the hope and anchor pub ward st but here is one of the malt shovel corner of lower tower st/ward st

lyn

ward st malt shovel corn with lower tower st.JPG

Lyn

A couple of Ward Street, one of a factory premises in 1965 and an earlier one of 8 court.

Aston Ward Street 1965.jpg Newtown Ward Street 8 court.JPG

cheers phil..we have a photo of court 8 and 9 now...i think the 60s factory you posted is still there although not the same company

lyn

cant be exact bronwen but probably dates between 1890s to early 1900s but i would think the court would have been there in 1841 when sarah probert ran the nearby hope and anchor pub

lyn

Last edited:
if the 2 pillars in this photo and i cant be certain lead to court 2 then i think no 1 is just out of shot but looking at the map again they could lead to court no 5..anyhow the photo is taken on the same side as no 1 looking towwards new summer st...dated 1960 just before demolision

lyn

View attachment 119743
Hello Astoness pommie again it has been a long time I have been very sick, I found the map that Tab 2106 asked
about. do not know if you can remember when you put the photo in for ward st , I told you I lived at number 6
right of the pillars. the toilet we would have to go to the top of the court yard. Tab 2106 said his family lived in
ward st . my family lived there to in the year 1911 England census my mom was 3 years old her sister was 2 years
they were boarders with their mom , the number was 5back of 6 Ward St B'ham. I lived in 3 houses in ward St
number 33 and the wood yard across the road think number 36, the last one was in number 6, moved in there
1942, I think there was more houses in the court at one time, because after the war my friends and I would
play in the Air-Raid shelter I do not know when they were build. my grandparents lived in court 3 1 back of 8.
pommie

Astoness
hi lyn just to say you put a photo of court 8, my grandmother in the polling district 1935 she lived at number
5 court 8 ward st before she remarried, she lived at number 5bk of 6 ward st that was court 2. lyn would know
if Bronwen had family who lived in court 8, I would go and see my nan when she lived 5 court 8 she moved
from there after the war. I moved from ward st 1951
pommie

new one folks...court 9 ward st and a map to go with it..did not realise that there was a pub in ward street...would love to find a photo of it

View attachment 106654 [ATTAH]106655[/ATTACH]
Hi Lyn this pommie just I was in the B'ham forum and seen a map c1889 of court 9ward st the photo of the yard I lived
in this house my brothers and me would play in the yard, where the doorway is on the left was the kitchen. this was the
wood yard I told you about from this house we moved across the road to number 6 ward st , Bob and Molly Wallace
moved in a there after was about 1943. Lyn I could not remember the number of this house. cheers pommie

Back