• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ward st

still looking for a photo of the hope and anchor pub ward st but here is one of the malt shovel corner of lower tower st/ward st

lyn

ward st malt shovel corn with lower tower st.JPG

Lyn

A couple of Ward Street, one of a factory premises in 1965 and an earlier one of 8 court.

Aston Ward Street 1965.jpg Newtown Ward Street 8 court.JPG

cheers phil..we have a photo of court 8 and 9 now...i think the 60s factory you posted is still there although not the same company

lyn

cant be exact bronwen but probably dates between 1890s to early 1900s but i would think the court would have been there in 1841 when sarah probert ran the nearby hope and anchor pub

lyn

Last edited:
if the 2 pillars in this photo and i cant be certain lead to court 2 then i think no 1 is just out of shot but looking at the map again they could lead to court no 5..anyhow the photo is taken on the same side as no 1 looking towwards new summer st...dated 1960 just before demolision

lyn

View attachment 119743
Hello Astoness pommie again it has been a long time I have been very sick, I found the map that Tab 2106 asked
about. do not know if you can remember when you put the photo in for ward st , I told you I lived at number 6
right of the pillars. the toilet we would have to go to the top of the court yard. Tab 2106 said his family lived in
ward st . my family lived there to in the year 1911 England census my mom was 3 years old her sister was 2 years
they were boarders with their mom , the number was 5back of 6 Ward St B'ham. I lived in 3 houses in ward St
number 33 and the wood yard across the road think number 36, the last one was in number 6, moved in there
1942, I think there was more houses in the court at one time, because after the war my friends and I would
play in the Air-Raid shelter I do not know when they were build. my grandparents lived in court 3 1 back of 8.
pommie

Astoness
hi lyn just to say you put a photo of court 8, my grandmother in the polling district 1935 she lived at number
5 court 8 ward st before she remarried, she lived at number 5bk of 6 ward st that was court 2. lyn would know
if Bronwen had family who lived in court 8, I would go and see my nan when she lived 5 court 8 she moved
from there after the war. I moved from ward st 1951
pommie

new one folks...court 9 ward st and a map to go with it..did not realise that there was a pub in ward street...would love to find a photo of it

View attachment 106654 [ATTAH]106655[/ATTACH]
Hi Lyn this pommie just I was in the B'ham forum and seen a map c1889 of court 9ward st the photo of the yard I lived
in this house my brothers and me would play in the yard, where the doorway is on the left was the kitchen. this was the
wood yard I told you about from this house we moved across the road to number 6 ward st , Bob and Molly Wallace
moved in a there after was about 1943. Lyn I could not remember the number of this house. cheers pommie

Astoness
Hi Lyn this is pommie I put in a massage in forum to you but I must have put it in the wrong place about court 9 ward st
hope you can find it

pommie

hello pommie unfortunately i am busy looking after my sister who has just come out of hospital so i dont have much time to spend on the forum for a while but when i have i will take a look for the post you made and get back to you when i can

all the best

lyn

hello pommie unfortunately i am busy looking after my sister who has just come out of hospital so i dont have much time to spend on the forum for a while but when i have i will take a look for the post you made and get back to you when i can

all the best

lyn
sorry to hear sis is ill. hope she recovers soon lyn,

to Bronwen Summers
my grandmother lived in court 8 house number 5 her name was Sadler, I lived in from ward street 1938 until 1951 did your
family live in ward street. I see you live in Christchurch NZ, I live Australia NSW
regards pommie

Hi all,

I've stumbled across these posts whilst doing a little research into my family history. I believe my great great grandfather and grandmother lived in no.10 (Arthur & Elsie Lutwyche).

If anyone still checks the thread it would be great if you could guide me to any other info.

Rob

What type of info are you looking for? Photos, memories, genealogy?

Looks like Arthur's mother was living next door at no 9 in the 1920s and in 1935 his brother Robert was living at no 8.

What type of info are you looking for? Photos, memories, genealogy?

Looks like Arthur's mother was living next door at no 9 in the 1920s and in 1935 his brother Robert was living at no 8.
Thanks for the speedy reply @MWS!

I'm literally just starting out, so I guess my reply was just to see who may be out there for now. I didn't think I'd receive a reply so soon :)

Just getting to grips with ancestry.co.uk's search tools too - very early stages.

Back