• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victoria Square

Any chance you could take a image of the coat of arms I carved about the entrance to the building on Bennets Hill before you get to News street, I worked on that also in 1951 or about, Many thanks John Crump oldBrit in Parker. Co USA

Got it - twice. (is there a Bennetts Hill thread?)

18 - 19 Bennetts Hill / 51, 52, 53 New Street - formerly the London & Lancashire Insurance Co.

18 - 19 Bennetts Hill / 51, 52 and 53 New Street - coat of arms (formerly the London & Lancashire Insurance Co.) by ell brown, on Flickr

18 - 19 Bennetts Hill / 51, 52 and 53 New Street (formerly the London & Lancashire Insurance Co.) - coat of arms by ell brown, on Flickr

Quote from Pevsner re the arms:

Good sculpture: cherubs and garlands, and the company's arms with fearsome gryphons.

18 - 19 Bennetts Hill / 51, 52 and 53 New Street (formerly the London & Lancashire Insurance Co.) by ell brown, on Flickr

Smashing! Thank you so much, three of us with Bill Bloye carved that in the bloody winter freezing our arses off! You must live near by? I have not been to Brum now for 5-6 years, My sister lives in Hagley. Hope to visit this year, IF my hip replacment this month goes OK, You can Email me direct at [email protected] if you wish. Thanks once again John Crump

I usually get the bus into the City Centre from where I live (in Hall Green).

I know all the routes that you can walk in the City Centre. New Street is now pedestrianised.

Saw this in the Birmingham Mail Queen Victoria's sceptre returned intact although they mispelt William Bloye's name as "William Boyle". Opps.
In the Birmingham Mail they called the article Statue's sceptre restored.

BIRMINGHAM’S famous statue of Queen Victoria has been returned to its former glory with her missing sceptre returned fully intact.
The restoration of the bronze tribute, created in marble by sculptor Thomas Brock following the Queen’s death in 1901, follows detective work by the Victorian Society.
Victoria’s sceptre, cradled in her right hand, has been missing its top, known as a capital, since the early 1990s.
The missing capital was amended to incorporate the Star of India in 1908. The statue was recast in bronze by William Boyle in 1958.

The Victorian Society unearthed photographs of the original and, working with the city council, commissioned Eura Conservation to recreate it.
Society regional chairman Stephen Hartland said: “Many of our campaigns are large but we are also able to call on our knowledge and expertise in smaller matters.”

Iron: Man by Antony Gormley, dating from 1993.

Iron: Man - Victoria Square, Birmingham by ell brown, on Flickr

The staue is usually referred to as The Iron Man. It is 6 metres high. It's feet are buried under the pavement. It was gift from the Trustee Savings Bank (TSB - now Lloyds TSB), being erected outside the former Head Post Office which was then there headquarters. It was originally title Untitled, until it became Iron Man then Iron: Man.

When the bank moved its HQ to Bristol, it was said that the statue should be relocated, but it stayed.

Video from TNT marking 20 years since the redeveloped Victoria Square opened

[youtube]U-DeqnnNEi4[/youtube]

The plaque unveiled by the late Diana, Princess of Wales on 6th May 1993

River and Youth plaque

Fountain of the Year 1995

Thank you for the video ellbrown, I enjoyed it and also there was one for the Coffin Works which was also very good.
rosie.

No problem. Hard to believe that 20 years has passed since it was re-opened. Good to see the River and Youth, and the Guardians being built. As well as the Victoria statue getting a clean!

Victoria Square looking towards Colmore Row. Looks about 1920s (?). Not seen the Birmingham Tramways sign on that building before. Also Victoria Square looks quite small at this time. When that corner was demolished the Square must have gained some pace. Also noticed the cupolas on the buildings, seem to have been quite a few buildings across the City had them at the time. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375540355.500852.jpg

Cluttered with statues.

Only Victoria survives in the square, but in a different position.

Priestley now outside the "old" Central Library (1974-2013).
And Dawson in storage at Dollman Street.

A ticket booth? A cab shelter? Not seen this before in any photos of Victoria Square. Maybe it was for a special occasion. Sorry, no date. Viv.

image.jpeg

Early 1920's? And not a bus in sight! The small conifers situated around the kiosk might suggest Christmastide or maybe not. :D

wonder who carved that inscription? It is very much like the work I did for Bill Bloye. People today have no idea how many things were done by hand those days, Now its all machine and computer done.

Last edited:
Back