• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victoria Square

Now we all know what happened in the 1966 sporting world, but does anyone remember this huge floral football in the Square ? Viv.

image.jpeg

It was the Moseley Folk Festival at the Birmingham Weekender event. They are usually in Moseley Park.

Much quieter in Victoria Square today.

Just St John Ambulance in the square.

Last edited:
New background for Queen Victoria in Victoria Square. One Chamberlain Square (which has stopped construction since Carillion collapsed as week ago).

The building is quite new. Saw a sign inside saying Lloyds. So assume offices above are for Lloyds Bank.

This is the building at 125 Colmore Row. The NatWest Tower at 103 Colmore Row is now demolished.

This is the third Lloyds Bank building to be on the corner of Colmore Row and Eden Place in my lifetime, The previous one was built in about 1964 replacing the earlier one at 125 Colmore Row. While this current building was being rebuilt the Colmore Row branch was moved across the road and this corner position was to be the new branch with regional offices above but I understand that Starbucks came in with an offer that Lloyds could not refuse. Westminster Bank was further along Colmore Row.

A very atmospheric photograph of The Council House, Birmingham.

29597608_2132159063680789_7844893686022620832_n.jpg

Viv
The map shows it must have been 1 Victoria square. In the 1930s this was Royal Exchange Assurance and National Provincial Insurance.

map c1951 showing 1 victoria square.jpg

It started to rain in the city centre many hours after the performance ended!

That rapper at first seemed like she was in the Gold Coast, but was actually in the Town Hall!

This time Team England was back from Gold Coast 2018 in Victoria Square. Also celebrating Birmingham 2022.

A freezing cold day in Birmingham but nice light. Getting ready for the Centenary of the end of WW1, or Christmas on the Council House.

does anyone know if there is to be a service at the hall of memory this year or actually anywhere in the city centre

thanks

lyn

Might be a parade up Colmore Row and a service at St Philip's this year. Not sure there's room for a parade along Centenary Way towards the Hall of Memory.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...mbrance-service-birmingham-moved-due-15235204

The Day of National Remembrance Service to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War has been moved – because work to revamp Centenary Square is overrunning by a year.

The 2018 Remembrance service will now be held in Colmore Row and St Philip’s Square of Birmingham Cathedral instead.

A suitable alternative site is also being sought for the big wheel and ice rink, with a licensing application being considered for Ladywell Walk in Southside close to Chinatown.

Because of current restrictions to the whole Broad Street area, there will again be no Christmas Craft Market.

Can't find a thread on the Council House, so I'll post these photos here!

I was at the Birmingham We Are event yesterday.

Banqueting Suite

Forward carpet

Mural in the Drawing Room

Glass Corridor

Grand Staircase with statues of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria.

Birmingham celebrates being a City for 130 years. Brum 130 Beyond Bricks and Mortar will be held in Victoria Square between 4pm and 6pm on Monday 14th January 2019.

Perhaps we could have a thread for Birmingham's 130th City birthday!

Surely London became a city under the original definition of having a cathedral, long before Birmingham existed

City Status in the United Kingdom on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_United_Kingdom

Westminster got city status officially in 1899. But may have had that title for 3 centuries before!

People still seem to call the whole of Great London a city when only the City of London (the square mile) and the City of Westminster have City Status! The rest are just London Boroughs or Royal London Boroughs!

Back