• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victoria Road Aston

Hi June,
I learned to swim at Victoria baths when my loving cousin, Diane Bent, let down my water wings without me knowing. Bless her.
My Grandparents lived there, William Spears and his wife Mary Ann nee Bassett, My mother was born there also, as was my aunt, Dora, b 1917 and Florence Spears 1907. I visited my Auntie Floss who lived there as Florry Bent after marrying William Bent until the 1950's. Can't recall the number but it was on the opposite side to the baths at ??? back of ??? where the new houses are now. Had some very good times up there, but how it has changed.

Dave were the Bents from Victoria road relted to the Bents from Vickarage road do you know?. My friend was Veronica Bent. What happened when Dianne let down your water wings was it sink or swim?. Jean.

Hi Jean,
Not sure about the relationship. Cannot recall Diane speaking of them and we were like brother and sister rather than cousins.
I actually swam over half a length before realising she had deflated me and had a right go at her. Her reply? Well at least you can swim now! In a very loud voice.
I will give Diane a ring about Veronica. How young would she be? I know Diane went to Vicarage Road Secondary.

Hi Jean,
Just spoke to Diane and she is unaware of Veronica, even though they are the same age and lived close to each other and of course Bent is a far from common name.
Dave

Patty and Denise Hodson have photographs of her and she too went to Vicarage road school or Manor Park as it became. Take care. Jean.

Anyone remember the Darby and/or the Jennings families - my dad was Norman Darby (he's now 84) and his sister was Ethel Darby who took the house on and she married Phil Jennings (they had a son David Jennings who lived at the house until he got married) -they lived at 25 Victoria road until it was knocked down.

Steve, Wendy may have the answer as she was just round the corner from there and was also a Jennings. Jean.

Patty I am SHOCKED I am a JENNEY Not a Jennnings <used to skate at the old ice rink with A Pete Jennings back in the 50/60s

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if they know if 197 Victoria Road still exists? its an address of a certificate from 1902 and most of the addresses i know have been demolished now but i see victoria road is still about. Obviously it may of been redeveloped into flats, or demolished, and i realise the street numbering has more than likely changed over the last 100 yrs, but then again theres always the possibility i hasnt....

just wondered if anyone has any knowledge on this road and they could help me out, would be great if the same house is still here with the same number is always had but i'll be surprised if it is.

Thank you

Aston

Hi Aston
No 197 is marked on the 1913 map below . between Upper Sutton st & Potters Hill. Upper sutton St is still there, though Potters hill has gone. Looking at google maps , there sees nothing of that part of the buildings on that side of the road remaining.
mike

197_victoria_road_c_1913A.jpg

thank you Mike, much appreciated. i looked on google and couldnt find anything either.

Thats a pity but im not too surprised oh well you have saved me a great deal of time hunting

thank you :)

There were, untill recently a few villa type houses between Bevington Rd. and six ways Aston,on that side of the road.
Certaintly the house who's cellar we hid in during a raid,is still there about 3 doors from Bevington Rd.
However, I don't know any numbers.

well the family lived at potters hill (back to back housing) and seemed to be in a different house every couple of years according to their childrens birth certificates, they went from victoria road to whitehead street and i know for sure that one doesnt exist anymore.

Ive looked on google and it really saddens me when historys completely lost through redevelopment. dont get me wrong its far nicer to have pretty buildings opposed to run down ugly ones but i just wish they would capture everything on photograph before they do destroy it and make available for all to see without having to pay to view things.

Hopefully someone somewhere may have photos that will eventually end up on the web :)

by the way Ray i love your pic !

Aston 34,
Never heard of of Whitehead St.However, Whitehead Rd.is still there it runs off Victoria Rd.and it has plenty of old houses still standing.

ah is definatly right, i know there was such a street as ive seen it on an old map from this forum a long while back. it was the 3 Bk 8 Whitehead Street, which came off Whitehead Road :D

I think the old maps on this site are fabulous!

Hi ya, hope this helps, there is a previous thread regarding Whitehead st and the thread contains a map put on by Mike g. I think the thread title is Whitehead St Aston... Max

Just to confirm Whitehead Street ran from 73 High Street to Alma Street, Aston.

Whitehead Road ran from 86 High Street to Bevington Road, Aston.

There always seems to be confusion between the two as they were so near each other as you can see they both ran off High Street but in opposite directions.

My grandparents were Jennings from Bevington Road but sadly I don't recognise a Phil or Philip Jennings in my family.

6 Doors away ASTONIAN.‚.. :-\ I was number 43 Victoria road.
.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..Ragga.‚.. :)

Is this 43 Victoria Road? You wouldn't be a Mason? related to a Charles? In the early 30's

hi ragga ;
its a small world aint it ; we must have spoken at some time you was four doors away from us do you remember the oldman in the paper shop
he had a gamy leg and he got murdered i beleive it was his lodger and he worked at birds custord factory ; brother of mine whom was younger lived behind the bank on bartons bank in the new houses they built ; was you ever in the swan across the rd do you recall the air plane pilot whom lived in the big posh house behind us he was swanky in hisflash car ; best wishes ragga ; [ by the way i went to ickneild street schol and then there was four us mates ; one we called ragga as well;
he lived in anderton street lady wood dave allen terry yeomens and edgar southeren we all went to school together ;

Any one remembers the chemist shop on the corner
of Victoria Rd and Park Road.
Just in side they would have a large basket full of
different size glass tubes.
We often went in there to buy these as we used them for pea shooting small ones 1 penny large 3 pence but the very extra large they charged 6 pence. Never did buy that size had not got the momey.

Tat Tar*‚** *‚**June.
:crazy2:

I was born and bred in Clifton Road and lived there until 1970. The chemist you are talking about was Buckinghams.

Someone is bound to know the pub on the corner (left), The man across the street looks like he’s waiting for the doors to open. Viv.

6C8748FD-36F4-432F-9CB2-22D1CDDC76E0.jpeg

Comparing the picture to the 1951 map I'd guess at the Victoria Park.

Shadows seem to point to it being on the south side of the road, so either the Victoria Park or the Queens Arms. There is a pillar box in the picture and on the map there is post office a few doors up from the Victoria Park. Also according to map the front of Queens Arms runs at a slight angle to the road which the pub in the picture doesn't.

Comparing the picture to the 1951 map I'd guess at the Victoria Park.

Shadows seem to point to it being on the south side of the road, so either the Victoria Park or the Queens Arms. There is a pillar box in the picture and on the map there is post office a few doors up from the Victoria Park. Also according to map the front of Queens Arms runs at a slight angle to the road which the pub in the picture doesn't.
Yes you are right MWS, it is the Victoria Park Inn on the corner of Upper Sutton St. I think the pub a bit further along was the White Horse.

Last edited:
Back