• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victoria Law Courts

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Like many of Birmingham’s public buildings the design for Birmingham’s first Assize Courts was awarded to the winners of an open competition. The winners in 1886 were Aston Webb & Ingress Bell (Webb & Bell) a London firm of Architects.

The building was constructed with red terracotta brick (supplied by J C Edwards of Ruabon) and the foundation stone of the building named as the Victoria Law Courts was laid on the 23rd of March 1887 (photo 1) by HM Queen Victoria it was her first public appearance in her Golden Jubilee year . The building was constructed by a local firm John Bowen & Sons at a cost of £113,000 and was opened by the Prince & Princess of Wales on the 21st of July 1891.(photo 2)

The inside was just as finely decorated as the exterior and is a match for any other court in England (photos 3 & 4). A sandy yellow shade of terracotta was used as supplied by Gibbs and Canning of Tamworth. The stained glass windows are Birmingham’s Golden Jubilee memorial designed by Horatio Walter Lonsdale.

Toward the latter end of the last century Birmingham Crown Court moved to a new purpose built building on Newton St leaving Birmingham Magistrates Court to remain in the old building. Though at this moment a new £80 million building is being constructed on the Eastside at Masshouse to house the new Magistrates Courts, thus rendering the old building surplus to requirements. Which has to beg the question “what will happen to it”? (5)

Phil

]
2663cb2c.jpg
96fb0af4.jpg

]
4560459e.jpg
d14a90ef.jpg

]
356dc06c.jpg

Phil, sorry, but I have to correct you about Gibbs and Canning. They were at Tamworth, not Tanworth. ( I do appreciate it may have been a typo).

Shortie

Shortie

Thanks for that, I claim bad eyes, old age and a typo. Which are all just an excuse for not paying attention to my notes. I've corrected it now, so thanks again.

Phil

I thought it was just an error, but did want to mention it because it was a big firm over here.

When I came to live in Tamworth in early 1972 the remains of the clay pit, etc was still there (don't know when it closed). They also used to make pipes and it was known as the 'pipe works'. There were articles in the local paper from time to time about the company and what glorious terracotta figures, etc - they had made - The Royal Albert Hall is decorated in Gibbs and Canning terracotta, and of course, most of our Edwardian houses have the cream decoration too. The B5000 now covers the spot and newcomers have not got a clue what went on there. Just like Birmingham, all the important stuff is almost forgotten.

Shortie

Just like Birmingham, all the important stuff is almost forgotten.

Shortie

Shortie

I couldn't agree more with this comment, it really worries me knowing Birmingham's reputation with old buildings just what is going to happen once the Magistrates Courts move to the new building.

Phil

I did not know about that, Phil, if it has been on here I have missed it. I doubt very much whether The Victorian Society would let such an important building be demolished without putting up a heck of a fight. Would the Council let this happen? I would have thought it was much too important and iconic, but you never know. I am sitting here quite horrified, to be honest. I personally prefer Georgian buildings, but the thought that this building may be allowed to just disappear shocks me. I shall investigate!

just caught up with this thread...well if this building goes to the dogs i will be hanging up my historical boots forever and give up....seriously though i just cant see it happening...

IA few years ago I went on a recce inside the Victoria Law Courts. There was no security on the front doors at that time and it was years and years before there was a fatal shooting there which put an end to people just wondering in off the street. The building inside and out is really indescribable from an architectural point of view. The detail on the exterior and in the interior is mind bloggling...don't know how to describe it. I used to wait for the bus in Steelhouse Lane across from the back entrance of the Courts and remember seeing on a fairly regular basis, Queen's Counsel judges especially, walking around and into the side street leading to the main entrance in Corporation Street. They were dressed in all their finery. Quite a sight.

On this Eastside blog site there is mention of the Victoria Law Courts being used in future when the new Court is built for overflow court rooms numbering eight. Hope that is true. https://eastsideblog.wordpress.com/category/magistrates-court/

There were plans to build a new one at Masshouse, but that has been delayed. Although the land they want to use looks smaller than this site.

Masshouse - Magistrates Court site - HM Government sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Masshouse - Magistrates' Court site and the McLaren Building by ell brown, on Flickr

This is a Grade I listed building (Victoria Law Courts), so they can't make many changes to it.

There isn't any buses down Steelhouse Lane now (bus stops). Just loads of parked Police cars. Closest you get is buses going on the The Priory Queensway.

Well if it is Grade I, that is a bit of comfort, but it does not prevent demolition, or has not in the past. It also might mean they cannot alter the inside without a lot of hassle, so the result will be interesting.

From British Listed Buildings Victoria Law Courts Birmingham

Victoria Law Courts, Birmingham

Description: Victoria Law Courts

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 January 1970
English Heritage Building ID: 217012

OS Grid Reference: SP0731387308
OS Grid Coordinates: 407313, 287308
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4836, -1.8937

Locality: Birmingham
Local Authority:
County: West Midlands
Postcode: B4 6RP

CORPORATION STREET
5104 (west side)
City Centre B2
Victoria Law Courts
SP 0787 SW 30/3 21.1.70

GVI
1887-91 and won in competition by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell. Red brick and terracotta; green stone tiled roof. Mostly 2 storeys; the main facade with a symmetrical centrepiece plus, on the left, a long wing essentially L-shaped and with 2 gables, one faced with a bow window, the other with a tall narrow bay with concave-sided gable and, on the right, a gabled bay. Everywhere elaborate
detailing executed by Aumonier from the architects' designs. The centrepiece with central porch with richly decorated gabled and flanking turrets and, either side, 4 single-storeyed bays with cross-windows and big octagonal towers with pointed caps. Above and behind this stands the Great Hall with steeply-sloping balustraded and crested roof and centrally-placed gabled clock stage. Good Arts and Crafts detail with figure sculpture by Harry Bates and Walter Crane. Inside, the Great Ball is a completely symmetrical room 5 bays by 3. The round-headed windows are of 3-lights with I transom on the long sides and of 5 lights with 2 transoms on the short sides. All have panel-type tracery and the roof is of hammerbeam construction. Despite this, the rich and strong detail, now in sand-coloured terracotta, is of a Spanish Plateresque kind. Between the windows are empty niches with their bases supported by very pretty putti. Left and right are passages with stilted arches carrying first floor balconied passages, straight ahead a sumptuously ornate arch with concave-sided gable like the arch into the hall. A shallow tunnel-vaulted and richly-pannelled passage leads to the courtrooms beyond. Stained glass designed by Walter Lonsdale; 5 enormous crown-like chandeliers of excellent design. The courts themselves all with good joinery and fittings, modest in the smaller courts like Nos 1 and 3, grander in the larger ones like Nos 5 and 6 which have elaborately canopied judges' chairs and originally, as still in No 5 court, a Tudor-type ceiling with pendant bosses.

Listing NGR: SP0731387308

Very grand Victorian exterior,but they don't show the tiny little dungeons beneath,which they used too call cells.:(

Not big enough for a dog kennel.:rolleyes:

A tiny bit of further history concerning the Law Courts.

My mother, Freda Elsie Tovey, worked there from about 1917 to 1920/21. She typed for an up-and-coming Birmingham barrister of whom great things were expected which were later achieved - Norman Birkett.

This photo of her and colleagues was, I am sure, taken on the roof of the Law Courts, perhaps in 1920. My mother is second from the right.

Chris

Attachments

• FEMandColleaguesca1920.jpg
    FEMandColleaguesca1920.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
what a splendid pic chris ...and yes i bet it was taken on the roof of the courts...

thanks for sharing it with us....

lyn

This building is also important because it represents a shift in Birmingham architecture from predominantly stone public buildings to this new style of terracotta & brick. The General Hospital and Central Hall are just two that followed on from this change. It meant that B'ham had finally become recognised as an architectural influence. Viv.

Strange - it comes up OK for me. And nice pic!

My thumbnail mentions "attachments pending approval". Whether that has anything to do with anything, I don't know.

Chris

PS I have taken the liberty of re-posting it below. Does this help others to open it?

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware (I work for Ministry of Justice) the plans to build a new court centre encompassing all the courts (Mags/Crown/County & tribunal) have been shelved in order to meet the targets given in the spendingh review.

There were a number of suggestions as to what to do with Victoria Law courts after the move, including selling it off for development into bars/restaurants. the difficulty is that as well as the building some of the court rooms are also protected.

Another suggestion was for ownership to be passed to Birmingham College of Law for it to be used for training and posssibly an advocacy acadamy.

However it seems no move is going to take place in the near future.

My vote would go to the Birmingham College of Law as an academy - what a good idea. Don't think the City needs more bars and restaurants, especially in a recession. Viv.

As far as I'm aware (I work for Ministry of Justice) the plans to build a new court centre encompassing all the courts (Mags/Crown/County & tribunal) have been shelved in order to meet the targets given in the spendingh review.

There were a number of suggestions as to what to do with Victoria Law courts after the move, including selling it off for development into bars/restaurants. the difficulty is that as well as the building some of the court rooms are also protected.

Another suggestion was for ownership to be passed to Birmingham College of Law for it to be used for training and posssibly an advocacy acadamy.

However it seems no move is going to take place in the near future.

Steve

An interesting post, I think it would be quite wrong if the old courts were turned over for development as bars and restaurants, one thing is sure they would have plenty of cellar space. I think the second suggestion of a Birmingham College of Law would be ideal, or even an attachment to Aston University.

Phil

I agree, handing it over as a 'leisure' development would be a crying shame. The law acadamy is the prefered idea, trouble is the place is extremely expensive to operate (around 4mil per year).
As it stands though, it is going to remain as Court of law. It's possible the Crown court could move back in. Either way, there needs to be quite a bit spent on doing up the cells as they are not upto standard!

This is a wonderful building and the exterior has always impressed me, but having been inside a few times regarding my divorce and maintenance and access issues, it is not very convenient with many steps and passageways, I cannot comment on the cells as I have never seen them, I would think it would be very difficult to convert it to other uses and think the idea of a Law Academy would be a very good idea, and much larger than the present Law School building in Great Hampton Street/Row?

Back