• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vesper Bell, Blythe Street and the kent family

I recently found out my great grandfather ran the pub in 1891 with his family, but I have no other information
hi veekent you are very lucky to have a photo of your grandads pub...not sure what other info you are looking for ?

lyn

Thank you for your response. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the pub/area. My great grandfather was John Kent. He lived here with his first wife Mary Kent and had 2 children.
We found out he had a servant who he later married having my grandfather and his twin sister in 1911 What we found out was they were named the same as his 2 older children. John and Mary. He died when my grandfather was 10 so my dad doesn’t know much about him

Thank you for your response. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the pub/area. My great grandfather was John Kent. He lived here with his first wife Mary Kent and had 2 children.
We found out he had a servant who he later married having my grandfather and his twin sister in 1911 What we found out was they were named the same as his 2 older children. John and Mary. He died when my grandfather was 10 so my dad doesn’t know much about him
hi veekent that is most unusual to name his 3rd and 4th children the same names as his 1st and 2nd...we have some very good researchers on this forum who maybe able to check out your info and hopefully find out more for you...good luck oh in the meantime here is a pic of the pub on the corner of blythe st and ledsam st...great shot looking down blythe st a view your gt grandad would have known well

lyn

index.php (36).jpg

Last edited:
Yes we thought so too. There had been talk of the older siblings moving abroad but don’t know for sure

John was a pub manager on Bell Barn Road in 1911. I think I've found John prior to 1891, possibly the son of John Kent and an Alice Bagnall, Stone area of Staffs.

Attachments

• Census 1921.jpg
    Census 1921.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Having said that John sailed in 1924 he gave his last address as Venezuela when that ship docked at New York and his occupation as a rancher.
1697815746291.png
I think the E Wallis might be linked to John's employer.
The entry (split into 2) is:
Part 1 Ellis Island.JPGPart 2 Ellis Island.JPG

I found an erlier record dated 1919 when he sailed to San Francisco but I can't access the priginal to see what it says. The transcript list his place of birth as Birmingham. I wonder if he called himself Eaton-Kent to avoid confuson with the John born in 1911?
1697816948339.png

Thank you so much. I do wonder why he changed his name. Does it say what happened to his first wife?

You probably know but Eaton was his mother's name. The Jane Grundy with the Kents in 1901 appears to be (father) John Kent's sister in law.

Thank you so much. I do wonder why he changed his name. Does it say what happened to his first wife?
As I said I suspect the son John born in 1888 added his Mother's maiden name perhaps to distinguish himself from John Henry born in 1911. Not so much a name change as adding in a link to his Mother.

There is a possible death for Mary (first wife)
1697825824480.png

I found an erlier record dated 1919 when he sailed to San Francisco but I can't access the priginal to see what it says. The transcript list his place of birth as Birmingham. I wonder if he called himself Eaton-Kent to avoid confuson with the John born in 1911?

The San Francisco record is on familysearch...

Kent John A.jpg

i know this is a long shot but as john had 2 children named mary and john by his first wife and 2 children also named mary and john by his second wife i was wondering if the first 2 children had died...just me thinking outside the box

lyn

i know this is a long shot but as john had 2 children named mary and john by his first wife and 2 children also named mary and john by his second wife i was wondering if the first 2 children had died...just me thinking outside the box

lyn
Meant to say that was my thought until I found records for John A. Still not found Mary Alice though.

hi veekent that is most unusual to name his 3rd and 4th children the same names as his 1st and 2nd...we have some very good researchers on this forum who maybe able to check out your info and hopefully find out more for you...good luck oh in the meantime here is a pic of the pub on the corner of blythe st and ledsam st...great shot looking down blythe st a view your gt grandad would have known well

lyn

View attachment 185218
Where would Blythe st have been? I can see Ledsam st so I’m guessing Blythe is a long gone street?

Back