• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vauxhall Road

I wonder if anyone remembers or has a picture of the Vauxhall working boys home from 1940ish
There were some pictures here, but the links no longer work, Mike Jee may be of help if he sees this.

Whilst looking at something else the houses on Vauxhall Grove from 1889 caught my eye. They look much larger than those on surrounding roads (especially the one on the corner) and a little out of place. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

0 - Vauxhall Grove.jpg

Whilst looking at something else the houses on Vauxhall Grove from 1889 caught my eye. They look much larger than those on surrounding roads (especially the one on the corner) and a little out of place. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

View attachment 180213
According to the 1950s map, the house on the corner was no 23, and in the 1950s was the presbytery to the St Vincent de Paul church. Probably not the same building. In 1884 it was Grove House, occupied by Edwin Thomas Griffiths, surgeon. Some of the other houses were occupied by a photographer, a printer, and commision agent and a potato salesman. Griffiths was a councillor and magistrate

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back