• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vauxhall Road

MWS

from Bham
Another map request if possible. Of Vauxhall Road, Duddeston late 1800s/early 1900s showing 106 and 12 back 102 and how close the were to Northumberland St please.

Thanks.

I take it you mean very late 1800s to early 1900s. Between 1887 and 1889 the numbering of the street was changed . When I get back from twon i will work out which houses were the ones you require assuming after 1889

Below is a map showing part of Vauxhall Road . The back houses of 102 are in red, except for what I would guess (based on numbering 1,2... from nearest house to 102 and then back down the smaller row) was no 12, which is blue.. That last bit is a guess though. No 106 is in green. you can see the end of Northumberland St opposite no 106

map_c_1903_Vauxhall_road_showing_nos_back__102___106.jpg

Thanks Mike, that's brilliant.

Judging by this picture titled 'Vauxhall Rd opposite Northumberland St' posted on the Birmingham forum, no 104 is next to the passage way with the bricked up door, 106 is next to that and the houses up the passage are back of 102. Possibly.

index.php

Not that anyone will notice but I wrong previously no. 102 is next to the passageway, so no. 106 is 2 doors down.

Last edited:
The houses there fronted on the streets with no garden hardly but the homes on Vauxhall Grove were the opposite orientation and probably much older. They had long front gardens and were larger and can be seen on a sketch of Vauxhall Gardens from the other side...just. There were no houses on Erskine then , just fields. Have never seen a photo of the old Vauxhall grove but maybe one will turn up sometime.
Great match of the photo to the 1890 survey map.

Thanks again Mike. That's an amazing piece of luck for me. A bit later than when my great grandparents lived there I think but still great.

Hi I was wondering if knew of a transport cafe in the vauxhall area in the 30s 40s a George Moss owned it? ACER

Hi I was wondering if knew of a transport cafe in the vauxhall area in the 30s 40s a George Moss owned it? ACER

Hi Acer

They didn't really list cafes in the 30's and 40's what they did list were dining rooms. A George Moss is listed in 1937 as owning dining rooms at 79 and 139 Lichfield Rd Aston, by 1950 number 79 is not listed and 139 is owned by Ernest Jelf, as Astonian knows all about the Jelf family history it might be worthwhile have a word with Alan.

Incidentally in 1950 a George Moss is listed as owning coffee rooms at 125 Adderley Rd Saltley. Which is quite close to Vauxhall.

I think there was a café on the corner of Vauxhall road and Lawley Street, will let you know when I have asked the family

I think there was a café on the corner of Vauxhall road and Lawley Street, will let you know when I have asked the family

There were some dining rooms at the corner of Vauxhall Rd & Lawley St. in the 1937 number 1 Vauxhall Rd was J.W.Sheppard Coffee Rooms and in 1950 it was J Mallard Coffee Rooms. I think the boarded up premises on the corner in this photo would be the location.

Attachments

• Vauxhall Lawley St - Vauxhall Rd.JPG
    Vauxhall Lawley St - Vauxhall Rd.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 53
Hi thank you so much for the info I will have a word with Astonian will let you know outcome x

I do remember that café, but Mom said she thinks there was another one in Vauxhall road going up towards Erskine street (On the opposite side of the road ) but she is 94 maybe her memory is playing tricks !

Thank you for for that , I was told there was 2 dinning Rooms at 79- 139 Lichfield road in 1937 79 not listed in 1950 an Ernest Jelf or Alan might have known more . george moss was my grandmothers second husband . Thank you for your help , Good night x

Hi Acer
The Coffee rooms of 137 Lichfield road are on the forum pictures or may be they was high jacked when the forum was robbed of it valuable pics
Or may be I can dig one out for you if you want one I will down load you one
And there was a member whom I will not mention because we are not aloud to give on screen personal surnames
But we had a member whom as not been on for years whom called her self by nick name flower girl
Whom informed how she sat in the shop window of the shop which they changed to sell flowers when she was a kid
This shop was 139 Lichfield road and it was sold around the 1954/5 and it was sold to the family name of the people
This is flower girls parent surname whom I know from my cross checking with the land registry for there name
And they originaly lived about area doors from the dinning rooms coronation was 1953 And A year or two after that he came over and said be sold
The dining rooms across the road to another family member which was his only sister ivy but emeciatily she had sold it in advance
To a friend of hers whom we believe was related to Mr Albert Alloyed whom was the shoe cobbler whom turned out to be her male companion whom milked her dry of all moneys and all the brothers fell out with her until she got rid of him. As he was a gold digger
But strangely enough at some point he was alledgely dead before her in 1989 yet on her will docs some one
Sennt a cheque to Liverpool for a large amount to an address where he was living
But any way I know the name of this pariculr family the ones I told you are correct
Best wishes ace again Astonian,,,,,,

Hi Astonian my goodness dont you know a lot of information , thank you . do you remember a man named George Moss and my grandmothers name Sarah Elizabeth ? If you could down load me anything I would be very gratefull thank you so much Acer x

Hi anyone remember Mrs Greago not sure of spelling but that's how it was pronounced on Vauxhall rd just passed Erskine st in the summer at weekends she served home made ice cream from a handcart outside her front door this was in 1950s opposite would be Dades Harry&Gerts pawnbrokers &a wet fish shop.It was probably the same handcart that Jack used outside Loxton school @ dinner times

Just noticed a newspaper notice of the diamond wedding anniversary of my great grandparents (Simmonds of Vauxhall Road) in the Birmingham Daily Gazette 28 Aug 1933.

If someone could post a copy of the notice it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you, pictures as well! Very much appreciated.

I like how they called him formerly a groom, which he probably was in the 1870s but a gas stoker/labourer for 60 years afterwards.

And eventually there were at least 120 great grandchildren.

Last edited:
hi mws mikejee was telling me that if the archives used grayscale for their scans the photos would be much better...when i can get to the library i will see if they have the birmingham gazette newspapers if so i should hopefully get a better copy for you..should be easy enough as we have the exact date of the article

lyn

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you Lyn, that is very kind of you. Very much appreciated.
its no trouble...cant say yet exactly when i will get to the library but hopefully it wont be too long..i have a few things i need to look up myself but i have noted the details of your snippet and will be in touch asap

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Just noticed a newspaper notice of the diamond wedding anniversary of my great grandparents (Simmonds of Vauxhall Road) in the Birmingham Daily Gazette 28 Aug 1933.

If someone could post a copy of the notice it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Hello there,
What an amazing coincidence. I was looking for any info on Vauxhall Rd and came a

Hello there,
What an amazing coincidence.
I was looking for any info on Vauxhall Rd and came across that diamond wedding anniversary cutting.
James and Mary were my dad's great grandparents. His grandma was their daugther, Annie. Do you have any other pîcs?

Thank you, pictures as well! Very much appreciated.

I like how they called him formerly a groom, which he probably was in the 1870s but a gas stoker/labourer for 60 years afterwards.

And eventually there were at least 120 great grandchildren.
Hello there,
I feel like I'm hassling you and my messages keep getting sent without being finished (I'll try and calm down), but if you have anything on James and Mary's daughter Annie (my dad's grandma) that would be brilliant.

Back