• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Various street pics

I was really commenting on the fact the photo was depicting a time when everything looked ordered and clean, and well laid out, with plenty of cheap public transport run as a civic service not a profit making enterprise.

College Rd Library being opened in 1933
libry1933.jpg

smashing pic topsy...the library recently had quite a bit of work done to it and was closed for quite some time..now re opened for busines..

T
Hi
If you type kings Norton in the search box there are a few photo's there.

regards Stars

I have been waiting for somone to either say that or comment on the picture Paul because that is the only way I know if anyone else can see it. I have no idea why the odd one goes like that but I will re-post it straight away.

Got it now stitcher and what good one it is ,really takes you back to the end of the 19th beginning of the 20th C.
thank you. paul

I know life was far less than idyllic for families in back houses but these street scenes do look so peaceful and tranquil.
stitcher.

Hello carolina, I am sorry but the writing with the picture only tells us it is Hagley Road Edgbaston but my first impresssion was that it is looking out of town and the building behind the trees is The Plough & Harrow Hotel. Someone else may be able to be a bit more posotive about this.

Hello - not sure where to post these. I promised Lynn I'd post two Burlington st pics When I found them. The first is taken from the High st end looking down the st. The second shows the Talbot works next to the railing of the girls school and shows my house on the corner with the dark empty window due to a fire in early 66 - nobody hurt.

burlington_scan_1copy_1.jpg

burlington_scan_2_-_Copy.jpg

hi tjhh what splendid photos...thank you so much for posting them...if you ever come accross any of paliament st would love to see them as this is another st difficult to find pics of..

once again thank you..

lyn

Hello Lyn - they dont have the glow of your pics but they probably mean something to someone. I've just posted a message on the pics reposted thread. Tom

Those '50s pictures, they take right back to my childhood. Put quite a lump in my throat.
Just as well, at that age, we didn't know what was waiting for us in the future, eh ?

Thanks to all those that have posted photos !!! they have taken meon a journey back to my Birmingham has i remember it. if only the people who think that they are making
Birmingham a more modern City I don't think they have. All the beautiful Buildings that were demolished was in my mind a crime.....

Regards Pete

Quite correct Stitcher,"HYGIENIC" but I don't know if anyone would have noticed, or indeed cared at this time of our lost world.
regards, paul.

tjhh...the second picture on #165 of Burlington st needs a correction, the railing next to the Talbot works if from the special school for the handicapped. not the girls school, which was further down the street on the left hand side towards Parliament st......Brenda

tjhh...the second picture on #165 of Burlington st needs a correction, the railing next to the Talbot works if from the special school for the handicapped. not the girls school, which was further down the street on the left hand side towards Parliament st......Brenda

Brenda....I can remember the senior girls using it as an annexe, this had got to be between 1960/1965 when the girls school down, there were two children in the street were I lived and both were special needs, they used to have a bus (single decker) come everyday to pick them up, they bus went in a different direction to Burlington Street, I am not saying that the special needs children never used the school in question, but they might have moved them out in the early 1960's......., the rails outside the school are still there, and I think the ones on the wall are too.....got chased out of there many times by Mr Benbow the caretaker, while playing football, and the other playgrounds as well.....

Moturn, I passed it every day on my way to Aston Hall road school, but for the life of me cannot rememember what is was!

Back