• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Webster Street

There are at least 3 James Edward Treens in Bham in 1939.

James Edward Treen at Upper Webster Street was b1872.

The other 2 (father b1865 & son b1897) are at 92 & 93 Handsworth New Road. They are incorrectly listed as Green.

Appears us Treens were not very adventurous with the names.
James Edward (b 1865) had several children and named one James Edwin (b 1897). Another son was named simply Edwin (b 1902). James' father was also Edward... :scream:

Yes, I had the Handsworth address too and jsut around the corner in Willes road is where I used to visit my grandmother and uncle (@ #156 & #158)

Hi Treen and welcome to the forum, there are lots of members that lived in this area and I have a vague recollection of a shop at the top of Upper Webster Street. If you look at this website we have a picture of the pub which was opposite the shop. I would love to see any images you have and add them to the website.

www.leroux.co.uk/aston
Great photo resource. Thank you. [yes, figured out how to quote properly].
I am going to excuse myself as it is past dinner time here in Singapore.
[Temporary assignment - Live in Germany these days]
Thanks for the resources - Hopefully I will have a chance to do some photo diving this summer.

I remember the shop, but only when it belong to a Asian family, this was during the 1960's, I always thought it was in Clarendon Street due to the door way being on the corner of the cul-de-sac ...

No...No coal yard to my knowledge, the only coal yard I can recall in my area was Berthas on Park Lane ..

No...No coal yard to my knowledge, the only coal yard I can recall in my area was Berthas on Park Lane ..
i used Berthas ,and a shop off webster st. i the coal was kept at the back of the shop the entrance was in parliment st.

I had forgotten that shop, they didn't have a great deal of coal if I remember correctly, its the first shop in the photo you just posted..

I had forgotten that shop, they didn't have a great deal of coal if I remember correctly, its the first shop in the photo you just posted..
yes it was a handy shop i used it when fetching a bag of off cuts from the wood yard in the cart. (a old pram) lol

Re the picture of a boy on a bike just posted on the main site. I am fairly sure the boy is Reg Upson (Upton)? and the shop behind him on the corner of Upper Webster/Parliament Street was run by Cissie McHugh.
The shop was Cissie McHugh's. My Aunt.

Hello all. I'm looking for the McAllister family from Upper Webster Street. John McAllister was living there in 1875, I am wondering if any of his descendants are still around who might be able to help with some family history. It is actually his brother and father, both named Thomas I am looking for. Thomas senior was a shopkeeper.

Can't see much, a marriage, a death and a probate for a Thomas but the various spellings for Mcallister make it tricky. What places your Mcallister family on Upper Webster St?

If you want to give further details it is probably best to start a new thread 'Mcallister Family' or something similar in Surnames Interest (link below) so your query doesn't get overlooked in this street thread.

There are several references to a John and Thomas McAlister (spelt with just 1 'l').
Please start a thread as suggested above and I will list them.

Can't see much, a marriage, a death and a probate for a Thomas but the various spellings for Mcallister make it tricky. What places your Mcallister family on Upper Webster St?

If you want to give further details it is probably best to start a new thread 'Mcallister Family' or something similar in Surnames Interest (link below) so your query doesn't get overlooked in this street thread.

Thank you, I will start a new thread and explain further in there.

Re the picture of a boy on a bike just posted on the main site. I am fairly sure the boy is Reg Upson (Upton)? and the shop behind him on the corner of Upper Webster/Parliament Street was run by Cissie McHugh.
Cissie McHugh was my aunty. Mchugh 's were a big family. My mum was Lilly McHugh. I was born in Clarendon St. 1951. Moved to Great Barr, Perry Barr, South Australia.

Back