• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Upper Webster Street

sylviasayers

master brummie
Re the picture of a boy on a bike just posted on the main site. I am fairly sure the boy is Reg Upson (Upton)? and the shop behind him on the corner of Upper Webster/Parliament Street was run by Cissie McHugh.

Do you mind me titleing the picture and using the information youve placed here John?

Just discovered this thread...

Anybody have any pictures of Upper Webster Street in the sixties? we lived in the 'back of' Upper Webster Street in the courtyards, I am desperate for a picture and would be over the moon if anyone has any to post on here.

Patsi...have you visited www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk , I am sure that the photo in question is on that website somewhere, I do have it on my friends reunited page, but since they have changed the layout, I am now unable to find it....

I can recall helping a mate of mine work in one of the back of houses in Upper Webster Street, around 1967/68, and what sticks out in my memory was that the boxroom, was covered in Beatles photo's or wallpaper, I lived in Clarendon St from 1953 till 1969 and was the local paper boy and I didn't know that these house where there until then.....

Patsi...have you visited www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk , I am sure that the photo in question is on that website somewhere, I do have it on my friends reunited page, but since they have changed the layout, I am now unable to find it....

I can recall helping a mate of mine work in one of the back of houses in Upper Webster Street, around 1967/68, and what sticks out in my memory was that the boxroom, was covered in Beatles photo's or wallpaper, I lived in Clarendon St from 1953 till 1969 and was the local paper boy and I didn't know that these house where there until then.....

Aston Lad.

Your post gave me goosebumps.

We left Upper Webster Street in 1967 ......I remember now it was no.4 back of 43 Upper Webster Street.

It was just one room downstairs (no kitchen or toilet or bathroom) with one bedroom and an attic.

We papered the stairway with wallpaper squares from wallpaper sample books and the attic room where our daughters slept was covered in posters of the Beatles whom our eldest daughter was crazy about.

We moved to Erdington from there into a 'proper house'

Can you tell me when the clearance of those houses took place.

Thank you so much for that link I will take a look at it......

Hi....sorry to have given you the "goosebumps"......being a Beatle fan myself I stayed in that room for ages looking at the posters, my mate worked for the council and was I think repairing the windows, not to sure if anyone moved in after you had left, it has got to be early 1968, I was wagging it from school at that time, we moved out of Clarendon Street in 1969 October, they were still standing then, but by 1971 they were gone.....

upperwebsterst_2[1].jpg

Patsi.....this is the photograph I was talking about.....your house would have been on the right hand side going up the hill....

Image584.jpg

I'm that eldest daughter Patsi was talking about and I'm still a Beatles fan! This site is bringing back some memories!

Hi Debbie....what a small world we live in and the internet is making it smaller, like I told your mom, your old bedroom is stuck in my memory due the Beatle posters on your wall, I am still also a Beatle fan......Now I am wondering if I know you or not......I was born and bred in Clarendon Street lived there from 1953 when I was born until 1969, so are you within my age group......the people I knew on Upper Webster Street.....Alan Price, Graham Wainwright, Kevin Stokes all just a year or two older than me....David Jenkins and his sister Sally, a family I think who were called Weston (Susan) lived by the shop on your side of the road, futher down the hill on the other side was the Upsons, George. Mirian and Reg who is on the photo I posted earlier, and the Whithouse family, there might be a few who I have missed, which I think I can be forgiven after a 43 year gap........anyhow enjoy this forum and don't forget to visit www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk brilliant site for us ex-Aston people

Here is a section of an old map I have of the area around Upper Webster St.
Our back houses were where the "ST" is of Upper Webster Street.
A lot of our daily shopping was done in that corner shop, and we became friends with the owners.
img086.jpg

Cissie Mchugh was my Auntie. I remember her shop. It was my Grandmothers before Cissie took it over. Aunty Ethel recently passed away aged 101 or 102. Love to hear from anyone who remembers the Mchugh's

Can anyone tell me where I can get a detailed map of the top end of Upper Webster Street.
I'm looking for the details and plan of the courtyard behind number 43, which is on the right hand side looking up the road towards the top.
Thanking you in advance.
Ray

The map c 1950 is a bit unclear , as it is on a join of the sheets, so have posted below the c1950 map and the clearer c1889 map, which appears to be the same for that small area.

map_c_1889_upper_webster_st.jpg

map_c_1950_upper_webster_st.jpg

Thanks Mike, that is a great help.
My daughter is doing some research about the time we lived in that court,(Early'60's) and she wants a plan of it.
Thanks again.
Ray

Thank you astonlad, can't see our house, but you can see part of the small garden we had in front, and the timber yard beyond our court.

Cissie Mchugh was my Auntie. I remember her shop. It was my Grandmothers before Cissie took it over. Aunty Ethel recently passed away aged 101 or 102. Love to hear from anyone who remembers the Mchugh's
Hello,
Was talking to my dad Bob Kidd about this site, he is Connie's son so your cousin, he definitely remembered You! He asked me to say hello from him (he's not very good with technology!).

my name is Sam. dad and sarah (my sister) both live in north devon now, I live in Sheffield.

hope you're well and happy,
Sam

Sam, I just saw your message. So pleased you took the time to reply. I wish I'd seen it sooner. I have photos of Connie and Robert when we were all very young. I wish I knew more about our family. Someone did a family tree at one stage but I never saw it. Connie was very funny with a great sense of humor. I was in Cornwall in 2015. Robert is older than me. (I'm 67.) I hope he's still with us. We all still live in South Australia.

Back