• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uniforms of WW1

Can anyone advise which regiment this soldier was in please? He was, I believe, a brother of my late MiL. How would a Brummie end up in a Scottish regiment?

They must have been recruiting around here. My fathers brother ( from West Brom ) was in one as well

Now that's interesting i have just discovered a photograph of my late
Grandfather shown wearing a kilt and scottish cap, excuse me for being
ignorant in not knowing what they were called.

It was my understanding that he too was in the Royal Warwicks, so don't
really understand the photograph in the scottish uniform,
he also came from West Bromwich...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all
the tarten looks to be either cameronions or highland fusilers
many english soldiers where transfered to scottish units after large loss's in battles in both world wars.
regards
paul stacey

I have a great uncle who was born in Northamptonshire in 1887, was back living in Birmingham by the time of the 1891 census yet he served in the Black Watch. I could never work that one out.

It's the grandparent rule,same as rugby,you can join a scottish Regt.if one parent or grandparent is a Scot.

Can you tell regiment etc from badge? I'm informed all WW1 home guard (Ross born), was expecting at least one Monmouth Light Infantry

Thanks

Ray

Three soldiers wearing the same cap badge, South Wales Borders, Brecknokshire Battalion. Len.

Last edited:
Lencops,

Many thanks. Since posting I've received this - "William served in Ireland not France." is that likely to be the one with the different badge?

How could the attached photo link in?

This normal in those times "there was quite a lot of ill feeling after the war because all four brothers came back from the first world war which was quite a rarity at the time"?

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
So many cap badges of the British Army include the garter star and crown and all can look similar it could be the RASC, but as the RSY are very near the welsh borders could be that.

I realise that there's not much to go on, but can anyone identify the uniform or regiment in this photo? The shape of the cap badge may be the only thing to go by.

The photo is of my grandfather and was taken around 1915. He was born and lived in Birmingham all his life.

I've tried checking out WWI records but to no avail.

Regards

Forever young

hi len
wasnt the royal enginners before hand was called the pinoneers and thats was the orinional badge
have a great day len best wishes Astonian

A photograph of the Pioneer Corp circa 1939 some where in France I have inserted a close up of the cap and badge looks similar to first photograph.
Though they are over seas their rifles are made of wood iot was some time later before they were issued with reaL RIFLES.

The soldier extreme left, I would say Devonshire Regiment. Quite a few Brummies served in the Devons during WW1

Terry

Do we know the names of the soldiers? We know that George King, presumably one of the Soldiers, served in the Monmouthshire Regiment before transfer to the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (post 3 above). 10th July 1917 the 3rd Battalion Mommouthshires absorbed the 1st Reserve Brecknock Bn, South Wales Borderers and lencops has already identified for us their cap badge. The Monmouths were based for a time in Oswestry and this could have brought them into contact with the Shropshire regiments.

Could very well be the Devonshires, as I said before it could be one of about 6 regiments without the depth and clarity in aphoto it is very difficult to say which.

Thank you both,

4 King brothers.

Rear Henry King 02/1/1894 - Left to right William King 26/04/1896, George King 13/03/1892, John King 02/08/1886

George moved permanently to Birmingham by certainly 1917, 1916 more likely. The other lads stayed around the Ross, Pencoyd area so far as know.

Ray

Hello Terry

My grandfathers name was Albert Charles Tomlinson.

I'd like to say a big 'Thank you' to all of you for your replies and useful information received.

Regards

Forever young

Back