• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TV Advertising Jingles (1950s-1960s).

Thylacine

master brummie
There's an old thread on this subject, which is well worth reading, but I thought it might be of interest to revive the topic.

When I was a child in and around Birmingham in the 1950s and 1960s, we used to enjoy the TV advertisements almost as much as the programmes. How many old TV advertising jingles can you remember from those earlier, more innocent times? Just to start the ball rolling, here are some that spring to my mind:

Omo adds brightness
Even to perfect whiteness.

You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.
Pep-so-dent.

The Esso sign means happy motoring,
The Esso sign means happy motoring,
The Esso sign means happy motoring.
Stop at the Esso sign.

Wash your hair
Too clean for dandruff
Too clean for dandruff, with
New Clinic shampoo.

Funny how we remember these after so many years.

Beer at home means Davenports
That’s the beer, lots of cheer
The finest malt with hops and yeast
Turns a snack into a feast
Straight from brewery to your home
Why collect, we’ll deliver
Soon you’ll know why folks all say
Beer at home means Davenports!

A Double Diamond works wonders
Works wonders, works wonders
A Double Diamond works wonders
So drink one today!

There's an abundance of material on the internet. The following videos should satisfy most appetites:

British TV Adverts from the 50s 60s 70s (
Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4).

I'd still like to hear from BHF members about the jingles they remember (whether they loved or hated them).

Last edited:
I'm sure we all remember the "Cap'n Birdseye" adverts for fish fingers, but how many know that modern frozen food processing was invented by a real Mr. Birdseye?

[video=youtube;Ntzxbf_NhUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntzxbf_NhUM[/video]

I remember the advert for the Milk Marketing Board where the girl had a bleached fringe (can't remember her name). I thin k it must have been when ITV started - I longed to have my hair like hers!! Never did.
Sheri

Its great service you get
Renting your colour set from Granada
Its better TV I'm sure you'll agree...Rent Granada

Look What we've got at your Co-op
Your Caring sharing co-op
Your caring sharing co-op
its yours all yours its yours

[I remember both of these from Tony Hancock's "Blood Donor" episdoe.]

Drinka pinta milka day.

[1950s - can anyone find a TV clip?
The poster pictured below features a multi-lingual "drinka pinta milka day" slogan and World Cup Willie, the 1966 FIFA World Cup mascot.]

Coughs and sneezes

Spread diseases.

[1940s (so pre-ATV): see
version 1 and version 2].

A finger of fudge is just enough to give the kids a treat,,,
Smarties milk chocolate smarties a tube of smarties means lots and lots of chocolate beans,,
HP baked beans there the beans for me,,
A million housewives every day pick up a tin of beans and say,beans means heinz

How many of todays adverts stick in your mind ? Some of them are so arty that you have a job discovering what they are selling. Others are so irritating they put you completely of the product ( Go Compare Insurance does my head in ).
No keep it simple and even better if you can humm it without wincing, just like back in the 50s and 60s.

I remember "Lookwhatalotigot" ( Cadbury advert) being slated by the educated classes as being detrimental to children's education.

Thanks everyone for your continuing contributions to this thread.

Elizabeth, I don't remember the "Beans means Heinz" ad: did "Heinz" rhyme with "beans"? I always thought it was pronounced "Hines". We used to call a mongrel dog a "Heinz 57 varieties".

Arkrite, I quite agree with you about "modern" advertising. The "mute" button on my TV remote gets a lot of use! I find that modern ads shout at me, try to fool me, or insult my intelligence (or all of the above - I must be getting old!).

Col, your "caring sharing Co-op" slogan reminds me of
this lovely 1969 picture of the Blackheath Co-op. My family were big fans of the Co-op in the 1950s.

Sheri, I tried to find a video (or even a still picture) of the be-fringed Milk Marketing girl (without success - can anyone help?).

Alberta, thanks to the "Zoe" clue you supplied, we can add some details to the "fringe".

1950s model Zoe Newton was the face of the Dairy Council's "drinka pinta milka day" campaign. She married business tycoon David Barclay (now Sir David), one of billionaire twins who live in luxurious seclusion on the island of Brecqhou (next to Sark in the Channel Islands). Zoe is pictured below (on the right) on the cover of the February 1957 issue of Picturegoer magazine.

1960s "Unzipp a (Fyffes) Banana" (mmmm!):

[video=youtube;92WW9QfICw4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92WW9QfICw4[/video]

Not quite sure if these words are correct.

Here comes the tootal tie boys
See how the tootal tie boys
The very best tootal buy boys
Must be a tootal tie, the very best buy, boys.

There are two men in my life.
to one I am a mother,
to the other I'm a wife.
And I give them both the best.

Galaxy if I remember correctly

And didn't the Colgate "Ring of Confidence" start around that era?

... And didn't the Colgate "Ring of Confidence" start around that era?

Thanks for reviving this old thread! Here's an Aussie version of that Colgate ad (mid 1960s):

[video=youtube;epubdaqJ__Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epubdaqJ__Q[/video]

"The Milky Bars are on me"

"You can be sure of Shell"

"Put a Tiger in your tank"

"Can't tell Stork from Butter"

"Don't forget the the fruit gums Mum"

Back