• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thomas Green, Harborne

Have had a quick look but it needs a more detailed search. Spotted George Simcox and Theodore Price (not sure where he fits in) who get lots of mentions.
There is also a group of ladies but haven't deciphered the surname. I also think a sister is referred to. Will have another go in the morning.
Thank you so much Janice. Very much appreciated.

Jane was born in Harborne to a Thomas Green and Hannah in 1787. I have been researching using a geneoloy site and Thomas Green Esq came up as a possible father. I am trying to confirm or disconfirm that. It has nothing to do with wishful thinking. The son of Thomas Green left the manor, (than is the estate) to his nephew. Whether he left Harborne Hall and Harborne House to his nephew, I don't know.Thomas Green lived at Harborne House not Harborne Hall. Harborne Hall was built for his daughter who married George. I don't know what Thomas Green Snr's son was called but probably also Thomas I wouldn't be surprised. However it is Thomas Green Snr that I am looking at
Thanks again for all your help MWS

Have just had a look at the will again but it will take a while - there are a lot of pages and the writing is very hard to read - as you said. The first part seems to be dealing with his various properties and there are references to rents and buildings. The main people charged with overseeing the will (I suppose the executors) ae the two names I referenced before George Simcox and Theodore Price. I have just come across a reference to Ann price and their two daughters who seem to have been left a trust until they attain their majority. Stopping now to let my eyes recover. :D

Interesting map on page 3 of this booklet. Harborne History

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It seems very unlikely that the Thomas Green that marries Hannah Smith is the father of the Elizabeth Green that marries George Simcox. Their daughter Elizabeth is born much too late. Therefore the Thomas Green that marries Hannah Smith and the father of Jane can not be the Thomas Green esq that dies in 1803.

Thomas Green esq could be the father of Thomas Green who marries Hannah Smith but if he or his children are not mentioned his will would make it unlikely.

But two more questions then.

Who did your Jane Green marry?

And, ignoring the baptism, why did you think your Jane Green was born in Harborne?

Trouble is there are several possible Thomas Greens and I saw another marriage of Thomas to a different Hannah.
Still got about 10 pages to go in the will.

Attempting to answer my own questions...

Jane married George Newey on 12 Jan 1808 in Bham?

She was buried Harborne 1828 and possibly Harborne was mentioned on her marriage record?

If so then reasonable to assume that she was daughter of Thomas & Hannah.

Attempting to answer my own questions...

Jane married George Newey on 12 Jan 1808 in Bham?

She was buried Harborne 1828 and possibly Harborne was mentioned on her marriage record?

If so then reasonable to assume that she was daughter of Thomas & Hannah.
Thanks so much MWS for looking.

Haven't so far but I can only read a bit at a time as it is so hard to decipher. I can't make out some words at all. Will keep going.

Just been having another look but I am struggling. A lot of the things seem to relate to various properties and the rates/rent paid - when it is paid (several March 25th which would be Lady Day - one of the quarter days I think). Also a lot that I cannot read. No mention of Jane or to other relatives - unless I have missed them - apart for the word "grandson" appears. 1616931922449.png Some money left for some girls (cannot at the moment decipher the surname) and I think it says if they achieve their majority of twenty one without marriage.

Just been having another look but I am struggling. A lot of the things seem to relate to various properties and the rates/rent paid - when it is paid (several March 25th which would be Lady Day - one of the quarter days I think). Also a lot that I cannot read. No mention of Jane or to other relatives - unless I have missed them - apart for the word "grandson" appears. View attachment 155177 Some money left for some girls (cannot at the moment decipher the surname) and I think it says if they achieve their majority of twenty one without marriage.
Thank you very much Janice for looking

I found it quite fascinating but hard going. I couldn't see a Jane either but did wonder if I had missed it with all that strange style of writing. Glad you got it sorted.

I have the opposite problem with a Will, I can read all the names (including a possible relative) but I can't track them or a connection down.

If you wish to map out the name from the latest will with as many dates and relationships as possible I will be pleased to compare them to the Greens I know about. Sometimes ruling a family out is as important as claiming them as your own.

Is that an offer to me Jason?

My will is not a Green (it is a Hadley), I was just mentioning it as a comparison to the problem of the one previously mentioned.

So if it was, thank you but I need more records to become available to solve it.

It was intended as an offer to Stephen, but unfortunately I can't help with Hadleys. This thread is getting as confusing as a typical family history!
Jason

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back