• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Green, Harborne

Thomas Green Simcox (the elder) is likely to be the son of a George Symcox & Elizabeth Green.

They married at St Martin's, Bham 14 Jan 1784. It's possible that your Thomas Green is related to Elizabeth Green but it'd probably just be a bit of wishful thinking.
Thanks so much for researching this stuff for me, it is extremely generous. As far as I understand Elizabeth was the daughter of an earlier Thomas Green Esq who died in 1803. I have his will but can't make head or tail of it to determine if he had a daughter called Jane or not. The writing is very difficult to decipher.

Thanks so much for researching this stuff for me, it is extremely generous. As far as I understand Elizabeth was the daughter of an earlier Thomas Green Esq who died in 1803. I have his will but can't make head or tail of it to determine if he had a daughter called Jane or not. The writing is very difficult to decipher.

I think that when Elizabeth Green married Thomas Simcox they changed their name to Green-Simcox. Elizabeth's father Thomas Green Esq is the one I am looking at to establish if he was the husband of Hannah and the father of Jane

It's unlikely that the Elizabeth Green wife of George Simcox was the daughter of Thomas & Hannah. Thomas & Hannah seemed to have had a daughter Elizabeth but she was baptised in 1783.

Sorry, I got my facts mixed up. Thomas Green Esq built Harborne House and was Lord of the Manor. After his death it passed to his nephew Thomas Green Simcox. However Thomas Green Esq built Harborne Hall for his daughter Elizabeth who was married to George Simcox JP Brass founder. After her death Simcox remarried and continued to live at the hall. His son inherited the manor from Thomas Green's son. However I'm not really interested in Elizabeth. I want to establish if Thomas Green Esq who died in 1803 had a daughter called Jane. If not I can rule him out as being the ancestor in question. Somehow I need to find a way to transcribe his will.

Two questions then.

When was your Jane Green born?

What was the name of the son of Thomas Green who died without issue and left Harborne Hall to his nephew (Simcox).

I know this is extremely presumptious, but is there any chance somebody would be able to very kindly look at this will and see if it mentions a daughter Jane so that I can establish if this is the right Thomas Green. It is several pages long, but I can't make head or tale of it. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imagevie...hstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=107485
Have had a quick look but it needs a more detailed search. Spotted George Simcox and Theodore Price (not sure where he fits in) who get lots of mentions.
There is also a group of ladies but haven't deciphered the surname. I also think a sister is referred to. Will have another go in the morning.

Two questions then.

When was your Jane Green born?

What was the name of the son of Thomas Green who died without issue and left Harborne Hall to his nephew (Simcox).
Jane was born in Harborne to a Thomas Green and Hannah in 1787. I have been researching using a geneoloy site and Thomas Green Esq came up as a possible father. I am trying to confirm or disconfirm that. It has nothing to do with wishful thinking. The son of Thomas Green left the manor, (than is the estate) to his nephew. Whether he left Harborne Hall and Harborne House to his nephew, I don't know.Thomas Green lived at Harborne House not Harborne Hall. Harborne Hall was built for his daughter who married George. I don't know what Thomas Green Snr's son was called but probably also Thomas I wouldn't be surprised. However it is Thomas Green Snr that I am looking at

Have had a quick look but it needs a more detailed search. Spotted George Simcox and Theodore Price (not sure where he fits in) who get lots of mentions.
There is also a group of ladies but haven't deciphered the surname. I also think a sister is referred to. Will have another go in the morning.
Thank you so much Janice. Very much appreciated.

Jane was born in Harborne to a Thomas Green and Hannah in 1787. I have been researching using a geneoloy site and Thomas Green Esq came up as a possible father. I am trying to confirm or disconfirm that. It has nothing to do with wishful thinking. The son of Thomas Green left the manor, (than is the estate) to his nephew. Whether he left Harborne Hall and Harborne House to his nephew, I don't know.Thomas Green lived at Harborne House not Harborne Hall. Harborne Hall was built for his daughter who married George. I don't know what Thomas Green Snr's son was called but probably also Thomas I wouldn't be surprised. However it is Thomas Green Snr that I am looking at
Thanks again for all your help MWS

Have just had a look at the will again but it will take a while - there are a lot of pages and the writing is very hard to read - as you said. The first part seems to be dealing with his various properties and there are references to rents and buildings. The main people charged with overseeing the will (I suppose the executors) ae the two names I referenced before George Simcox and Theodore Price. I have just come across a reference to Ann price and their two daughters who seem to have been left a trust until they attain their majority. Stopping now to let my eyes recover. :D

Interesting map on page 3 of this booklet. Harborne History

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It seems very unlikely that the Thomas Green that marries Hannah Smith is the father of the Elizabeth Green that marries George Simcox. Their daughter Elizabeth is born much too late. Therefore the Thomas Green that marries Hannah Smith and the father of Jane can not be the Thomas Green esq that dies in 1803.

Thomas Green esq could be the father of Thomas Green who marries Hannah Smith but if he or his children are not mentioned his will would make it unlikely.

But two more questions then.

Who did your Jane Green marry?

And, ignoring the baptism, why did you think your Jane Green was born in Harborne?

Trouble is there are several possible Thomas Greens and I saw another marriage of Thomas to a different Hannah.
Still got about 10 pages to go in the will.

Attempting to answer my own questions...

Jane married George Newey on 12 Jan 1808 in Bham?

She was buried Harborne 1828 and possibly Harborne was mentioned on her marriage record?

If so then reasonable to assume that she was daughter of Thomas & Hannah.

Attempting to answer my own questions...

Jane married George Newey on 12 Jan 1808 in Bham?

She was buried Harborne 1828 and possibly Harborne was mentioned on her marriage record?

If so then reasonable to assume that she was daughter of Thomas & Hannah.
Thanks so much MWS for looking.

Back