• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
#45, I don't know who the bloke in sun glass's is escaping from but "LOOK" at the 'Mk1 E Type', worth a fortune now in that condition. paul

See some of the folks who brought the old street pics alive by just being in them ... click the icon to choose any one of 100 pics when a PDF file opens in your default browser.
My Favourites

When the pdf file appears, scroll up and down, click any small pic and your default browser (Chrome, IE, or Edge) will immediately open the forum post to view the pic. After looking at the pic click the 'back arrow' (top left corner) of your browser to return to the pdf file and choose another pic.

On iPads touch any small pic in the pdf file and the Safari browser will open the forum post to view the pic. After looking at the pic touch the 'back arrow' (top left corner) of your browser to return to the pdf file and choose another pic.

The pdf file can be saved (if you want to) and will run from your laptop, PC, or tablet. You will however need to be logged in to the forum to see all of the pics ... :)

Edit note : The pic of tram drivers in Viv's post#529 has disappeared for some reason but I had copied it and a scroll down will find it in my post#535

Last edited:
#45, I don't know who the bloke in sun glass's is escaping from but "LOOK" at the 'Mk1 E Type', worth a fortune now in that condition. paul
if it was the 1962 Etype I bought in 1968 it will almost certainly be a big heap of rust now. The one I owned 27DYM was repainted red, bought for £900 in 68 and sold for £300 two years later.

That bus drivers leaning on someone behind that pole Im sure. Was this a role that conductors usually fulfilled ? - ie. position themselves as a balance post for the driver at intervals along the route while he has a comfort breaking ciggy.

Wasn't Titbits named due to the smaller articles (ie tittle tattle) in said publication - rather than in reference to the orbital upper part of a ladies appendage - cough - well thats my story and Im sticking to it lads :)
When they go on about the Military Wives is makes me think of Readers' Wives in my mate's dad's books he hid behind the tank in his aaiting cupboard.

Bbbbblimey - that Mo montage was a BIG laff out loud moment here, my work mates think Ive lost the plot.
You just cant get this therapy on the NHS - your doing a service here. Ha.

I missed the eggs one. How did I miss that ? it was so obvious.

I think running man's my all time hero (so far) he's caused commotion & been spotted in so many brummy locations uncannily. Do you think it could even be him (a few years later, and older) doing the speed walk ?

I'm not so sure the eggs were eggs - could they have been perfectly formed horse droppings ?

The leaning men in our pics should have a prize for the most unrelaxed lean's we have ever seen photgraphed.

I think running man's my all time hero (so far)
I wish I knew what that man was running for ... even Google doesn't know...
I didn't put a link on the egg pic so it has to be searched for.
Also no link on the only cat caught in a street pic but one forum member would know where it is.
That school cap looks unusual, more like an 'aussie' cricketer's cap. In fact I'm having second thoughts about whether the person in the pic is a schoolboy, he could be the lady's husband.

Could she have married a school boy tho ? :) ... or an aussie - I think both cases might have been frowned upon in those halcion days ?

Bad air-raid in Handsworth in 1942 - The adults look at the damage but most of the children look elsewhere and one young girl plays wearing one roller skate. Kids sometimes shared roller skates back then !
Image2_Rookery_Road_Bomb_Damage_1942.jpg

Last edited:
It's getting near the end of summer so I'll sneak another one into this thread.
I've often looked at this pic and wondered what the little chap caught in the pic is doing.
Maybe he looking for his dad coming home from work and ice creams are sold in that shop !
index.php

Last edited:
Do they still have the yellow squares as on the left with H's on in black the wall? Are they for water?. My gran had really thick creamy lace/net curtains thick like string but holey enough to let the light in. They may have been tatted. They were years old and they never fell apart, like now.
People put Windowlene on when they took their curtains down so no one could see in except there probably was not much to see. If anyone stared in mum would shout 'got yer eyefull?' The corner building looks like it is a pub with an 'outdoor lamp'.Nobody's got a TV airiel either.

Looking more closely at the buildings I notice the two houses on the left of the shop have the windows bricked up, and looking at the date 1969, suggests that the little boy's surroundings are soon going to change. I've had a look on Streetview and while I can see a corner of All Saints Road and All Saints Street I got lost and can't see any sign of the large building in the background.

Looking more closely at the buildings I notice the two houses on the left of the shop have the windows bricked up, and looking at the date 1969, suggests that the little boy's surroundings are soon going to change. I've had a look on Streetview and while I can see a corner of All Saints Road and All Saints Street I got lost and can't see any sign of the large building in the background.
Everything looks newish around there but check out this amazing old school building,anyone decipher the date over the door?..
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Al...xX963FCspJIe8qpgJQlAg&cbp=12,267.53,,0,-12.01

Everything looks newish around there but check out this amazing old school building,anyone decipher the date over the door?..
I've had a look but Google's camera seems to have malfunctioned just there and I'm not much good with Roman numerals. Does anyone know what the large building is in the background of the 1969 photo ?

I've had a look but Google's camera seems to have malfunctioned just there and I'm not much good with Roman numerals. Does anyone know what the large building is in the background of the 1969 photo ?

The School building date is MDCCCXLlll Which according to this https://www.onlineconversion.com/roman_numerals_advanced.htm is 1843 which makes it quite old
really:emmersed:

Just to confirm..
https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-b/brookfields/

Re post #491. I think that on the far left of the houses is the Hydraulic pub and the big building is Scribbans bakery, so therefore the pic was taken standing in All Saints St with All Saints Rd on the right of the shop. Back in the 50's I walked that way everyday to All Saints School.

Terry

Last edited:
Thanks for that information Terry. 'Hydraulic' is an unusual name for a pub, wonder if the locals had a nickname for it ?
I notice only yesterday, berniew posted a pic of the pub here
oldmohawk

Cov has The Elastic Inn and its still open in a redeveloping area, it's name comes from the industry of that time. There is also the Leg and Cramp which in much newer.
Dad had a historical document with the old Cov pubs on, several in every stret much more than now or nnthe 70's. I am sure Brum must have one too.
When I was on the town we had names for the pubs too. Some unprintable.:courage:

Another view of the Hydraulic plus a view of the old school which looks in worse condition on the photo than it does today.

Attachments

• Hockley Lodge Rd Hydraulic.jpg
    Hockley Lodge Rd Hydraulic.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Winson Green All Saints School .jpg
    Winson Green All Saints School .jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 108
Another view of the Hydraulic plus a view of the old school which looks in worse condition on the photo than it does today.
Two interesting photos. The one of 'The Hydraulic' look earlier than other photos on the forum, the large ornate lantern over the door has been replaced by a smaller one in other photos. The front of the school has been preserved but it seems to have become part of a factory or store these days.

Such a pity that councils don't appreciate their heritage. The Grammar school here is used for jumble sales. Whitefriars Monastery is empty and obliterated by the ring road, council have plans for The Charter House. I was lucky enough to have some triaing there. There is definitely an unnearthly presence. Have we a thread for haunted buildings? Nostalgic Nico

Re the pic in Phils post #501, the house must have been there when I went to All Saints, but blowed if I can remember it. I wonder if it was the caretakers house? Perhaps Carolina will know. By the way, I have edited post number 498, because silly me got my Saints the wrong way round.

Terry

Phil I cant remember a caretakers house, I would presume they were just ordinary households, but I cant confirm this. Here is a photo which my brother is the front row on the left hand side.

ALL SAINTS 1949.jpg

School caretakers' houses or school houses used to be cottagey affairs as I recall. Like the School House in Berkswell which I think comes under Brum's umbrella?
Our school caretaker's house (Mr Featherstone's) was of a decent size solid red brick, circa 1900's maybe, no front garden as it was in the school playground with a big rear garden and a vegetable garden. Sign of the times, he lost his vegetable patch to a carpark, then his job to the school being made a comprehensive with part of it being relocated. He was replaced by a nice little man we called Mr Magoo. Then it (Britian Road School) was pulled down and replaced by single story buildings. Its a shame as It was a lovely building with huge arched windows. I am smelling it again! The baby classed were single storey heated by goe stoves. Thanks for the memory.

Remember the George Formby song - 'Leaning on a lamppost at the bottom of our street' ... in Brum they leaned for the cameras ... all in the same direction !

The Champ

He's waiting for something to open !

Twelve years later it's the same place is it the same man ?
2nd pic in the linked post

He hadn't got a lamp post but he's cool !

Last edited:
I thought it was corner of the street, I could ad it to my repertoire. Or On Mother Kelly's doorstep. Maybe Big G sings it.

I thought it was corner of the street, I could ad it to my repertoire. Or On Mother Kelly's doorstep. Maybe Big G sings it.
You're right Nico, I have not heard the song for ages. Looking at the bloke in the 3rd pic I now notice he is leaning on a tram pole. There appears to be a bloke leaning backwards on a lamppost to the left of the door. There are a lot of people standing around so maybe they were waiting for the photographer to take a publicity pic for the opening of the large pub, and then maybe a free drink afterwards, but 'Cheshires Ales' I had not heard of them before.

You're right Nico, I have not heard the song for ages. Looking at the bloke in the 3rd pic I now notice he is leaning on a tram pole. There appears to be a bloke leaning backwards on a lamppost to the left of the door. There are a lot of people standing around so maybe they were waiting for the photographer to take a publicity pic for the opening of the large pub, and then maybe a free drink afterwards, but 'Cheshires Ales' I had not heard of them before.
Well I have a mate that's taken up the ukelele. If you like a ukelele lady, ukelele lady like a you, one of Nan's songs. Not heard of Cheshire Ales either. I would imagine there were not so many beer names around then but I could be wrong. Often am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back