• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it looks like it could be an early road sweeping machine or he's a motorised Antonio with his ice cream cart. Then again, it could be summat between the two. :crushed:

I've just tried enhancing the pic and the man seems to be looking at a girl with her head on the window ledge - maybe we have another mystery pic!

The thing he is one looks like one of those mechanical horses (cannot recall what they were called but saw one in use in Hockley about 15 years ago) as there is a trailer with a number plate attached.

What's Airmix and Disser, names on the shop? Also it has wooden shutter was that common? We used to do a rhyme at school shut up the shutters and shut up the shop. Hoping someone would say it wrong. and is this the right post to ask Carolina what the round building is on the photo? I don't know where the post numbers are.

Lister Auto Trucks
Delving through my memory, when I was an apprentice at a factory in Witton in the 1950s, I think I may have seen a Lister Truck carrying items in the forge.

Digger Tobacco
I remember my Grandad smoked it and I use to watch him going through his ritual of 'lighting up' with a large box of Swan Vestas matches. I don't think I've seen anyone smoking a pipe lately, not like in the old days when chaps smoked pipes while they studied drawings designing Spitfires and Lancaster Bombers. They always looked brainy and thoughtful when they smoked pipes !

Were you referring to this pic Nico from the "Old street pics.." thread posted by Astoness? I asked what the semi-circular structure was ? Never seen one before. Was it for coal or a maybe dog? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371072703.098032.jpg

~snip~ I asked what the semi-circular structure was ? Never seen one before. Was it for coal or a maybe dog? Viv.

View attachment 86844

I'd guess it was to prevent the ingress of rainwater to the cellar (coal cellar?). If you look closely at the houses to the left, in both cases there is something at ground level between the door and the window! A grating? A cover? dunno! <shrugs shoulders>

Well that's much more interesting Curley than a kennel or coal 'ole! Would never have worked that out. Thanks. Viv.

Well thought out Curly. I remember my dad's cousins having something similar on their back to back house in Victoria road but never asked what is was.

They were built when cellars had been made into shelters in war time, it was so that if the building collapsed the emergency exit wasn't blocked. we had one on our house.

Nick

They were built when cellars had been made into shelters in war time, it was so that if the building collapsed the emergency exit wasn't blocked. we had one on our house.

Nick

thanks nick i thought thats what they were for

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back