• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Santa Barbarra a great place to start a drive up the coast thru Big Sur and onto San Francisco one of the best drives ever, I made the drive with my wife in her XJSC years ago.
San Francisco"s trolley are cable cars there is a steel cable that runs under the street and never stops the driver of the cars operates a device that grabs the cable and off they go.
They are a national monument and the only monument that moves.

Underneath the Perry Barr flyover in 1974. I often used this flyover in the 1970s/1980s. The old Perry Barr Shopping Centre in the background.
View attachment 138517

The flyover today and the council want to demolish it but many residents want to keep it. It's future is in the balance. The old shopping centre has been replaced by the much larger 'One Stop' shopping centre.
View attachment 138518
great photo phil...not seen it before but a view i knew so well

lyn

We need to find a photo of Cherry Street dated late 1970s or 1980s and see if it is pedestrianised. I would have walked often in Cherry Street during those years but can't remember ... :rolleyes:

From the 'Old Street Pics' thread a 1972 pic of Cherry Street and a notice about something on 2nd October.
Today someone is selling Jacket Potatoes.
The folks in the 1972 pic probably knew them as 'Baked or Hot Potatoes'.
Going back another ten years and the potatoes would have been smaller and a lot nicer. Instead of a small caravan they would have been served from something looking like an eighth-scale Stephenson's 'Rocket', roast chestnuts being the only other choice. For a short period there were modified Messerschmidt bubble cars that sold hot dogs.

I remember something of the parties (VE and VJ). The food, younger folk should remember that a lot of foods were rationed at the time, so the choices and amounts were limited. A bonfire on the roadway (local councils would go crazy today :laughing: ), and short races (up to 500 yards) with prizes for winners. I think the adults had other interests later that evening. ;)

The fire from Friday outside of Tim Hortons - workmen have fixed it and put the paving bricks back.

The Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market opens tomorrow. Two weeks earlier than usual.

Back