• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

Again the picture comes from The Bournville Village Trust written in 1912 by the John H Barlow, the Secretary. It is available via the Internet Archive.

St Barnabus Church on the corner of Ladypool Road and Clifton Road, Balsall Heath. I read somewhere that the church was bombed during the war and consequently had to be remodelled. The thing is I'm sure I have memories of the full church being used in the 50's when I passed it every day on the way to school. I'm pretty sure it was a fire that caused the damage towards the end of the 50's. Can anybody else back up my memories?

Balsall Heath Ladypool Road St Barnabus Church.jpg

St Barnabus Church on the corner of Ladypool Road and Clifton Road, Balsall Heath. I read somewhere that the church was bombed during the war and consequently had to be remodelled. The thing is I'm sure I have memories of the full church being used in the 50's when I passed it every day on the way to school. I'm pretty sure it was a fire that caused the damage towards the end of the 50's. Can anybody else back up my memories?

View attachment 139233
Phil, your memory is pretty good, the church web site tells us of a serious fire April 1970.

View attachment 139233

phil if it was a fire that damaged the church in the 50s it may have been reported in the papers....hoping someone with access to the newspaper archives could look it up for you..

lyn

Another little trip around the suburbs of Birmingham reminding us of how things were and what they are like today. This trip shows us, Regents Row Hockley, the Junction of Bloomsbury St & Great Francis St Nechells, Northfield High Street, the junction of Washwood Heath Rd & Alum Rock Rd (The Gate), the Treasure Trove on Pershore Rd Cotteridge where I'm sure we have all browsed at one time or another.
My goodness, I remember Treasure Trove as a child probably around 1964 or so. I recall it as a dark and gloomy place brimming with adventure for a kid, jam packed with wonders! Just inside the door was a huge stuffed brown bear rearing up on it's hind legs. Terrifying at the time. It must have made quite an impression on me!

Banjo

Was the church still complete in 1954?
I can't say for certain Phil. Being only 8yrs old at the time I only saw it as a normal old fashioned church and I never saw any building work. I am assuming now that it was the original building because it was obviously well before the fire of 1970.

Back