• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Swan Yardley

Hi All

Can anyone help me regarding The Swan Pub during the late 1960's. My brother was a DJ (The Lyndon Sounds) at The Swan on Tuesday and Sunday evening. I was only 15 years of age at the time and have very little memory.

He supported such acts as 'Johnny Johnson and the Band Wagon'. Also the other DJ was 'Errol'.

I would be grateful of anyone with info that could help peace together data for a 'This is Your Life' style book for Clifford my ageing DJ brother.

Derek

Hi Ann, See ur from Sheldon I used to live there before I moved here even probarly seen u at one of Steve's gigs over the years, would love to see him again but got no plans to come back to UK
Shirls

After much searching & failing i have at last got a photo of The Goodcompanions Pub enjoyed many nights at the dances held there. Len.

Attachments

• Sheldon The Good Companions Coventry Rd.JPG
    Sheldon The Good Companions Coventry Rd.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 28
remember that well, if my memory serves me right didnt it get pulled down or refurbed for a chip shop?? Whats there now and whats happening to the Swan Centre, as I left the UK 3 years ago not up to date on how things are changing. I was born in Church Road, Yardley and lived for a few years in / around Yardley-Sheldon & would be intrested to know what it look like there now... They say its progress but Im always not quite sure:rolleyes:

Nice pic there Len,the Good companions was quite a landmark in its day.Not drank in there since 1985,so nice to be reminded.

remember that well, if my memory serves me right didnt it get pulled down or refurbed for a chip shop?? Whats there now and whats happening to the Swan Centre, as I left the UK 3 years ago not up to date on how things are changing. I was born in Church Road, Yardley and lived for a few years in / around Yardley-Sheldon & would be intrested to know what it look like there now... They say its progress but Im always not quite sure:rolleyes:

I believe they built a Harry Ramsden's chippy. That did'nt last long and I think it's now a MacDonalds. Not too sure though.

The Swan centre now.

Last edited:
hanco, The do all kinds of Asian food help yourself buffet style, there are also Travel Lodge type rooms, the present building was the Harry Ramsden chippy, it was never a McDonalds that was built next door, The Good Uns as i called it was demolished in 1993, a great shame. Len.

Out of interest why did they close and demolisg the good Companions?
It's a big building,and should have had a future if managed correctly.

Wessex, It must have been a valuable site, big money!, M & B`s were in Multi £Millions debt some years ago and were negotiating a buy out deal with the Diago? group which failed because of the debt, i need to search. Len.

Way before my time but maybe some of you oldsters might remember?

Attachments

• Yardley Swan Hotel (2).jpg
    Yardley Swan Hotel (2).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Len I played there many times in the mid 50s with my band the Modernaires John Crump the alto player, OldBrit,

Wow John you were certainly a man of many talents. I seem to remeber the Modernaires they must have still been going in the late 60's for me to remeber them. :)x

I left for the USA in 1957 to get into music with a big band in the USA. I did play for Stan kenton and Lawrenec Welk,(One and A Two and a One One Guy!) Arthur Ashworth who lived in Sheldon kept the band going in Brum till well into the 60s. We also did play for the Irish club in Small Heath for many years, lots of fun,when the Oldbill showed up! Happy Happy days. When in the USA I found that the musicians union would NOT let anyone in that was not a USA citz, I did play lots of gigs in LA and even at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach with Conti Condoli Shelly Mann and the boys. Havnt payed now for many years. Joh Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

#91 Seems I use to drink Double Diamonds at the Swan, Played with my band upstairs many many times, John Crump OldBrit

#91 Seems I use to drink Double Diamonds at the Swan, Played with my band upstairs many many times, John Crump OldBrit
Hi John, It was an Ind. Coop & Allsop run pub, Double Diamond was there top selling beer , us locals very often jokingly called it All slops!. Len.

Len There is a Brit syle pub in DenverCo USA that sells Double Diamond! Also did you have time to see it the name on the cul de sac after the shops on Church road, across from Hardings, is the Cresent? I was born in the house at the top of the street. backed onto the park I think.

Len There is a Brit syle pub in DenverCo USA that sells Double Diamond! Also did you have time to see it the name on the cul de sac after the shops on Church road, across from Hardings, is the Cresent? I was born in the house at the top of the street. backed onto the park I think.
That was the life, four pints of DD followed by fish chips and pickled onions at the chippy next door to the pub then back to work on nights somewhere on Bromford lane (couple of years before I met my Wife) :)

Another view of The Swan Hotel, Yardley, notice the Wall`s Stop me & Buy one trike on the car park. Len.

Attachments

• Yardley Swan Hotel Swan Island.jpg
    Yardley Swan Hotel Swan Island.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 37
The Swan Island area, circa 1950?, The Swan Hotel is on the L/Hand side of the photo, see if you can identify any other buildings!!, :notlooking::cooleyes: Len.

Attachments

• Yardley Swan Island .jpg
    Yardley Swan Island .jpg
    170 KB · Views: 32
The last Swan public house was knocked down around about 1986 and contrary to an earlier post at one time was very popular, it had several rooms, The Silver Ring which served as the Bar, The Morrocan Room which in the late 70's early 80's had live music or Disco's every night, at the back there were two more rooms, The Highland Room and the Cygnet, it also had a restaurant and at one time a night club, upstairs housed an enormous function room, shame it was demolished it was a wonderful pub and is very much a part of my past, there was a pub further up from Clay Lane called The Good Companians which has also long gone, the club in the shopping centre at the Swan was called Bloomers.

Used to go to the 'Swan' early 60's by motor bikes on Saturdays, and the 'Hen&Chickens' Wolverhampton Road.
Great Days.
paul

Great pub in its day was the Swan,there was a manager for every room,had some good times in there,followed by Bloomers across the road.

Like you oldroddy, my best friend and I always used to pop into The Swan for a couple before heading over to Bloomers...just a shame we had to get up for school the next day :friendly_wink:

My father was a head barman at the Swan for many years. He had a heart attack there in about 1963 and was lucky to survive. Like many men of his generation he went out to working men's clubs or pubs in the evenings, although I remember him as a very light drinker. We lived in Sheldon and the Swan was really remembered as a boundary. The 58, 58c, and 60 buses passed that way down the Coventry Road. It was the terminus for the 58c. I have many memories of these places and times. Perhaps you might remember my dad Jack Allso?

Back