• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Swan Yardley

Can't identify the truck Frothy, but I can see that my Ford 'Pop' is still standing outside.:)

ps, or is it a Morris 8? I'm useless at identifying cars ETC.

Last edited:
I think the van is a Morris "J" Type similar to the one in this photo. Len.

Attachments

• J type.jpg
    J type.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 14
Len the guy that comes around sharpening shears lawn mower blades and knives in the summer has a van rather like that. I shall have to look next summer and see what make it is. It is certainly very old. :) Mo

I was thinking it was more this type of Morris van.

Phil

Take a look at the the shape of the radiator,
and where the headlights are, do they ,look the same?
All Morris' vans, appeared to have delta shaped radiators,
and the headlights near the top!

?????........................Albion.........................Morris

Take a look at the the shape of the radiators,
and where the headlights are, do they ,look the same?
All Morris' vans, appeared to have delta shaped radiators,
and the headlights near the top!
The Morris are too hight, the Albion too low.
One must take into account some van bodies,
were built on to a standard chassis,
so the end product will vary!

Difficult isn't it?

Attachments

• Yardley Swann Inn PC .jpg
    Yardley Swann Inn PC .jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 11
  • albion chassis.jpg
    albion chassis.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
  • morris-van-03[1].jpg
    morris-van-03[1].jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 10
ethanedwards

You could of course be correct, I am no expert on vans, I am only going by what I see. On the Albion those headlights seem to be fixed about the level of the front bumper bar, whilst on the Morris they seem to be part of the front body panels. Also on the Albion they seem far to low. I agree that coachwork can make a vast difference to a vehicle, and if I am honest I don't think either ID can be taken as positive. Mine was merely a suggestion. As you have said without a better photo of the original it is a very hard thing do tie down to one vehicle.

Phil

Could it be a brewery or pub related lorry. What Brewery supplied the Swan then? the lettering on the van seems to be
-------ROYD
----------&
---------RY
Any suggestions?

The Swan was an Ind Coop & Allsop pub. beer etc deliveries were made at the far r/hand of the pub behind a set of gates no goods were accepted in the pub, the entrance in the middle of the photo had revolving mahogany wood doors, on the right was small room called "The Blue Room" and the rest was the Saloon Bar, to the right past the fourth window is the entrance to the upstairs dance floor/ private function room, far left under the veranda was the entrance to the Smoke Room, round the corner on the side of the pub was the Outdoor, this is one of the 4 Swan pub that i have seen while living round the corner in Charles Edward Rd, hope this diatribe will be of interest to forum members!. Len.

Len

Information is always of interest, I heard that before it was demolished (When was that the 70's ?) It was the largest pub in England, was that true or was it just an urban myth? or am I getting mixed up with the Mackadown.

Phil

I think your right, it was the largest pub, and if I remember correctly the bar at the old Bromford Bridge race-track was the longest bar.

The last Swan was demolished late 1966, they said it had the longest bar in Great Britain / Europe??, that is all there was inside just 1 long bar, no atmosphere. Len.

Mike

Yes there was, It was quite a large pub I went to a couple of functions there (not very good) but I had an aged aunt who worked for Berry's fires. She used to get tickets every year for the firms dinner & dance, and we used to go along to keep her company.

I don't think it was a very popular pub or it had much custom, well it couldn't have or else they wouldn't have closed it down.

Phil

Pete

I think it the name "The Swan" remained until it was demolished. Its surprising how many people still call the area around the island "The Swan".

Phil

phil.yes it was still call'd the swan shopping center when i left brum.
the reason i asked,is that i thought there was a club in its place. looking down cov rd towards sheldon,on the right was another pub,by clay lane what was that called,any idear?

The Swan pub site has an office block on it called The Swan Village, there was a club in the Swan centre, can`t remember its name, the Swan centre is closed now, a Tesco supermarket is to built on there very soon. Len.

Back