• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Outer Circle

George's contribution is not only detailed:- it matches my recollections exactly. Remember the Bundy clocks, where the drivers took their layover, and clocked in with a key when they left? There were three or four in each direction - Going anti-clockwise [now known as route 11a] there was a wait at Six Ways Erdington (or was it Stockland Green?), the next was I think at Bearwood, then Yardley Wood, and then I guess there would have been another around Yardley. In the clockwise direction [now route 11c], there was a wait at Handsworth Wood, but I don't think the next was until Washwood Heath.
Going on to the Inner Circle, I agree with Astonian about the timings on the Inner Circle 8 route. I went from Islington Row round to the Barton's Arms at Aston via Saltley, and it took well over an hour. But it was worth the experience, even at the front of a single decker, to see what changes have been made.
Peter

On the 11a Outer Circle inner ring in the 60's there were Bundy Clocks at The Fox and Goose,Tyburn Road,Stockland Green, George Road, Perry Barr,and quite a few other places further along the route.
On the 11c Outer Circle outer ring there were Bundy Clocks at , Church Road, Gypsy Lane, Stockland Green, Tyburn Road, Fox and Goose ect. Previous to the 60's there were Bundy Clocks at most major road junctions where the Outer Circle bus route crossed but these were gradually phased out.
Drivers had to 'peg' the clock with their Bundy keys and explain on their Bundy Pad why the bus was late. This was usually C.V.T. ( Congestion of vehicular traffic) or H.P.T. ( Heavy passenger traffic).
There was a paper roll inside the clocks and each day the inspector would rip off the appropiate recorded section from the paper roll and wind the clocks up.
The recorded slip would be handed into the garage traffic office and checked for irregularities such as the clock being pegged early.

Peter, at the mere mention of Bundy clocks my memory goes to one of those places where the rose coloured glasses were definitely removed. The Bundy's ruled my life at one time. There was one at Stockland Green and when I was in my early teens I was allowed to go to Discoverer's at the Church House in Erdington on Thursday nights but had to be home in good time. You were never quite sure whether the No. 11 bus driver would stop for a smoke and then a clock in. Decisions whether to get off and walk had to be made due to the time I had to be home. Invariably, if I got off at Stockland Green, often before I could make it along Marsh Hill 20 yards, the bus would appear and go sailing by at top speed, If I had stayed on and got off at Bleak Hill I would have been home several minutes earlier and under the wire. If the driver had wanted to idle around at Stockland Green you never knew when he was going to start the bus. It was a nightmare at times. On Sundays coming home from Erdington again the same thing.

The Bundy Clock at Witton Circle at the 39 bus stop was another peril in my life for years. I would start out late for work in town at times mind you; wait for a No.11 at Woolmore Road.....they were often late too. Pass the clock at Kynoch's which I tried to tell myself, when I dared to look at it, that it was wrong. I would get off at Witton then wait for the 39 mostly waiting and waiting whilst the driver had a chat with the conductor and then decide to leave. This often seemed like an eternity. Then the bus would go going like the proverbial B out of H until getting caught in traffic on Lichfield Road. I know I should have started out earlier!

When I was younger I loved going round the Outer Circle.

The Bundy clock at Witton 11C ring was located at Witton Island, outside the old Coop shop (now demolished in the name of so called progress!) at the junction of Aston Lane and Witton Lane (which becomes Brookvale Road at the junction of Tame Road).
The Bundy clock on the 11A ring was located just past the Emscote Road, Aston Road junction. There was a cafe between here and the corner of Witton Road called Aldo's and a good many off duty busmen had a nice breakfast there!
If Villa were playing football buses were parked in Witton Lane and Trinity Road near the football ground and several side roads near by. Most of the crews ended up in Aldo's if they weren't watching the football match.
In those days bus crews on football duty would get free match tickets.
In later days the football buses which were now one man operated all had to park up at Perry Barr bus garage. This was because the drivers were not allowed to leave the buses unattended as there was a cash box full of money and the drivers now had to have their refreshments at the garage canteen.

Hello Everyone,

As I have an interest in the Birmingham City Transport buses, I wonder if I could prevail on your knowledge regarding the location of where the buses were photographed on the Outer Circle route as per the attachments on this posting.

The photos are for inclusion on my fotopic site at https://www.dereksbusphotos.fotopic.net/c783480.html which comprise of the Birmingham City Transport rear loading vehicles. Please feel free to browse through this gallery and state your comments about it. Many thanks...

Hi Degsy welcome. Like the photos I had the pleasure of Driving a lot of the Buses when I worked at BCT works in fact I did my Driving lessons on a Guy Arab.:)

Welcome Degsy: I can identify the first photo on the left of the No. 11 bus. It is going up Reservoir Road from Stockland Green and travelling towards Six Ways, Erdington.

Hello & welcome Degsy 168

It looks to me if all the rest of the photo's were taken in Aston Lane just up from the island junction with Witton Rd, but I may be wrong so I would advise waiting for further confirmation.

pmc1947

Welcome Degsy: I can identify the first photo on the left of the No. 11 bus. It is going up Reservoir Road from Stockland Green and travelling towards Six Ways, Erdington.

Hi Jennyann - Many thanks for the info you've supplied regarding the first photo which I can now add to my fotopic gallery.

Hello Degsy, the second set of photo's are Witton, on one you can see the island, always called Witton Circle and on another the traffic sign which is in fact directing traffic round the outer cirlce route, via the old A38. The bus shelter is on the other side of the road and is going twards Perry Barr, I have stood there more times than I care to remember, and between the buildings opposite you can see the roof of the old tram shed, now the tram museum. As pmc says the bus's are in Aston Lane.

Hello & welcome Degsy 168

It looks to me if all the rest of the photo's were taken in Aston Lane just up from the island junction with Witton Rd, but I may be wrong so I would advise waiting for further confirmation.

pmc1947

Hello pmc1947 - That was my initial thought but, on looking the photos in more detail, I'm not entirely convinced that it is Witton Road.

In the meantime, can anyone identify the location of the two photos below this posting? Cheers.....

Alf & Charlie

Cheers for the info guys. I've just zoomed in on the pic of 3015 MOF 15 and the street name does show it as being Aston Lane which is in Witton as were the photos in the previous set. Many thanks for that...

Hi Degsy168, welcome to the BHWR,I'm not sure about 3221, I don't think it's Harborne I think it's a bit further round possibly Winson Green. Looking in Kellys 1969 there a butchers Hunts on Winson Green Road so it may be

Colin

Hi Degsy168, welcome to the BHWR,I'm not sure about 3221, I don't think it's Harborne I think it's a bit further round possibly Winson Green. Looking in Kellys 1969 there a butchers Hunts on Winson Green Road so it may be

Colin

Hi Colin - Many thanks for the info you've supplied in relation to the photo of 3221 working the Outer Circle route. I'll accept that it is on Winson Green Road based on your knowledge of the city. Many thanks mate....

Buses at Witton

Hi All. 3221 is on Winson Green Road, just passing Norman Street. The pub whose signs can just be seen on the left is still there, all the other properties have gone and new housing erected in its place. In the distance on the other side of the road can be seen the wall of the bridge spanning the railway and canal, just before Heath Street.
The Aston Lane photos are interesting, JOJ 847 (bus 2847) was the only "Standard" fitted with platform doors, as can be seen in the nearside view, and a heater - the grille is under the canopy over the bonnet.
This bus still exists, and is in the ownership of a member of Aston Manor Transport Museum, Witton Tram Depot.

Can anyone identify where Guy Arab No 3003 MOF 3 is seen turning left here on the Outer Circle route working anti-clockwise?

Is it Sandon Rd, turning into Portland Rd? The houses look very familiar to me, and I grew up on Hagley Road between Portland Rd and Meadow Ave.

Notice also the illuminated advertisement panel between the decks, unused in this instance.

Lloyd, Didn't you mean Sandon Road turning into City Road? I see the caption to the pic says it was taken only a few years ago, so I suppose the car in the picture belongs to another vintage vehicle enthusiast. The photographer was lucky not to have any other traffic in the way.
Peter

Didn't you mean Sandon Road turning into City Road?

No, sorry I'm mixing my roads up. It's Sandon Rd turning into Barnsley Rd.
You'd think I'd remember, having spent almost every day of my youth walking up there to George Dixon School, wouldn't you!
That's senior moments for you, you forget far more than you ever learnt!

Lloyd, Didn't you mean Sandon Road turning into City Road? I see the caption to the pic says it was taken only a few years ago, so I suppose the car in the picture belongs to another vintage vehicle enthusiast. The photographer was lucky not to have any other traffic in the way.
Peter

Hi Peter - I would like to point out that the date to which you refer was the date on which that collection within my fotopic gallery was composed rather than the date on which the photograph was physically taken bearing in mind that the buses of this type were withdrawn from revenue-earning service in October 1977.

No, sorry I'm mixing my roads up. It's Sandon Rd turning into Barnsley Rd.
You'd think I'd remember, having spent almost every day of my youth walking up there to George Dixon School, wouldn't you!
That's senior moments for you, you forget far more than you ever learnt!

Cheers Lloyd for the info you've supplied in answer to my question with which I'm satisfied!

My lasting memory of the 11 was that they finished all the old rear entry buses on the route, can anyone confirm this please?

I used to box at Wilmot Breedon and every week I would make the journey from Kingsbury Road to Amington Road with all the boxing gloves(got some strange looks but never any trouble!).

I see WB's gone and the pub on the corner where I used to have a pint of Guinness shandy after training (how they loved pouring that!) has gone too.

Sad how everything is either going or gone!

The Speedwell pub attracted gangs of bikers and got a realy bad reputation, was closed and demolished approx 8yrs ago, a car showroom was built on the site thats gone now, WB was gone before the pub the whole area has been altered, houses and factories and roads have been reconctructed, the Outer Circle bus would take you to the stop by Yardley Cementary in Yardley Rd, you then walked along Stockfield Rd to Wilmott Breeden in Amington Rd. Len.

Thanks, yes it was the Speedwel, with the best looking barmaid I have ever seen, certainly more attractive than a Guinness shandy!

Travelled the 11 bus route all the way round loads of time when I was a kid.
When I was 11 I had a crack at cycling the route. Took me 4 hours on a 24" wheel single geared bike and my legs were wrecked. Got the time down to 2hrs and 15mins eventually on a three speed sturmey archer.

Back