• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Outer Circle

The Bundy clock, or at least the stand for it, at Wellington Road Island, has only been removed in very recent times, maybe as little as three years ago.

Another No-11 tripper lovely day out starting off from Brookvale.
Happy days

Alcester Road (south) and Vicarage Road, Kings Heath. Sorry not sure of date.

I believe I drove one of those in the late 50s early 60s, somone could tell me if thats a Guy Body:)

No I drove most of the Buses I worked at BCT Works Tyburn Road. Job Title Shunter we moved them about in the works it was a big place. Then each afternoon I delivered a re-conditioned bus backto one of the many Garages in Birmingham. By the way there are a couple of lads on the Forum who worked there and Lads who also drove Buses on Routes:)

Alf ,I see the bus in the picture was fleet no. 2597, one of the first batch of 100 Guy-engined buses with bodies by Met Cammell in 1950-51. Guy's worked hard to get the contract and designed the 'new look' radiator for which Crossley and Daimler also supplied chassis around that time. Most people think the Guys were better buses, and they certainly lasted well.
Peter

Thanks Peter the only trouble was a few of them had Crash Gear Boxes

Well this has set my other arf off now talking about the buses. He was at Washwood Heath and a short time at Kits Green around 1963. He has just told me how the conductors were told to protect themselves in case of trouble. Apparently this was often on the evening sevice at The Gate Saltly because of the local Pubs and the Jigsaw Club. The training school in Birmingham taught them, do not hit anyone with your ticket machine use your wheel scotch, ticket machines are expencive. If there is trouble, run up the stairs stand at the top use your wheel scotch or your foot, not your machine as you are resposable for the equipment.

What would health and safety think of this today:Aah:

Michael tells me the hardest part was taking a sharp corner with a double decker full of people even standing down the centre isle. He had to stand to turn the wheel (no power steering) and if you took it a bit sharp the wheel would rub on the cab.:Aah:

I delivered a Bus to Halford Road Bus garage Perry Barr and turned sharp has I went into the Garage and the Air Brake Hose came a drift and I hit a parked Bus. One weeks suspension till it was investigated all was well they found the Fitter who had worked on the Bus:)

Comparisons

I came across a picture of an Outer Circle Birmingham Bus and compared it with a West Bromwich bus - the all too familiar sights for me!
Are they the same today?
I used to prefer these to single deckers. It was a joy to ride on top deck, and you could see over the high walls and hedges. The single deckers were claustrophobic, especially when there was standing room only.
I've added a Walsall trolley bus too. The sparks flying watching the bus conducTRESS "changing over" for the return journey. Is this outside B'ham territory!
They remained the same colours didn't they when they became "untrolley"?????

I very well remember the No. 11 Outer cicle bus I would catch at the top of Westminster and Wellington Rds to Erdiington - just to dance at the Palace or the Masonic - not really so long ago!

no 11c outer circle buses

having read some of the post about the outer circle buses it bought back some memorys
the 11c outer circle used to stop right out side our house on the handsworth new road we lived at 150 handsworth new road and just oposit was the handsworth new road secondary school
our mom used to take me and my sis on many a rainy day for a trip on the outer circle oh happy days

When we were in Handsworth in 2005 we took this photo of the Oxhill Road 70 bus, which now goes up to the cemetery. We thought they had changed. :) Mo

View attachment 9418

Last edited:
Mo, you'll see that is actually a 101, which takes in part of the old 70 route on it's scenic tour of Handsworth, Winson Green, to the city centre via Reykjavík.

101 route

I use the 101 Bus quite regularly (my dad's buried at Handsworth Cemetery and whenever I feel the need for a chat with someone who doesn't judge or answer back......) and I love the journey. Down through the Jewellery Quarter; Brookfields; Winson Green; Handsworth. All my old stomping grounds and lots of interest to see from the top deck. Then it stops right outside the gates of the Cemetery - very handy!

Is that the price for the fare on the 101? I paid 6d the last time I thought it was the price to buy it.:D

11c

Last week I purchased an interesting little booklet on Ebay. This booklet is called Brumtrail 2 and was published by Birmingham Urban Studies Centres Committee in 1975.

What it is an explanation of the outer circle bus route. It contains a map gives a little history and explains the route. It then breaks the route down in to eight sections and describes each sections giving details of landmarks such as factories, cemeteries, public houses etc. It also gives details of places that can be reached by a short walk after leaving the bus. Finally it gives information of all intersecting bus routes.

It is a real treasury of information, and I would advise anyone with the opportunity of obtaining a copy to snap it up.

Cheers

Pmc1947

Outer circle Number 11 bus

I seem to remember it was about two hours and twenty minutes and was four pence for children and a shilling for adults. You also had an extra long ticket with all the stages marked on it. I lived in Acocks Green on the number 11 route. From town I would often go to Washwood Heath on the tram and pick up the number 11 from there.

Thanks Paul I hadn't noticed the number, we were going by in the car and didn't stop. It sounds much better that the bus does more than just going into Birmingham and then having to get one out again or changing at Hockley Brook. Although I know for the Jewelery Quarter we used to walk from the main road where Lucas was, with a bag full of diamond rings my dad had set. Mom and I picked up thousands of pound (money) of stones and rings and then took them back finished. :) Mo

Frothblower: My brother and I used to take the No. 11 bus from Bleakhill Road to Six Ways,Erdington to attend Erdington Parish Church Children's Service
on Sunday mornings. We also took it in the afternoons to go to Sunday School. I remember the well dressed gentlemen drinkers riding the bus and dropping off at their special drinking places. I expect you could drink your way around the Circle if you wanted to back then.

The No. 11 commonly known as the Banana route, cus they come in bunches.:|

The bus drivers who worked on that route used to call it "The Desert" because there was no terminus and they had to keep driving round the route without stopping for refreshments.
It is one of the worst routes to drive on because there are so many hold ups at major road junctions such as Kingsheath ect. Passengers were (and probably still are) forever complaining to the drivers for being late even though the poor driver had to sit in the cab for hours on end without a break.

outer circle

in october 1956 while enroute from nottingham to cardiff docks having spent the satuday night at home (you just know considerate the army is)
birdbrook rd great barr we were made to go right at perry barr by the crown and cushion i was driving 6wheeled 16ton scammel heavy recovery truck towing a 4axle 32 wheeled heavy duty tank trailer
keep left bollards were difficult to manuever because of the width at road junctions i had to take them on the wrong side of the road hence at soho rd(i think )we met a no 11 bus we were half way out the swing of the trailer corner was just 2inches from a street light i needed to enter the crossing on the wrong side to clear the bollards the bus crew (bless them)
were addament it was against the law to reve.... a bus after trying to explain our unit was onthe move to board aship for the suez crisis a very
bus inspector helped to guide the bus backwards so that sunday bus trip saw something differant
tom33bus:):)

outer circle

in october 1956 while enroute from nottingham to cardiff docks having spent the satuday night at home (you just know considerate the army is)
birdbrook rd great barr we were made to go right at perry barr by the crown and cushion i was driving 6wheeled 16ton scammel heavy recovery truck towing a 4axle 32 wheeled heavy duty tank trailer
keep left bollards were difficult to manuever because of the width at road junctions i had to take them on the wrong side of the road hence at soho rd(i think )we met a no 11 bus we were half way out the swing of the trailer corner was just 2inches from a street light i needed to enter the crossing on the wrong side to clear the bollards the bus crew (bless them)
were addament it was against the law to reverse... a bus after trying to explain our unit was onthe move to board aship for the suez crisis a bus inspector helped to guide the bus backwards so that sunday bus trip saw something differant
tom33bus:):)

Outer Circle

HI GEORGE
YOU ARE VERY EXCACT ON THE TIMEING OF THE ROUTE AROUND THE OUTER CIRCLE WE USED TO LOVE IT EVERY SUNDAY AFTERNOON ,
TO US IT WAS GOING THROUGH THE COUNTRY SIDE VIEWS ,
THEN WE WOULD GO ALL AROUND ON THE INNER CIRCLE 8.
THAT TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR AND HALF ,ALL FOR 6 PENCE [A TANNER ]
DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CLOCK IN,SFOR THE DRIVERS WAS ON THAT ROUTE , ? . There Was Four AndIt Was The QUICKEST And Shortest Route Than The Outer Circle, Yet They Never Had A Clock In For Them ,
I Think Now It Would Take You About Three Hours To Go Around On That No 8.Bus, Thats If You Can Catch It.
Have A Nice Day Every-body Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Back