• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Hobmoor

J

jimmybcfc

the hobmoor pub

hi, i am looking for photo,s of the old hobmoor pub in fastpits rd yardley please. or any stories about it etc.....thanks jimmy.

hi the last gaffers of that pub was a lady called gabby
she had it for about two years ,then she moved to the golden cross pub at aston cross on the cornerner of rocky lane aston
she stayed there for a couple of years then sold it to a liam occonnor
whom as renamed orieolys irish pub,
he owns lots of pubs ,occ,s and the kilkennys in digbeth
the gaffer before gabby was a guy called john whom i ,ve known for years
and his daughter is a great old friend to my daughter whom went to school
together and they still meet up for nights out
john moved to the gyspy s tent in bordesley green, some years ago and his still there , john was a local lad to the hobmoor , grew up around there he did
a very nice guy ,and his wife ,
the hobmoor in its hey day was a very thriving pub
but in later years its the same old story the pub went down
and got its self a chequerd history as we call it in the trade
and sargent danniels licence officier from digbeth nick
closed it down and there as been houses on it for the last 8 years at least
i have an old friend by the name of dillion whom lives across the road from the pub , or should i say the houses now
we had many a good nights session in there
at one time the bikers ,the hells angells took it over ,but eventualy they moved on
they moved up the road to the speedwell pub in speedwell road acocks green , where upon they took over the pub , they went in
and tied the gaffer up and drank the pub dry they spent a old
three day event there without going home
the breweres closed the pub down and never openened the pub again in its history , it been a large car show room ever since
everybody moved to the old bill and bush which used to be coventry road police station many many years ago and still running
with no problems the pub is a very nice pub and its been running
by two long term friends of mine and my dutchess
by barrie and carroll johnson for the last twenty years or more
if you go to the gypsy tent john can tell you all you need to know
the hobmoor as had its moments in the past
with shooting gang war fare and base ball capers ,
it was the best thing for it was to knock it down
have a nice day best wishes astonian ,

hi, thanks for the info but you are wrong on a few points. first of all. Gabby is a bloke who i know quite well. it was never sold to liam o,brian. ( not o,conner ) gabby was the last person to hold the tenancy from the brewary. it was then pulled down to build flats in about 1989. i know that much. what i am looking for is photo,s or old stories of the place. as i grew up on fastpits rd and spent a lot of time there as a youngster.
thanks for the reply.
jimmy.

Jimmy, Astonian tends to go on a bit about cops and robbers and loose track of the thread and wanders off the main subject
I used the pub in the late 70's and 80's on the weekend and spent many a happy hour in the Speedwell as I worked in the area .......Did you know Stan Hatton who lived in Berkeley Rd as you must have gone to Bierton Rd School as he did and spent many a happy hour at the fair round the corner

Last edited by a moderator:
We were having a drink in "the Speedwell " one summers night, when my mate looked up at two guys who had just walked in. "Lets go", he said, and we left as quick as we could.
The reason we went was because it was very hot night and these two blokes had long overcoats on.
We went to the Swan and after about 15 minutes some chap came running in and said there had been a shooting at the Speedwell.
The signs are there, you just gotta know what to look for.;)

speedwell pub

cromwell
i know what i,m on about when i talk about the speedwell
i lived along the road from the speedwell ;
i lived in speedwell road at the time
my info; hasnt come from little snippets of the evening mail
and yes the hob moor pub was good in the hey day of the fifties
and i have afriend whom lived across the road in fast pitts road
then and still doe,s
and i know occonnor took over from gabby , at the cross
nobody had it aftergabby until liam had
and sargent danniels was the licenceing officier for the
area for issueing licences for the pubs
dave danniels now been promoted to inspecter
and is at steel house lane
and he was responsible for closing down alot of pubs in brum
for varios reasons ,
the hobmoor got a chequers history in the 70,s
all the old folk moved out when the younger ones moved in
the old dominoe brigade moved out and the darts went as well
disco s came and so did the trouble
incidently if you scour the old mail s in the libary
you will come across the story about the speedwell pub
where the gang went in and took over the pub
for the weekend tied the gather up and drank the pub empty
it stayed open for afew weeks later, and i just cannot think
of the gaffers name at the moment ,he was a big chap
then they sold the pub off check it out and see ,
i lived the life and not read it my info; is not text book material
have a nice day ,;; astonian ;;;

Elliott Ness were are all these pub pics you must have ? We would love to see them on the forum in the pub sections

i was born in fast pitts road and moved to berkeley rd which was built on allotments in 1970. i spent my whole childhood around the hobmoor. I still have lots of connections in the area.I was friends with the gaffers son in the early 60,s his name i think was gerald. my best friends dad had the chippy and his grandparents had the sweets shop called Haddons which were both virtually next door to the hobmoor. I remember to the rear of the pub was always a sort of dilapidated garden area consisting of broken walls and a car park which backed on the coach station (yardley coaches?). There was an outdoor which thrived with kids taking alpine bottles to be filled with mild for there dads.My mom and dad only used the place when relatives came to visit,which meant we kids could sit outside with pop and crisps.In the seventies discos were held in the back room which did usually end up in a brawl.my happiest memories of the Hobmoor is in the sixties with me and my mates standing outside asking "penny for the guy".

I can confirm that the Hobmoor's licence was not renewed on February 12th 1992. The last licensee was Peter Michael Sloan.

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Hi, MY Sister in Law Beryl and her husband Tom were the gaffers in the early sixties as me and my husband helped in the bar and at weddings, what hard work, it was a lively pub they had a daughter Terresa and a Son Gerard,sadly we lost touch with them but on doing the family tree last year, we were in touch with Gerard, both Beryl and Tom Moriarty had passed on, but it was nice to talk to Gerard

Last edited:
Thanks Gladi I really wasn,t sure about the name Gerald. I was only a child in the sixties but I have vivid memories of the pub it seemed to be the hub of the community.It was rough and ready as were we but not as bad as some people paint it certainly not compared to todays rough pubs. The people in that area were salt of the earth.The chip shop owner was Ron Shuck and the family opposite were the Baccioci,s.I remember some of the houses directly opposite on Berkeley rd east were For Police officers.

Succeeding Leslie Green, Tom Moriarty took over the licence on July 18th 1963 and was the publican until 1970 when Hugh McCalmont took over. Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Kieron

I wondered why it was named The Hobmoor when its in Fastpits Rd, why was`nt named The Fastpits, Laurie Tay told me that it was origionally on the corner of Hobmoor Rd but the council in their wisdom took of the corner and The Hobmoor ended up in Fastpits Rd. Len.

I used to live in whittington oval and work at C H Browns on cov road and every day for 4 years i got of the 16 bus and walked past the hobmoor pub . and of course went in a few times on the way home.
colin

It seems i may know some of you oldens on here that used the hobmoor, i lived in henshaw grove and the hobmoor was my local in the days of big-n-disco by norman the dj and then there was the free and easy on a sunday night.
I guess you may know of kenny clarke who did some bouncer work on the cabaret room, not that it was really needed, only sometimes LOL david danks, albert and john pardoe, brownie, phil hayward, wardy.
So all i have about the hobmoor are great times and memories and wish i could relive them once more :cry:

phil hayward is my brother and albert pardoe was my next door neighbour albert still lives down berkeley rd, sadly john pardoe died a few years ago.last saw dave danks in the ravenscroft club down green lane. lots of ex hobmoor lads down there.

hi you hay mills gang
just been reading your threads on the forum and your memorys
of the hobmoor pub hay mills
do any of you recall Gabby the gaffer therehe left and went to the
golden cross pub on aston cross
just after him the babbingtons took it over [ michele and john ]
john had one eye ; they was local people
they left and went to the gypsy tent up bordesley green
after a while there marrige broke down
michele runs another pub - i do not know whatjohnis doing now
len; did you say old laurie tay told you wasnt that he butchers
brothers as i remember them i know they both died and they left
the bussiness to there loyal employee , he himself was a very nice guy i remember him well and jacko ; i know the wardies very well as well i presume they are still knocking about today
and hayward i know your rother and the pardos very well john was my mate i left brum many years ago now
and i never knew he had died ; thanks for that sad information
i will tell the old dutchesshe thought john was brilliant
she got on great with the pardoes
except for seamus the gather at the monica he never got on
with them and he bard them from the pub indeed
is that hay mills club still going the last timr i was in there was quite afew years now there was a alittle fat bloke
by the name of sqizzer and his wife mavis
she was a lovely lady and they had one arm
my mate barry johnson as ran that old bill and bush
for many a year
thanks for reviving my memorys of the hobmoor
best wishes guys, astonian ;;;;;

In answer to the original request and only a couple of years late. The Hobmoor Public House. opened 1928 closed sometime in the 80's.

Phil

SmallHeathHobmooropened1928closedc1985.jpg

just came across this i was born in fastpits rd 1963 i went to school with the hawards and pardoes the to hayward brothers came to my birthday party when i was five i also moved to berkerly rd when i was seven my older brother don used to hang round with steve hayward i also remember pardoes dog brutes his name was got run over once done mare damage to the car that i can remember then we used to have great games of tracking there were the greens welens timy sean there was a lanky kid i think his name was steve we used to have great bonfire nights there was some good lads out there weve lost a few timmy carl plumb i remember his brother lee the hobmoor had a little outdoor used to get bottles sherry filled up its good to remember the past oh to be young again

Hi pete
i remember your family well. Was sad to hear that donald died so young he actually was freinds with my elder brother brian not steven. You were in dereks class i was year older derek now lives in dorset and has 3 kids steven pardoe lives in thailand most of the year. Still in touch with richard green he lives outside coleshill the lanky kid was steve reeves or "fez" as we called him.look at the thread fast pitts road for more memories. I was at your 5th birthday and remember the massive bonfire we built outside your house down dale walk i remember your terry linda and john too.
PS PARDOES DOG WAS BRUCE NOT BRUTES AND YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT HIM DAMAGING THAT CAR !

hi micky yes it was sad about don we also lost pat my oldest sister the year after she was the same age as don 47 it was a big blow to mom and dad two children in to years thay are still with us dad 84 mom 81 the old man is still a nutter at his age hows ur parents do you remember me doing the dance in the big puddle outside the chip shop in fastpits chucking the conkers every where remember when we all got that moped across the canel up the ackers and never forget the day when we all debaged rich green over the cole he run around in the nude we got up to some things in the past and the gang fights for the bridge over the river cole live in tamworth now three boy all over 20 it would be great to see some of the lads again its been a long time do you know how melcome green is ye good days ps no good at norman wisdom no more use make you smile

Hi pete
mom still going strong 82 in a couple of weeks and lives in walmley. dad died in 1998 after battling lung cancer for couple of years,still miss him loads.i remember like it was yesterday your performance in the puddle with the conkers and your norman wisdom impression,you,ve made me chuckle again after reminding me.i saw malcolm about 12 months ago over a beer with richard and do you remember john reilly the punk.malcolm lives in chelmsley.i bumped into paul shuck who used to live in the chip shop when we lived in fast pitts rd he has a garage by the blues ground.i am still in touch with a few from down the estate and maybe one day we will all get together for a reunion over a few beers in the redhill.

Last edited:
Hi pete
mom still going strong 82 in a couple of weeks and lives in walmley. dad died in 1998 after battling lung cancer for couple of years,still miss him loads.i remember like it was yesterday your performance in the puddle with the conkers and your norman wisdom impression,you,ve made me chuckle again after reminding me.i saw malcolm about 12 months ago over a beer with richard and do you remember john reilly the punk.malcolm lives in chelmsley.i bumped into paul shuck who used to live in the chip shop when we lived in fast pitts rd he has a garage by the blues ground.i am still in touch with a few from down the estate and maybe one day we will all get together for a reunion over a few beers in the redhill.
hi micky it was sad to here about your dad glad your moms well i do remember john he use to fancy linda and paul remember that buble gum machine down deakens road that was funny remember the gully at the back of your house in fastpits use to be a mound at the entrance we used to say there was a devil at the end of it ye would be great to get together one day do you have a family whot do you and derek do now i build potable wherehouses for the last ten years before that worked on the gas and water where do you live terry lives in chelmsley any way got to go speak later

Astonian, I am pleased to tell you that Laurie Tay is alive & well but the rest of his family are all RIP, he has been retired about 10yrs and gave the butchers shop to the butcher who worked for him, he has now retired and Laurie has let the shop a few times but it is empty now, Laurie lives above the shop, he & i went to school together and i am still in touch with him. Len.

hi pete i am living in south yardley near the cemetery, married with son 17 and daughter 10. i have an amusement machine business,supplying to pubs and clubs.derek lives in dorset with a danish wife and two girls aged 7 and 18 months and a 6 year old son.i remember the bubble gum incident, there heavier than they look.and would you believe only a few days ago i was telling my daughter about the alley way at the back of our house but i thought it was i witch that lived there not a devil. maybe we told you a devil to scare you more.do you remeber the bouncy castles that used to come to the park in the summer hols and a certain ginger haired lad who couldn,t resist setting fire to the long grass when it was really dry.do you remember "teethy" aka kevin chamberlain from berkeley rd east he had really long hair until i held him down and malcolm cut it with some scissors.he lives near bierton rd school now.anyway happy xmas to all the powells from all the haywards and happy new year.

hi pete i am living in south yardley near the cemetery, married with son 17 and daughter 10. I have an amusement machine business,supplying to pubs and clubs.derek lives in dorset with a danish wife and two girls aged 7 and 18 months and a 6 year old son.i remember the bubble gum incident, there heavier than they look.and would you believe only a few days ago i was telling my daughter about the alley way at the back of our house but i thought it was i witch that lived there not a devil. Maybe we told you a devil to scare you more.do you remeber the bouncy castles that used to come to the park in the summer hols and a certain ginger haired lad who couldn,t resist setting fire to the long grass when it was really dry.do you remember "teethy" aka kevin chamberlain from berkeley rd east he had really long hair until i held him down and malcolm cut it with some scissors.he lives near bierton rd school now.anyway happy xmas to all the powells from all the haywards and happy new year.
hi micky not been on for a while forgot password ye i remember the fire bug sean i think i remember the bouncy castles did some young lad break his arm when we jumpt on one i remember kevin did he live next to the taylers skiny lad run like .... See thay knocked the swan down now still come to brum often to bring flowers for pat and don and togo to bedders chip shop often drive down berkerly rd looks old now glad u all ok say hi to derek for me i will have to give you phone number dont know if u can do it on here any way ill speak to you later not so long next time

hi ya peter, do you remember the kellys, maureen, michael and barbara. its great to here that people remember that part of the world. Life really moves on dosnt it? Im in touch with deb galvin/pardoe and also deb goldie. Is there ever any reunions going on, if so let us know. :adoration:

Hi Kieron, my mom used to work behind the bar at the hobmoor we lived in alandale road next to Mark shuck,Paul shuck and his sister Jane happy days really miss them my mom said hughie was a gentleman when the shucks sold up Gordon bought the chip shop where I worked for a while.regards Brian

Back