• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tastes Of The Past

ta.alf it was burning my guts all night.but it prob was the make,it will not put me off,i will try another make.

I used to make loads of bread pudding for the family. My nan made it then my mom and passed the recipe down to me. With me it's pot luck like my pate don't measure a thing. Love it hot or cold. Went to the Harbour Inne two weeks ago and Mick mom had made some. It had all gone by the time we arived. JEAN.

My old man used to have a great big bowl of tripe and onions every Friday night, and it used to revolt me.

BUT - being well into Chinese cuisine, not so long ago I was in Chung Ying's (the best Chinese restaurant anywhere) and got talking to the waiter about offal. He suggested I try the tripe, which I did, and it was absolutely delicious. Cooked in a meaty stock with loads of garlic and a bit of chili.

That very same night I also ate a very tasty dish of - ducks' tongues...

Bon appetit!

Big Gee

Just did Pete a chicken and stuffing sandwich on crusty bread. Can't eat this late at night had mine earlier. USED TO LOVE MY MOMS RICE PUDDING ESPECIALLY THE TOP BIT. Glad you enjoyed it Norma. Don't make it anymore but do crumbles and apple pies as we both like them. JEAN.

Norma same hear don't make a habit of doing puds. May go two weeks with just dinners then make one when the fancy takes us or when the grandchildren are coming. Mind you they love pasta dishes chicken wraps with loads of salad. The easiest is a cottage pie when they all come round it pleases everyone including him in doors. When mom was alive I did more of the puds as she was a pastry cook by trade and taught me how to make spotted dick and steamed pudding with raisins etc. Bye. Jean.

Big gee just noticed your post about tripe and onions. CAN'T GET THE STUFF AND i LOVE IT ESPECIALLY THE FOLD OR SEAM WITH THE FATTY BITS IN. Bye for now. Jean.

Big gee just noticed your post about tripe and onions. CAN'T GET THE STUFF AND i LOVE IT ESPECIALLY THE FOLD OR SEAM WITH THE FATTY BITS IN. Bye for now. Jean.
hey hey if you get to be around woodgate valley country park,on a Tuesday,they have a cafe in the main building,they make a wicked bread pudding.
my mom used to make them on a grand scale i used to take it to work with me happy days,we still make it on occasion to her recipe,i,ll have to post it.
regards dereklcg.

Thanks Derek I love it but don't make it as I now am the only one who eats it. PETE ON OCCASIONS BUT VERY RARE. It's the tripe I can't get hold of and I loved it with a thick onion soup after it had simmered for ages. My nan used to cook bread puddings for Mr minty's cafe in Franchise street till she was in her seventies. Look after yourself. Jean.

Sorry Jean i,d have to pass on the tripe,now the onion soup is another matter,i do
love onion soup, all soup really tell a lie, i could,nt eat anything fish related
each to there own.
regards Derek.

Dereck I love all sorts of fish but every now and again I get a nasty reaction especially from eating prawns and I love them. I had the same from eating strawberry's years ago and came out in big red blotches as a child. Asked for it I ate more than we paid for. Served me right. Jean.

The best cakes in Aston were obtained from Mountford's bakery on Lichfield Road, not far from Sutherland street, Mr Mountford's lardy cakes were to die for, and the smell of the baking first thing in the morning would drive you doolally if you were hungry,(we always were)

MY MOM,S RECIPE FOR BREAD PUDDING.
8oz stale bread half pint milk. 2oz each of currants/sultanas/mixed peel/
sugar/margarine melted. teaspoon mixed spice 1 beaten egg with tbl spoon
milk. milk over broken bread give it a good stir let it soak for 30 mins mix in fruit egg etc put in greased dish sprinkle a bit of sugar on top if req middle shelf oven approx
1 hour gas mark 4, works for me and mine we as kids loved it and still do
i,m making one myself for the weekend as we have visitors we will be at the
60s bash i,m not bringing any though be a bit messy with the custard.
hope you enjoy;;)) regards to all dereklcg.

Thanks Derek. I'll have a go and let you know how it works out
later. it's 8.22am here and I'm hungry.

Hi Jennyann,it,s wet windy cold black as your hat
in general not good weather wise at all.
hope you enjoy my moms recipe god bless her,
so you won,t be over for the bash then.
16.28 here regards Derek

Thanks Dereck will make a note. Beryl has some good recipe's up her sleeve. Did her pie one the other day and it was delicious. Does anyone remember Claremonts bakery at the top of Witton road and the one at the bottom end. Worked there after school as one of my jobs. Could tell you a tale or two. Jean.

do'se anyone remember soada bread i think it was called my mother used to make it and it was deliciouse.
shardeen

I live in America now, and if you mention 'Spotted Dick' here, one they haven't a clue what you're talking about, and, two they get really embarrassed.

As this is an old thread dont know if anyone has mentioned school dinners. Spotted dick was definitely one ( thank heavens the PC brigade got put in their places)The one I really liked....wait for it....battered spam and beetroot! ...yum yum

I used to love spotted dick and cornflake tart - in fact most of the school puds.

re taste of the past
my mum made suet pudding put it in a pillow case and boiled it in a big saucepan
cut in to wedges and poured hot jam over it with custard .her bread puddings was out of this world
she made bread every day

As this is an old thread dont know if anyone has mentioned school dinners. Spotted dick was definitely one ( thank heavens the PC brigade got put in their places)The one I really liked....wait for it....battered spam and beetroot! ...yum yum

What about tapioca pudding it was like eating frogs spawn, great for spitting between your teeth at your mate sitting opposite you.I have my own chip pan with beef dripping in dosn,t do the high blood pressure much good but i have to lie to the doctor and take a couple of extra pills.Dek

Dek and to which school did you go to do this horrible thing to your mates?. Take a bit of the old proactive advertised on tele too that does help with the cholesterol and helps then to lower the blood pressure. Jean.

Back