• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tastes Of The Past

My wif Jill makes the Best bread pudding, when I go diving, I eat a couple of pieces before I go instead of wearing a weight belt. She also makes great suet puddings, treacle & spotted dick. Plus malt loaf. I keep telling her that it's her fault that I look like Homer Simpson, and her stock answer is "NOBODY'SMEKIYEREATIT"

Right on Frantic's wife......lucky for you though Frantic with all those good things to eat.

Something that we have which and is not very common here is Scotch Eggs. Great with a salad. O0

I can't believe the things we used to eat, you are obviously a shell fish lover Rupert. When I think we eat tripe and onions, brain's and soft roe on toast. :eek:

When my dad and I used to get off the Midland Red at Worcester and wait at the bus stop for the bus to come to take us up the river with our fishing tackle. Right there was a bakery and early in the morning the product was still warm. We did not buy bread however, we bought fresh warm Lardy Cakes. The school boys delight. I suppose that product is condemned now.
Regards

PS . I was trying to make Di. cringe. Maybe she likes jellied eels.

Rupert I'm with you on The Shell Fish & eels.

One of my best friends Mother was part of the Hawkins Family and had a a Stall at Perry Barr Dog Track and my friend and myself used to do the washing up for her at the Weekend meetings for all you could eat and 2/6p.

We used to help out on Saturday Morning at a place behind Woolworths in the Bullring she would kill and cook the eels and we would keep the place tidy.

I believe there was a Hawkins Shell Fish Shop on High Street Aston near the corner of Potters Hill if not someone tell me to stop me going :crazy2:

Alf,
You blighter, I wish I had never mentioned this item. Now you are making my mouth water and I don't have a bit of sea food in the house. :( Well here's one for you, In Newfoundland they have a dish called Cods Tongues. Never tried it but you see them advertised everywhere. Good old Newfie, you should visit. Great people. It might be a cheap holiday for you guys with the conversion rate. They have a rum called Screetch and in a bar you have to be Screetched In. This involves kissing a large codfish which the bars have on hand for new incumbents. Don't worry you kiss the fish on the lips of course.
Regards.

Alf, the Hawkins Shell Fish Bar was just above Burlington Hall on the High Street, I can remember it looked very posh when it opened with multi coloured glass window panes. I hate any shellfish but years ago (late 50s) we used to have the periwinkle man come round on Sunday afternoons selling them from his basket carriage, my husband always bought some and used to pick worm like things out of the shell with a pin and eat them - ugh - I couldn't look.

Thanks Sylvia I'm sane again, I love those things you pick out with a PIN :D

I'm with you Sylvia.

Rupert, I feel the same about jellied eels as I do about whelks. I could eat a good old lardy cake though. :)

In the 60's we were living in Cyprus, eating kebabs and lots of salads, with lovely local bread, we ate fruit for a pudding. I came back for few weeks holiday, and stayed in Birmingham with the family. I took myself into town on th 5a getting off in Colmore Row. I walked through the arcade to go to Rackhams and was muck struck, as they used to say, when I got to the Birmingham Dairies cake shop. I remember so well stopping in front of the shop and just staring at the cream cakes piled high in the window. I bought a bag full, and sat in the churchyard eating a cream horn. :)

I would hope not at 2am, you are night owling again Alf.

It is difficult to find fresh cream cakes here, unless you can find an Italian Bakery. As far as I know we don't have one around here, you have to go into Scarborough ( near Toronto) where there is a larger Italian community. The fresh cream cakes have to be kept in refrigerated counters and the cake shops don't usually have them here :'(

I just loved them when I was young and now when I can get one. :smitten:

Sweet dreams.

Canada definitely is a cream cake wasteland. I used to love any kind of cream cake when I lived in Brum. George Baines Cream Horns and Pineapple Creams picked up on the way to work :smitten:. Victoria Cream and Jam Sandwich Cakes were a Sunday treat very often at home and, of course, the scrumptious Kunzel's delights. Alas, there were no cream cakes whatsoever in Peterborough, Ontario, where I lived for a couple of years and same thing when I moved to Toronto. I would walk miles looking for lamb chops for a start since they were so hard to find and also bakeries selling cream cakes.........found a few lamb chops on occasion but no cream cakes. I used to dream about them at times and after also having the European cream delicacies before I went to Canada I used to dream about those as well.

When I came to Brum on visits I would head to the nearest bakery for a cream cake fix. Pattison's was still in business then. Later on I would visit Druckers and Greggs and small bakeries in villages I was visiting. Cream teas down in Dunster had to be relived when I was down that way on holiday. I was always so pleased that Gregg's were all over the place in the Midlands and always had lots of lovely cakes.

It was the same in Vancouver for years.....a cream cake wasteland........then slowly the odd European bakery would have a very small selection....now, there are shops all over the place selling fresh cream cakes and European tortes. Sadly, I don't fancy them like I used to but always enjoy an eclair or two when in Brum. :laugh:

:angel: Wimbush's 'CREAM ROOM GIRLS 1966' left to right:
Phyllis, Susan, Myrna, Christine Brown, Nellie, Margaret, June, Janet, (Me). Behind me are: Lilly (the tall girl) and Dora (the shorter one).
The photo was taken by one of two big refrigerators that held all the finished cream cakes, until they were dispatched to the vans.

I still love and eat cream cakes :smitten:

Last edited:
Cream cakes don't to much for me. How about some kosher Black Country pork scratchings then? You can still get good ones in a few places.
Peter

Wimbushes made a great jam doughnut with sugar on the outside. That or a Worcester Lardy Cake would be an agonizing decision.
I have never had tripe and onions, one of the above might make a nice desert to that.
Rupert.

If we want anything with fresh cream I do it myself now as it is too hard to find.
We have a meal with some English friends every Christmas and one of the things I always get a request for is Trifle.
That is something we still love but only have a couple of times a year. :smitten:

I can relate to everyting you say Jenn and just like you on the rare occasions I am in Britain I aim for the bakery. :smitten: :smitten:

Back