• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tastes Of The Past

After a weekly visit to the old dental hospital,mom would treat us both to the most wonderful faggots and peas with mashed potato and loads of thick gravy followed by spootted dick and custard. this wonderful meal was available at a cafe which I seem to remember was not far from the hospital. It had wooden tables and benches which had high backs on them, you couldnt see who was eating at the next table. A mug of strong tea would then be enjoyed certainly by mom who would enjoy Park Drive with hers. I wonder if anyone rembers the cafe and where it was situated.
maggie

:thumbsup:My nan taught me how to make bread pudding. Hers was the biz. She used to make it for Mr Minty's cafe in Franchise street. My mom was a pastry cook at the IMI and she made spotted dick and another with sultanas in. The problem there being when she came to make puddings etc for just the family she had to revert back to the cookery book for weights. At work she would do the puds for the chaps in the factory and sometimes that meant weighing ingrediants by the pound and eggs by the dozen. Alf send us a piece of your bread pudding it sounds mouth watering. Don't make it any more as no one else likes it. I'd end up eating the lot.:thumbsup: TTFN. Jean.

Spotted Dick, Rice pudding, bread pudding and sago, everyone seems to like them but me. Can't stand stodgy foods - Seldom eat desert if I do they are fruity. .

I can't supply the dripping but I do bake a Granary loaf every other day, flour, butter,sugar,salt, yeast and my Asda £23.00 bread maker.

Maggie did you have to, now, i could just eat that. to die for. I was thinking about spottted dick today don't know why, i haven't had any for years and faggots well they don't make them like they used too.
Yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...Cat:)

Had Faggots & Peas nobody else in the house will eat them lovely Grub
:)

I remember a shelf in the pantry at home that I could just reach, it always had a bowl of beef dripping on it. I would reach the bowl and make a sandwich, plenty of pepper....Ummmm

I shouldn't have read this thread, my mouth is watering.......what about my favourite meal in the whole world, pigs liver!!! Oh how wonderful, lots of onions & bacon & gravy.......I'm starving just thinking about it:D Yum to some of the other things on here too, lardy cakes, faggots, rice pudding, bread pudding & bread & butter pudding. My Mom still makes a wonderful bread pudding & altho I say it, so do I.

Non of my lot like any of the above which is a great pity as I dont like just making it for myself!:(

I lived in Fountain road B17 and the baker was Mr Jennings, came with a horse and cart and you chose the loaf, all different and I always chose the crustiest one!

MY mum makes the most amazing bread pudding
Its very heavy and full of sultannas yummy and we all still fight over it . She has taught me to make it too but I cant make it like my mum . !! Also theres a little shop in cotteridge that does a proper cottage loaf like the old days :) hmhm bread and dripping . Anyone ever dip their bread in the hot roast fat too ? Or what about A piece spread with lard and a bit of salt . very bad for us eh ?
Jean

When we were kids and pretty poor in the week we would have bread and jam . Mom did very well to feed us really . But the meats she used to buy were all the cheap cuts breast of lamb boned at the butchers and stuffed .. Liver and onions .. and she used to come home with a cooked Hock and pigs trotters from the market . Can you still get hock I wonder ?
I loved the dripping from liver and onions . And also I still keep the fat in my chip pan for weeks .. a guilty sectret but my chips are just like my mom and gran used to make :) Brummy Chips !!
hmmh you lots have done it now .. Im going to ring mum tommorrow to make me a bread pudding :)
Jean

I live in Halifax Yorkshire and you cant get Roe and chips .. hmmh fresh roe yummy .
I think people had to eat every part of the anuimals because meat was scarce in and after the war . But I really think that there was no harm in the food we used to eat . Children are Molly cuddled these days food wise too .. if we didnt eat what was on our plate then we would starve cos there was no more . .. oo theres an old saying for you .
Anyone else think the bag of chips we used to eat while going rounf the market on a sat afternoon was the bees knees ?
Jean

My mom fed me on bread pudding steam pudding - things that stuck to the ribs to keep out the cold -

Now I can't stand bread pudding steamed puddings or any stodgy so -called healthy deserts. I just like the fruity ones- must be something wrong with me LOL

That is interesting Tardebigge prices look good as well, shipping would be expensive I guess.
I bought white bread by mistake as we only eat whole wheat so I'm going to make a bread and butter pudding I fine it lighter than a bread pudding.
Jean, I remember so many of the things you mention but wouldn't dream of eating them now. We didn't know any better, when I think of tripe and onions I can't believe it. As you say our parents didn't have much money and got the cheapest meat possible. Even then it was hard to make ends meet. Mo

Tardebrigge: Pete from Pete's Frootique used to have his own spot on CBC TV in Canada many years ago. He used to pick a different fruit and explain how to use it in recipes, etc. My Mother-in-law, who was a Brit loved him and would always watch. Later on he had a food travel show which he went to different countries and talked about the food that they grew. I remember him being in Australia at a Kiwi Fruit farm. He was one of the first "foodies" on TV all those years ago.
We have several British food outlets here in Vancouver these days but for years we only had one in a distant suburb of Vancouver and it was run by an older couple from Birmingham. It's still going but the couple from Brum have passed on. When we go to Steveston where this shop is I will buy
blancmange, Cadbury's chocolate made in Brum and at Christmas
English Christmas Puds. You can buy locally made Black Pudding although we have an English butchers close to us that has a line of Brit. groceries and meats.

Mom used to make steam puddings of all kinds I remember. She woukld also make bread pudding from time to time. Also, we ate liver and onions, roe. pigs trotters. Mom used to bring home faggots from a shop in Potters Hill as she worked close by. She would take a basin and bring them home on the bus covered with a plate. My father, whose family background was Wolverhampton, liked all kinds of different foods my Mother didn't like and we kids wouldn't touch.

We never had homemade chips so I only had them from the chip shop or
later on at friends homes. Everywhere we kids went for a meal there was always a large plate of bread and butter. You don't see that these days.

When I visit my friend in Wales I always stop for a sandwhich and a coffee. It is locally bred pork and locally made bread. It really tastes so much better than what we have to put up here.

My grandma, who was Irish, made the best apple tart in the world. She was a magnificent cook, anything she baked, cooked or steamed was worthy of king!!

Here is my recipe for fruit cake. I must admit I have never actually comleted the process but it does soud scrummy.

I make bread pudding for friends and peoples parties and have been told I should market it, but considering I put half a bottle of Jack Daniels in each one I think I could have a problem.

Like your "recipe" very much Stitcher. It's that time of year for a lot of folks.
Making Christmas cakes, etc. The Jack Daniels added to the Bred Pudding sounds wonderful John.

bread pudding.yum yum,there was a shop opp,stechford baths that sold bread pudding,it was lovely.i thought so.but it was heavy.one lump and you was full.I would like to try some soaked in jd.

I made our Christmas Pudding last week, and the mincemeat today. Laced with plenty of booze!

norma s.i love black puding,but sadly now it hates me.Tripe yuk i try'd it. my dogs eat it,and all night it was thundering.

Back