• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

In all honesty Richard, I could not say, but hazard a guess on "Lifestyle", where a in 50's and 60's, we were mostly working poor, and not so much TV,, no mobile phones or computers, such places as, The Lickey's, and Cannon Hill Park, and Sutton Park were available, and free, and sort of like a small holiday to us then. In saying that I think the last time I visited Sutton Park was about 1961, 2, so long ago.

The park was actually quite busy this morning but we all go in our cars and damage the place as a pic from my dashcam shows. I don't go there often these days but would happily pay to go in. Perhaps they need ANPR cameras on all the gates and we would have to pay remotely.
View attachment 168558
Wow, that looks like a few of Adolph Putins shells have landed on Sutton Park !

Was in Sutton Park a couple of Sundays ago walking the dogs and seemed pretty busy. I think iam right but back in the 1970s you could drive from one end of the park to the other. Cannot remember when it was stopped though. Do they still fly the model aircraft in the park ?

Was in Sutton Park a couple of Sundays ago walking the dogs and seemed pretty busy. I think iam right but back in the 1970s you could drive from one end of the park to the other. Cannot remember when it was stopped though. Do they still fly the model aircraft in the park ?
At one time you could drive from gate to gate across thr park, nowadays modern cars would be to destructive,but Ford'8s and the. Like were not in at Bold
This was the forties and fifties , ca me back, in the sixties in my Vanguard in at Boldmere gate, out at Boldmere gat.e
bob

Wyndley Pool in 1939. It was the pool favoured by ice skaters but one frosty day in the mid 1950s six of us went through the ice. We all managed to get out but the five mile journey home in soaked clothes was interesting and very cold ...
WyndleyPool1939.jpg

Today it doesn't look too different ... maybe more trees and warmer winters.
WyndleyPoolnow.jpg
images from Google and 'britainfromabove'

Wyndley Pool in 1939. It was the pool favoured by ice skaters but one frosty day in the mid 1950s six of us went through the ice. We all managed to get out but the five mile journey home in soaked clothes was interesting and very cold ...
View attachment 168611

Today it doesn't look too different ... maybe more trees and warmer winters.
View attachment 168612
images from Google and 'britainfromabove'
Great photo brings back great memories as I worked at Wyndley Pool for eighteen years and used to spend lunchtime on dry days sitting by the lake feeding the ducks and other birds.

What a great piece of history. Thanks LadyP. A great example of how mills adapted over time, and could change completely for different purposes; corn milling, then button polishing (and for 50 years). The various Perry Barr mills did the same, and it’s always surprised me how different their uses could be. Thanks. Viv.

Not sure if I have posted this before but as John Bishop Midland C&AC also knows, we raced our bikes a lot at Sutton Park This is one in 1951 that My Dad (GodBlessHim) took with his Kodak Brownie camera, remember those? as I was passing going up the hill, also one from Midland C&AC Roll Call was taken in 1954 when I was in the RAF, not sure if I am in that one, I may be lurking at the back, waiting to pounce, great fun those races, loved the cheering crowds.

Attachments

• 22228432_1164327127000655_1542386866021609239_n.jpg
    22228432_1164327127000655_1542386866021609239_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191206_094805_2 (1).jpg
    20191206_094805_2 (1).jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 22
Not sure if I have posted this before but as John Bishop Midland C&AC also knows, we raced our bikes a lot at Sutton Park This is one in 1951 that My Dad (GodBlessHim) took with his Kodak Brownie camera, remember those? as I was passing going up the hill, also one from Midland C&AC Roll Call was taken in 1954 when I was in the RAF, not sure if I am in that one, I may be lurking at the back, waiting to pounce, great fun those races, loved the cheering crowds.
Great memories John!

Back