• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

Thanks Bren Pete was sure there was. There was one punt in the middle of the pool and one person fishing. Even though the sun was shining it was still very cold. Jean.

It was blackroot we walked round last week Bren. Maybe someone will come up with some old photo's. Jean.

There used to be a large hut used by an outdoor swimming group at Blackroot pool. I used to see people swimming in all weathers when I went jogging on Sunday mornings about 10 plus years ago. One day, some persons decided to a burn it down and spoil things.

OldMowhawk that's brought things flooding back about the hut being burn't down. I worked at Wyndley for over 18 years in the swimming pool and a lot of the people who did their yearly swim eith Christmas or New Years day used to be members of the early risers club too. They even used to crack the ice. OOOOOOH just the thought of that icy cold water. Love the photo of the pony Bren. Jean.

Here are two old pics probably late 20's early 30's of my Uncle Leonard and Aunt Hilda in Sutton Park standing by, and bathing in, what I believe to be Powells Pool, probably before the Golf course and Monmouth Drive were there - happy times. My Uncle later in life was called up into the Army in WW2 and was captured before Dunkirk to become a POW for the whole of the war.
InWater.jpg

OutofWater.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those lovely photo's. I reckon they used to have those lovely hot summers back then. Jean.

A photo of my son by a tree on his bike in 1983, and the same tree in 2003. I look back thinking how much the park featured in my life, and it still is a great place to visit. I notice the grass in the 2003 photo looks more well kept.
oldmohawk

1983 on what was known in the 80's as a 'Chopper' bike.
1_Sutton_Park_Tree_1983.jpg

2003 no blossom on the tree but it's still there.
2_Same_Sutton_Park_Tree_2003.jpg

Last edited:
That was our Sunday afternoon out and have posted pictures on this thread. The one I cannot find anywhere is of the up and down horses on the fair. I remember that day as if it was yesterday. I sat in front of my dad and screemed the whole of the ride. I must have been about five. Jean.

Sorry I didn't say anything about your new photo's Mowhawk. If you look back I have done the same thing put a photo on of mysel about 7 years of age and one of myself 3 months ago in as near to the spot as I could get without treading in cow dung. Jean. That is by the La Reserve pool.

Lovely pictures my childhood playground. I could walk or ride my bike to the park and often swam in Bracebridge pool. The building at Blackroot was used to store boats and floats etc. As Mowhawk says next to it was a place where you could buy refreshments and I suppose it was used as a changing room before.There was no swimming allowed when the boats were in use. I worked on the paddle boats in the school holidays and weekends. I even learned to row a skiff (i think thats how its spelt) they were difficult because the seat moved back and forth........oh the memories.

Had a good three hours this afternoon in the park and the weather was lovely. We went to three pools and have some photo's to share with you.

Sorry the third photo on the previous thread is the Bisto above Blackroot Pool. Blackroot pool looking down from the Bistro car park. Jean.

This is where we parked our bums and had a swift half. It's the Park pub the Town Gate side. The dog had his bowl of water. He's been asleep since we got back. Walked his little legs off. On the way back we passed the childrens playground that is being reconstructed. Should be lovely when it's finished. Jean.

Last edited:
Jean,

My wife and I were in the park this afternoon. In fact, at 1.30pm we were in the Blackroot Bistro having lunch. I can recommemnd it. Not cheap but excellent food.

You must have walked a few miles. We only walked round the field by the bistro.

Old Boy

Old boy that's about the time we were there. We stayed for about half an hour walking around there. Youre not on the photo are you?. The food smelled lovely so may try it one day. Jean.

We went back today through the Banners gate end. Pete took some more photo's as it was a lovely day. Sign it's getting warmer the ice cream van was there. Here are three photo's of Longmore pool. Jean.

Just before we reached the pool there was a puddle and it was full of frogs croaking and frog spawn. Hope the photo's show the frogs clearly. [I took these so fingers crossed]. Jean.

This is a photo of the stream where I took my twins tiddler fishing when they were young lads. I think this brook runs through to Plantsbrook but correct me if I'm wrong?. Jean.

Lovely pictures. Used to go swimming in Keepers Pool when a 'gel'. Trying to enclose some view I have taken in later years. Miriam

Thanks for sharing them with us Miriam. I used to swim there too. Did you swim out to the raft and dive back in?. Jean.

Back