• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

Would this have been close to Oldmohawk’s image in post #1620 ? Or is it a reference to Baden Powell (and the Scouts jamboree held in the Park) ? Viv.

View attachment 174923
Viv, this was the cafe and boathouse built in 1939 which now houses the Miller & Carter restaurant. In his book 'The History of Boldmere', Ken Williams states that the pool could have been named after a farmer but this, I think, is only a guess. At one time the pool was known as New Forge Mill when it was being used as a spade mill. There's a house in Stonehouse Road called Spade Mill House. It didn't become part of the park until 1937 which I suppose is why the boathouse was built then.

Would this have been close to Oldmohawk’s image in post #1620 ? Or is it a reference to Baden Powell (and the Scouts jamboree held in the Park) ? Viv.

View attachment 174923
I remember seeing it when it was simply a cafe but it later became 'La Reserve' restaurant...
The cafe at Powells Pool in the process of construction in 1939. Viv.
index.php

x
Someone may remember this. Possibly around 1940s/50s (?).

Viv.
View attachment 174932
That picture reminds me of a day in the 1940s when my cousin and and I were told to go and play in Sutton park. She was 9 and I was 8 and we were given 2d each for the park entrance tickets and bus fares to journey on the 107 Midland Red bus from Perry Barr to Sutton. We spent all day roaming across the park including paddling in the stream shown in the picture. It was evening and getting dark when we got back to Perry Barr to a 'telling-off' for being late back.

Happy days ... :)

Last edited:
that rmeminds me of a school trip. we all had a paddle in a stream by the rd. some kid started screeming. the teacher went to see what was wrong and saw she had leeches on her. so off we all went to the first aid hut:worried:

Interesting natural history Pete. Much more woodland in the past. I only remember the parts I went to as open heath-type ground. I remember lots of marsh grass, so the area we went to must have been quite wet. The main wooded areas seem to be located in the more central parts closer towards Sutton Coldfield (Town).

Wonder when cattle grazing stopped in the park?

This 1926 aerial view from Streetly gives some sense of how vast the park is, seems to be very little wooded area on the west side.

Viv.

89C98BE2-F0A4-493E-96FD-9B36A137313C.jpeg

Last edited:
Cows returned to graze at a Sutton Coldfield beauty spot and were sporting some high-tech kit to track their moo-vements.
GPS collars have been fitted to the livestock in an effort to prevent them causing damage to a nearby golf course.
The cows made their annual return to Sutton Park on Wednesday (May 11) complete with the new kit which creates virtual fences to stop them wandering off in to the ‘rough’ at Sutton Coldfield Golf Club. so watch were you sit:grinning:
1668333204188.png

Great, and being nicely managed. Think another member posted photos of the ponies somewhere on this thread too. Good to see it being used in this way, supporting the park environment. Viv.

Great, and being nicely managed. Think another member posted photos of the ponies somewhere on this thread too. Good to see it being used in this way, supporting the park environment. Viv.
true viv. or else it will soon get unkempt. and prone to wildfires. a lot of the wildlife that was in the park have grown up now,and do go there anymore:grinning:

Not a very clear image but this is a nice example showing the woodlands in the 1880s. Hopefully it hasn’t changed too much since. It has many more features referenced too. The map itself has ‘Encampment’ labelled but it doesn’t make a point of listing it in its key of this Roman presence. So posting a much later map (from a book but sorry can’t reference or date it).

Viv

3CDC7331-2918-4210-AFC6-2F41F871A954.jpegEAD3A305-52D3-4C7D-BA2C-714A94FCC72B.jpeg

Last edited:
Where would we be without our parks and open spaces ? Sutton Park had (and hopefully still has) 2500 acres of open space according to this tantalising poster. Presumably the various gates were installed to capitalise on its attraction by making entrance charges. Viv.

553FA51C-5DD2-404C-AA02-332A063F658D.jpeg0C39BAB0-9AB5-4510-82D9-C8FE3B9CFEA5.jpeg

D7299309-E46D-44C7-8A39-6B41D8740B05.jpeg

Last edited:
well done thanks for pics viv. that is the gate i was trying to find, thats were the leaches were.

Attachments

• 1668350050122.png
    1668350050122.png
    654.8 KB · Views: 6
what ever next

The wild man of Sutton park.​

It is difficult to believe that a man could be living wild dressed in tree bark and leaves only 9 miles away from this country’s second largest city, however if the witness testimonies are to be believed this is in fact a reality.
Sutton Park which covers an area of 2,400 acres in the West Midlands is said to be the place where the mystery man has been seen and where over the last few months numerous sightings of him have been made. He has aquired the name Bark Foot as his feet have been seen wrapped in tree bark which have been made into a primitive form of foot wear, his hat also has been formed of what I presume to be made of Birch bark.
Patrick Sheehy told his cousin Oliver how he was jogging through the nature reserve one morning last May when he took a short cut through one of the Holly groves when he collided with a man cooking sausages in a frying pan over an open fire, dressed in his birch bark suit.
A local reporter discovered the remains of a makeshift shelter with a fireplace and frying pan. From April to June this den was covered with blue plastic sheeting, according to John Fowler whose dog took him to the site in November 2003, he went on to say that “It was quite well hidden, about 40yards off a path and covered with holly branches and bushes”, “Quite a few times you could see smoke coming out of the top”. It seems that Bark Foot is actually breaking the law by making the park his home as an old by law forbids anyone from taking up residence in the park.
Mrs L Smith met Bark Foot at about 6.30pm on the 25th of July when he emerged from Queens Coppice, a clump of trees on one of the hills in the park. He was covered with tree bark and leaves and his bark shoes were tied together using thin saplings. He was holding a charred frying pan which had a big hole in its middle. He asked her if she had any sausages, she said she hadn’t but offered him some fudge which he took before he disappeared into the undergrowth.
Peter Molesworth encountered the wild man as he walked his dog Zeberdee at 5.30 one morning in August. He described him as about 5ft 10in in height, 60 years old and very rough looking. He was wearing a cowboy style hat made from tree bark and a long one piece overcoat which looked as though it had been woven from leaves and reeds. He had as usual with him his trusty frying pan and around a dozen sausages and he offered Peters dog one, however Peter told him his dog had already eaten. The wild man went on to identify himself as Larchey, or Larry Larch and said that he had been living in a tree house that he had constructed somewhere in the park, he also went on to say that at some time in the past he had used to be a bottle opener designer from Hemel hempstead, a sort of poor mans suburban Crocodile Dundee!
It is not known whether the wild man is still alive as this item was taken from the Sutton Coldfield Observer which appeared on the 6th of August 2004, however the park is so vast that the possibility remains that he is still alive living on his fried sausages and avoiding the likes of you and me!

Last edited:
Bark Man /Bottle opener designer must be in his 80s if still alive. He’s doing well if he’s lived (albeit illegally) and survived the conditions in Sutton Park for a long time.

The military camp is interesting. Of course, many soldiers were put through training in the park at various times.p including WW1 recruits. The possibility of it being used by the US army in WW2 (suggested by Mike Hodder) is no surprise really as Great Barr (Pheasey) also had one and wasn’t that far away.

Viv.

There is some information earlier in the thread about military use of the park.
Regarding the military connections with the park, 'britainfromabove' took a photo of the Powells Pool area dated 1946. Two pics below. (click them to make larger)

The full view shows a military camp top right and other interesting things are a fire engine with pipes going into the pool, a large herd of cows, and people. I can remember seeing the camp but cannot remember whether it was for the Army or for POWs. I certainly saw POWs in the park nearer the Streetly side but they were in tents.
index.php

An enlarged view below of the camp showing personnel standing in line near the water tower. A fence along the road with a gateway top left.
index.php

Aston, Birmingham tried to get its water supply from Sutton Park in 1869 but were foiled by the folk of Sutton and eventually got the powers to get Brums Water From the Elan Valley in 1875……..So their might be more into this than meets the eye
All through the ages Sutton Park as been used by the Military for training, detailed accounts by the City Battalions in the park are in Terry Carters book Birmingham Pals which some wonderful photographs inside but I will skip that and go back the 1800’s when it was used by the Volunteers (the Predecessor of the Territorial Army) they used to muster at Bingley Hall over 700 of them and march all the way to the park marching down Snow Hill, Summer Lane, Aston, through Perry Barr and enter the park at the Chester Rd entrance led by the band all the way their they set up camp and practised manoeuvres and training drills
When the Great War Broke out the park was placed in the hands of the Government as training ground for the military and were used by the 14th, 15th 16th Battalions Royal Warwickshire Regiments ………
The Great War Tank and guns which stood at the Town Gate was sold as scrap for £40 in 1935
Then WW2 was looming barrage balloon sites were sent up at Whitehouse Common the first going up July 1939 and the people of Sutton took a great deal of children evacuees in from Birmingham and Coventry ……… A civil defence camp was built near Powell’s Pool and at nearby Longmoor Pool a Prisoner of War camp was built
Large parts of the woods in the park were chopped down (Westwood Coppice, Holly Hurst, Upper and Lower Nuthurst and the New Plantations) and used as needed, the keepers cottage was dismantled and used to make a Dutch barn at Darnel Hurst
The few bombs that were dropped at Sutton only a few landed in the park by Echo Hill just by Bracebridge Pool ……about a 100 bombs were dropped on Sutton ..70-80 on Warmley one in the garden of the Vicarage at Manley another just missing the railway bridge in Station Rd.
The 6th Warwickshire Home Guard (Sutton) did demonstration exercises in the park showing what they were capable of doing.
When the United States entered the war Sutton became even more crowded when they were billeted with the locals till a camp was built for them on the Streetley side at Penns Lane and at Minworth they also built an American Army European Post Office beside the Railway Station...

what ever next

he wild man of Sutton park.​

It is difficult to believe that a man could be living wild dressed in tree bark and leaves only 9 miles away from this country’s second largest city, however if the witness testimonies are to be believed this is in fact a reality.
Sutton Park which covers an area of 2,400 acres in the West Midlands is said to be the place where the mystery man has been seen and where over the last few months numerous sightings of him have been made. He has aquired the name Bark Foot as his feet have been seen wrapped in tree bark which have been made into a primitive form of foot wear, his hat also has been formed of what I presume to be made of Birch bark.
Patrick Sheehy told his cousin Oliver how he was jogging through the nature reserve one morning last May when he took a short cut through one of the Holly groves when he collided with a man cooking sausages in a frying pan over an open fire, dressed in his birch bark suit.
A local reporter discovered the remains of a makeshift shelter with a fireplace and frying pan. From April to June this den was covered with blue plastic sheeting, according to John Fowler whose dog took him to the site in November 2003, he went on to say that “It was quite well hidden, about 40yards off a path and covered with holly branches and bushes”, “Quite a few times you could see smoke coming out of the top”. It seems that Bark Foot is actually breaking the law by making the park his home as an old by law forbids anyone from taking up residence in the park.
Mrs L Smith met Bark Foot at about 6.30pm on the 25th of July when he emerged from Queens Coppice, a clump of trees on one of the hills in the park. He was covered with tree bark and leaves and his bark shoes were tied together using thin saplings. He was holding a charred frying pan which had a big hole in its middle. He asked her if she had any sausages, she said she hadn’t but offered him some fudge which he took before he disappeared into the undergrowth.
Peter Molesworth encountered the wild man as he walked his dog Zeberdee at 5.30 one morning in August. He described him as about 5ft 10in in height, 60 years old and very rough looking. He was wearing a cowboy style hat made from tree bark and a long one piece overcoat which looked as though it had been woven from leaves and reeds. He had as usual with him his trusty frying pan and around a dozen sausages and he offered Peters dog one, however Peter told him his dog had already eaten. The wild man went on to identify himself as Larchey, or Larry Larch and said that he had been living in a tree house that he had constructed somewhere in the park, he also went on to say that at some time in the past he had used to be a bottle opener designer from Hemel hempstead, a sort of poor mans suburban Crocodile Dundee!
It is not known whether the wild man is still alive as this item was taken from the Sutton Coldfield Observer which appeared on the 6th of August 2004, however the park is so vast that the possibility remains that he is still alive living on his fried sausages and avoiding the likes of you and me!
Sutton Park's own Green Man!

i think the wild man of sutton park was just wierd.:grinning:
The Green Man is believed to symbolise the cycle of life, death and re-birth. The symbol of Godhood within the male and its relationship with the transcendent life force our Goddess, the female expression of divinity. He is a Pagan symbol who heralds Spring after a long winter and the renewal of lush vegetation.

There are some very good walks organised in the park, some organised by the Park Rangers and Rob Pocock explaining about how the park is being managed and some by an archaeologist explaining the history of the park. I think they will have finished for this year by now but I'll look out for any coming up next year.

Back