• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Coldfield

iii.jpeg
The Three Tuns Hotel, Sutton High Street, no date I am sorry to say.

Here is a photo of yours truly taken with Moot Scouts from the Faroe Islands taken at the Jubilee Scout Jamboree in August 1957Jen Faroe Scouts.jpg

Thanks Jennyann. I also enjoyed the film - the good old 1950's. Interesting to see the Duke of Gloucester lighting up a cigarette during his meeting with people. The link below (probably been posted before) has some very interesting old photos.
https://www.sutton-coldfield.net/

View attachment 74575
The Three Tuns Hotel, Sutton High Street, no date I am sorry to say.

The Three Tuns is still going strong, still looks much like your photo, but greatly changed inside. Was a nice, quiet town-centre pub years ago, but now very up-market and noisy, and not for me. Well-known for the supposed haunting of its cellar by a Civil War drummer-boy, or so they say. Would guess your pic is just after the war, to judge by the Ford Pop chugging towards the pub.

Big Gee

img569.jpg
in 1887 Queeen Victoria's Golden Jubilee caused a big traffic problem for Sutton Coldfield.

img570.jpg
The Old Pie Shop stood on the corner of Manor Road, I do not know if this was the same manor Road that has a junction with Cliften Road.
This shop sold home made pies, tripe, chitterlings and other goodies and it used to have hams and sides of bacon hanging from the roof beams.

img576.jpgFour Oaks Hall.

This magnificent establishment was built sometime close to the end of the 17th century, designed by Sir William Wilson for Lord Ffolliot, an Irish Peer. This picture is after the building underwent some considerable alterations. It was finally demolished in 1898.

What a wonderful building so sad it's no longer there. I assume it was situated by the Park on what is now called the Four Oaks Estate.

I have no idea Wendy but it looked so majestic I just had to post it. It was in the envelope with the Sutton papers. If I come across anything else to do with it I will let you know.

I really could'nt say Rupert, we need one of the resident experts for this one, but I will look and see if I can find a bit more about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Little Aston Hall is still there and is now part of a private Hospital owned by Priory.Dek

Rupert, I have found a bit of a story about who owned it and when it was built which I will post if you want it, but to answer your question, Four Oaks Hall was demolished in 1898 and Carhampton House was built on the same site. You can get Carhampton house on Street View, well no, you can get the grounds and maybe a bit of the roof but it will give you the exact location. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMGP0444.jpg

I thought that Suttonians,ex-Suttonians and railway fans alike would appriciate this clipping.

Some lovely pictures and info thank you. Little Aston Hall is still there it is part of the Bupa Hospital I think it's a home for the elderly now it has been altered a lot though. This is quite close to the Little Aston Estate which was where I went to church as a child. I remember it was very grand building. The house that Stitcher posted would have been on what is now the Four Oaks Estate which runs between Sutton Park and Walsall Road it's situated opposite Four Oaks Station. The houses are very grand in this area. I had a friend who lived in Hartop Road which is near to Four Oaks gate of Sutton Park. These were my play areas as a child.

Keegs that is quite a sad photo I remember the steam trains going through Sutton Park.

Used to go there bowling, mostly on a Sunday for some reason. The number 28 bus used to drop us outside. We'd wait for friends sitting on a very high wall just to the left of the entrance. It was a big white building, with lots of flat white wallspace, quite a lot of it was featureless. And there was a lot of empty space around the building too. Sad to see the demolition photo. Viv

IMGP3111.jpgIMGP3110.jpgIMGP3109.jpg
Going through some old local clippings today I came across this terrible disaster from Jan 1955,that I had never heard about before.

Used to go there bowling, mostly on a Sunday for some reason. The number 28 bus used to drop us outside. We'd wait for friends sitting on a very high wall just to the left of the entrance. It was a big white building, with lots of flat white wallspace, quite a lot of it was featureless. And there was a lot of empty space around the building too. Sad to see the demolition photo. Viv
IMGP3320.jpg
There you go Viv.This was 1972.
Keegs.

Back