• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Coldfield

W

Wendy

I am hoping someone may have an old map of Sutton Coldfied. I am looking for Aragon House which was on Tudor Hill, this was just on the edge of Sutton Park by the town Gate. There is an Aragon Close there now. The reason I am looking for any info on this is I have just recieved a letter from a cousin in South Africa who tells me our Davies family lived here. The sons Trevor and Horace were sent to Bristol colledge Trevor ended up at Cambridge. Both sons served in WW1 Trevor was killed in action Horace survied. Arthur Davies dealt in bulk coal and apparently made a small fortune from his buisness the family had two live in maids and a chauffer, this is why his sons had a good education. He semi retired around 1910 and moved to Llandudno. I would appreciate any info as my relative is in his 80's and I have to communicate via snail mail!

Moma P I have a 1900 map of the area of Tudor Hill but not much info on it I am afraid but will post tomorrow

Cromwell thanks any info would be great! I think I will have to visit Sutton Library.

I have a few old books on Sutton from 1900 0nwards and can pinpoint the place you are after

Thanks for the link Rupert. I am hoping there is a map somewhere with the house on it. I would like to get an idea of its size.

Thanks Cromwell, I will copy the map and compare it with a modern one to get an idea of the location.

Tudor Hill

I have a map of Sutton and it shows houses on Tudor Hill.I will,when I learn how to do it put it on the site for you.

Moma P Map

Re the above map can anyone confirm its date as 1900? A number of houses in Tudor Road were built and in occupation by then (I live in one) but are not shown. In addition there were a couple on house on Upper Clifton Road and some on Tudor Hill, also not shown. On the other hand I am not sure Tudor Road was so named by 1900 - it is called New Road on the building documents. So, I suspect, on balance, that the map is older.

Welcome ornette, The map was posted by Cromwell because I am trying to find out where Aragon House Tudor Hill was around 1910. He did say the map was not very detailed and I don't think there are many houses on it. I have been to the area and there is an Aragon Close there so I presume this would be where the house was. I grew up in Sutton so I know the area fairly well. You are lucky to live there, I love the houses on Tudor Hill.

Thanks for the prompt reply. My guess is that the map is around 1880. There is an 1870 map which does not show Tudor Road, only a track. I take the point about the map not being very detailed but it does show the cottages on Park Road and the houses on Richmond Road which runs off Tudor Hill. So if it was 1900 it would show buildings in Tudor Road, as does the 1901 OS map.

Just had a look at the 1889 map and had a rethink. Must postdate that map, I think, as Tudor Road is not named there. So, between 1890 - 1899/1900.

Thanks for the prompt reply. My guess is that the map is around 1880. There is an 1870 map which does not show Tudor Road, only a track. I take the point about the map not being very detailed but it does show the cottages on Park Road and the houses on Richmond Road which runs off Tudor Hill. So if it was 1900 it would show buildings in Tudor Road, as does the 1901 OS map.

1920s Map of Clifton Road, Sutton Coldfield

On a similar theme, I am trying to locate a map that details the houses on Clifton Road, Sutton Coldfield around the 1920s? Can anyone help?

History

This is a tad of history about the park, sad as it may be i still think it should be noted as part of our history.
Does any-one remember the body in the lake, it was one of the well known Bakery son's, poor soul. can't remember which pool..Cat

Back