• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

hello members
any one remember the youth club in brearley st . it was called havegal house .in the earley sixties.

I think it was actually in Hatchett Street, off Summer Lane. It was more than a youth club, it was a Methodist Church. I think there was an original church next door which was bombed in the war. Havergal House was set up in 1888 by the Methodist church in Birmingham as a girls club. It was named after Frances Ridley Havergal who wrote many well known hymns in the nineteenth century.
I knew Havergal House as I was sent there to Sunday school and church as a teenager. My sister and her husband were members there for many years. He preached there regularly after he became a Methodist minister.
About ten years ago I was in Birmingham and took a photo of the building, which I think is probably still there. At the time I think it was a scout centre. Sadly, I have mislaid the photo which will be in my loft somewhere. There is a link to a photo below, however.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/silvis-rivers/6970526341/in/photostream/

Hi Astoness Did you mean your rellie lived in Cowper Street or Summer Lane
I don't know if the chemist shop's address was Cowper Street or Summer lane, I think the doorway was on the corner,
If it came in Summer Lane its number would be a 160 something, I remember it had two big coloured glass bottles in the window.

Pam

hi pamela all i have from the e rolls is she lived at no 14 summer lane and i think it was mikejee who found out for me that it was a chemists shop...she wouldnt have owned the shop but rented out a room maybe...i will do some more checking and get back on this one..

lyn

Lyn
14 summer Lane is shown in red below,

map_c_1913__summer_lane_showing_no_14.jpg

Morning Lyn,It may have been one of these shops as i remember there being a chemist there as late as the 1960s.moss

Attachments

• Summer Lane .Hockley.by Snow Hill.jpg
    Summer Lane .Hockley.by Snow Hill.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 96
morning moss yes ive studied that pic..would love to prove one of those shops was a chemists in 1954 but ive got a feeling looking at mikes map that it was a tad further up...will see if kellys can help as it looks like the numbering went up in ones with odds and evens on the same side

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,I think the chemist was where the newsagent is on the picture.I think at the time the picture was taken, the whole of the block where the Salutation stood and up to Clive Passage had been demolished.
If you look at the map Mike posted your chemist is 2 doors left of the entry,as is the shop in the picture.Off the top of my head i think the chemist was called Bishop in the 60s.moss

moss and mike thank you...this is great news for me as i now have a pic of where a rellie of mine lived on the lane..like i said earlier she would not have owned the chemist but rented a room there... but what is even better is i used to use that paper shop up to 1998 when i lived in newtown and walked that way into the city centre...think they were demolished around 2005/6..brilliant

lyn

hello pam

my dad knew your dad. when they drank in the geach pub. pam did you know my sisters. sally , cathy, carrol,

billy regan

According to Business Electoral Rolls up to 1947 there was a Sidney J Bishop at 14 Summer Lane,William E Jones at 13 Summer Lane, and a George B Vigurs at 19 Summer Lane.
The chemist where the Twist family lived above (mentioned earlier in this thread) was 165 Summer Lane.

hello pam

next door to your grandmothers shop lived a family called arnolds. albert and else bobby . jimmy. brenda patty. my dad knew albert from drinking in the geach pub/ do you remember the paper shop next door to the arnolds and the shop vicks . i think it was next door to the paper shop. down from the chemist was the sweet shop. i remember a fish shop come cafe . just down from the sweet shop.. happy days pam ... billy regan

Was interested about the house numbers at this end of summer lane. My mother lived at number 26.5 Summer Lane, anyone have any ideas why there would be a half number on the house.?

Perhaps half of the property was owned/used by someone else as a business?
There appears to be quite a few "half" numbers on Summer Lane.
In 1930/1931 for example, there is Thomas and Lily Hanks,John Day, and Alfred and Maria Deatheridge all listed at 26 and a half Summer Lane, though the Deatheridges do have an abode listed elsewhere,so they probably ran a business from there?
There does not appear to be a 26 though!

thanks lynne for the extra info confirming what moss said saying he thought the chemists at no 14 was run by the bishops..what a good memory you have moss...that name deatheridge rings bells with me..

lyn

John
At first I thought that it meant no 5 back of no 26, but this would not fit in. I assume that in fact it is listed as 26½. It is so described in the electoral rolls of 1920, though 26 is not listed, probably because it is purely used for business and does not have anyone living there. In fact the directory of 1873 lists a 26 and a 26½. I assume that after the numbers were first alocated, a plot of land was made to hold two businesses. thsi was not uncommon, I am not 100% certain which is 26½, but it is one of the two in red on the map below, and I think most probably the lower one

map_c_1913_summer_lane_showing_possible_no_26.jpg

Hi Billy Regan
I only knew Summer Lane for visiting my grandmother some saturdays in the 40's till the early 60's so I didn't know any anyone who lived there.On the left of the shop was an entry up to some houses,I seem to remember a paper shop a little further down, on the right of the shop was a ladies/childrens clothes shop then I think some houses before the butchers and the sweet shop then the chemist on the corner of Cowper Street
My father was Harry(Henry) he left the Lane when he got married in 1940, Uncle Albert left about a year later, Uncle Charlie was the bike repair and spares man auntie Florence also lived there.My grandfather died end of 1946 granny U Charlie and A Flo kept the shop on until the slum clearence. I know we are related to AJ Deathridge's retail fruit and veg in the town

Thanks Viv,Isn't it amazing that i can remember things from 50 years ago,yet the missus has to remind me of what i said yesterday.moss

Thanks Mikejee for the help on 26 and half Summer lane my mom was born there in 1922 and lived there until about 1935.
John

hi gaz..posting the map again and the list of pubs to say which one was where..all i have to do is find all the pics i had of them...i had them all in a tin all taken in the 1960s but i cant find them...will have a good hunt around tomorrow...

1...SALUTATION..SUMMER LANE/SNOW HILL
2..THE WOOLPACK..SUMMER LANE/HENRIETTA ST
3..ROYAL GEORGE..SUMMER LANE/WILLIAM ST NORTH..
4...THE BULLS HEAD..SUMMEER LANE/NEW SUMMER ST..
5..THE BARREL..SUMMER LANE/TOWER ST..
6..THE STAG..SUMMER LANE/BREARLEY ST..
7..THE BRITTANIA INN..SUMMER LANE/NEW JOHN ST WEST...
8...THE VINE..SUMMER LANE..
9..THE RED LION..SUMMER LANE/BRIDGE ST WEST..DEMOLISHED 1920s NO PIC HAS YET BEEN FOUND
10..CROSS GUNS..SUMMER LANE/FRANKFORT ST..
11..GREEN MAN..SUMMER LANE/MOORSOM ST..
12..BIRMINGHAM ARMS..SUMMER LANE/FARM ST..
13..THREE HORSESHOES..SUMMER LANE/COWPER ST..
14..THE GEACH ARMS..SUMMER LANE/GEACH ST..
15..THE WOODMAN..SUMMER LANE/ASYLUM ROAD..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn, would you know the name of the pub(11) on your map,
many thanks,
Gary Troman

hi gaz..if you go to the pubs section on the forum ive just finished reposting all the pics of the pubs down the lane...enjoy...

lyn

Glad you found the pics Lyn, that would have been an easy pub crawl with so many so close together lol
Sue

sue it was thanks to dave ed who had saved them all from the first time of posting he very kindly emailed them to me...panic was setting in as i thought i would never see them again lol...still can get over just how many pubs were down summer lane..dont think i would have got past pub 6 before slumping in a heap lol..

lyn

sue it was thanks to dave ed who had saved them all from the first time of posting he very kindly emailed them to me...panic was setting in as i thought i would never see them again lol...still can get over just how many pubs were down summer lane..dont think i would have got past pub 6 before slumping in a heap lol..

lyn

Now now Lyn., don't be so modest!

Back