• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

I remember the 5 and 7A that went to Portland Road they went along Summer Lane with the 33 going along Newtown Row

I bet you used to get your chips from Allen's and your dads paper from Hughes's.Moss

Attachments

• Summer Lane.Hockley.Allens fish shop&Hughes newsagents-1.jpg
    Summer Lane.Hockley.Allens fish shop&Hughes newsagents-1.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 86
Thanks, It was in between the Post Office and the Police Station then. I can remember a few shops on the opposite side of the road ie a sweet shop on the corner of New John St West and the pie shop on the opposite corner(their meat pies were yummy) and Baines who sold fishing tackle etc, and Summer Lane School opposite, where I spent 4 good years from 1950 to 1954, Great memories. Dave.

Colin Baines was my mate. Thats where they charged the old radio accumulators and sold maggots and fishing tackle

Yes, I think his dads name was George, he always had a lighted cigarette behind his ear when he was serving. He later opened a shop up by Lucas's, possibly Gt King St.

View attachment 64824, View attachment 64823hi guys, looking at the pictures of summer lane i noticed a picture of the bull pub, my family lived by the bull and i wondered if anyone could pick out this pub?, it is a mitchells and butlers pub and with the white render could it be the bull? could anyone recognise some of the men in the picture? the second from the right is my dad jack lewin, who was a barrow boy, next to him third from right is harry dossiter, i would like to put a name to the faces.
I'd love to see this photo. Harry Dossiter was my dads uncle.

There is a notice towards the top of the opening page identifying that our photos were lost when the site was Hacked into a few years back. Many photos have been added since that date including replacing many that were lost. If the member who posted it is still a member of the site they may replace it were you to send them a message asking them to do so. If they are no longer with us then it is unlikely that the photo can be replaced.

Can you say where the above post was found please as it may help.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi padgo,
only just noticed your post re. summer lane where you remembered several shops nearby.I used to live at the pie-shop,as my dad was the owner of the business.Baines the fishing tackle man was next door,he also used to charge up the accumalators used to power the early radios.I lived there in the years you mention,I left in either 1959 or 1960,can't remember exactly which year.I also remember the britannia inn,run by tommy hatton,and his son's,I think there were two of them,although there may have been three.I wonder where they are now?......................Mal

My Mom was a barmaid at the Brit..remember the name Tommy Hatton.. my pal Colin Baines lived at the fishing tackle shop and had a huge Alsation dog that regularly chased me down the entry

Hi Goalzone,
I remember going into Colin Baine's back yard and seeing the huge bowls of maggots.They used to sell them by the pint glassful in the shop.I don't think they would allow a maggot breeding shop next door to a baker's shop nowadays !..............Mal.

Hello Mal. I'm getting old and the memory aint so good, but am I right in thinking all the pies were made at the shop? Also I remember a plumbers shop opposite and a second hand furniture shop on the corner of Hatchett St. Did you go to Summer Lane School? Ill bet you knew Gordon Wallace who lived opposite you in New John St,(hope I've got the name right).
Dave.

On 18 August 1934 Dora Anne Rorison died at 217 Summer Lane, her husband Alexander McIntyre Rorison (a Scot) was a Licensed Victualler, presumably the Landlord of the Geach Arms. Any knowledge of this event anyone (a long time ago I know).

Hi padgo,
yes, you're quite right,everything that was sold in the shop.apart from bread,was made fresh daily at the shop.Apart from the meat pies,he also made and sold fruit pies,apple pies both large and small,jam tarts ,fruit teacakes and rock cakes.If anything was left from the day before,he would sell it at half-price,and funny enough people used to ask for 'yesterday's cakes'.It used to be my 'pocket money' job to clean and grease (with lard) all the pie trays and cake dishes,a horrible job.I can't remember who's bread it was we sold,but I remember the delivery man has bottle top spectacles,and drove an electric delivery van.I also remember the midland counties milkman,and his horse and cart.I remember the plumbers shop,and the second hand shop,and I seem to recall there was a greengrocers along there as well.I don't remember the name you mentioned,and I'm afraid I was a bit of a swot,and went to Handsworth Grammar School,in Grove Lane.Next to Allens the chip shop was Hughes newsagent,and opposite was the vine (pub),the co-op,and I think there was a funeral directors,these were all between John st west and Theodore street..........I try and remember some more,keep in touch with more memories,it's great to find some mutual rememberances..................Mal

Hello Mal, I got the name wrong, it was Gordon Williams not Wallace, and i'm pretty sure he lived in the first house down from the corner shop which I think sold sweets. Back in 1952 I had an evening paper round which took in Brearley St, Hospital St and New John St West, but, on the opposite side of the road to your shop. My pal Phillip Lloyd did Hatchett St, Newtown Row and your side of New John St. We were also in St Georges cubs and scouts which met at the old rectory, which was about 100yds above the Post Office, and right opposite was a general shop. One other thing I remember was the pikelet man with his wheelbarrow, who used to come up Lower Tower St every Sunday afternoon, I think he sold other things but I couldn't tell you what. Oh well, that's the brain worn out for now, will be in touch.----------Dave.

I would guess that the road off to the left is Attenborough Close and the immediate right is Bridge St West. 50s/60s although you would not think so.

I was just looking on GE and the Summer Lane Street frontage of the court where I was born is now a Marshal Arts Emporium. I don't think the terminology was around back then. It all looks so scruffy...always was I suppose, but there was a human content. People lived there and probably had plans not to. Now it seems to be a dead street/lane. somewhat derelict once more...Things improve though when you get to the top end.

Hi Rupert,
you're nearly correct with your answer,although the road to the right is Theodore Street.The road to the left is Bridge Street West.I used to live not 300 yards from there,to the left,just out of picture,would be Hughes Newsagents,and the famous 'chippy'.........................Mal.

topsy i dont think ive seen that pic before...so if the road to left is as said bridge st west then we can at least date that pic to pre 1939 which was when the police station was built on that corner...previous to that the ground was occupied by the red lion pub which was demolished sometime in the 1920s and to date i have not managed to find a pic of it but always on the lookout...

lyn

Last edited:
You could be right Astoness but I thought that the bus looked a bit later than that. The later date would have given the area time to have developed even more decrepitude since from what I recall little if anything was done in upkeep.

You could be right Astoness but I thought that the bus looked a bit later than that. The later date would have given the area time to have developed even more decrepitude since from what I recall little if anything was done in upkeep.

hi rupert i cant see the bus very well but looking at the lady with the pram i also thought that the photo was taken later..maybe in the 50s in which case that cant be bridge st west on the left corner as where is the police station that was built in 1939...as always though i stand to be corrected by more knowlegeable members who knew that stretch of summer lane...having said all that and looking at an old map if that is theodore st on the right and it looks to be in the right positon and taking into account that there is waste land on the corner of what would be bridge st west (which is where the red lion pub would have stood demolished in the 20s) so maybe the photo is pre 1939 after all..im not very good at dating photos..

lyn

Last edited:
That picture is without doubt a photograph of the roads I previously stated.It is not pre '39,I would say it was mid to late '50's.The reason the police station cannot be seen is because it is set back from the lane by about 20 yards.It is therefore hidden by the row of houses to the left of the picture.If you pass the police station,to this day it is still set back from Summer Lane...................Mal.

The reason I believe the photograph was taken in the '50's is because of the bus.It appears to be,judging by it's livery,a bus owned by Midland Red.It is a rear entrance bus,as far as I recall,all pre-war Midland Red double-deckers were FEDD's (front entrance double deckers).Not 100% sure on that,but I think I'm correct..................Mal.

Back