• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summer Lane Pubs

My Brother-in-Law used to run a pub on Summer Lane called The Bull. His name was Bill Underhill does anyone remember him. ?? He was my Sisters husband.
Have a nice day, Wally

Yes it was the man of war for about two years and because it started to bring trouble and got wrecked inside
And got totally carpets was destroyed with skirmishing of youths as the new estate was being built
Whom was trashing the place by under age drinkers and etc they closed it down for a good while
After a long period of closure they found a tougher man agent to run it as it started to become a chequered history pub
Certain pubs required certain tough management to run certain pubs
When it was refurbished it was renamed the rising sun I used it and I lived just up around on the corner next to the union pub
And I lived four doors from the ex act pub I used to drink in there as well as the one next to it
My friend and drinking partner at the time was a guy named ray we used to drink it he lived right on the corner
Of wheelers street next to the cafe my friend is the son of the one time Ladywood social club chairman is name was ray as well
He was the union man for the busses if anybody remembers him and he got the OBE before He died
My friend ray still goes there at the Ladywood

hello alan if i am reading your last post correctly you are saying that the bull pub on summer lane was renamed the man of war and then the rising sun.. the bull pub on summer lane was never called the man of war or the rising sun ....the man of war was built in the late 60s and was on wheeler st..my mom worked there in the 1970s

lyn

Last edited:
Yes Lynn
That is very true indeed it was wheeler street and i lived just around the corner
In Berner street three doors from the pub and when they first started to build that estate
The first time the pub was built it was called the rising sun
How on earth have i put summer lane ,the only explantion i can think of
When i done that thread many moons ago i must been thinking of some think else
Regarding the old summer lane and my mate lived just up from the pub
Facing what is the front of that school and right next to the cafe and the bus stop just out side his front door
But sadly whilst we was out the his house caught on fire
And when they was building that estate there was a little parade of shops they built
Just before the pub and i was gonna open a chip shop in there but some one got in just before me
My mate ray whom father ran the ladywood social club
Before he died he got an OBE, which his plaque is still above the club door

May be because i type on a tablet which is printing things that should not be
I just bang away on here i never read back what as actualy printed

But yes it is wheeler street and that should have come through not summer lane

I know the pub was named the rising sun when they first built it on wheeler street

Best wishes Alan,,,Astonian,,,,,

thats ok alan ...just like to get the facts correct for the sake of history and for those reading this thread...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
just to update on the stags head....this pub has now been completely gutted and will not be re opening up as a pub:(...this now leaves us with only the barrel still pulling pints

lyn

Pedrocut kindly sent me the attached cutting and it mentions a Saracen's Head in Summer Lane. I haven't been able to find a pub of this name - does anyone know of it please? The cutting refers to the 1860's

Attachments

• Boxing 1860's.jpg
    Boxing 1860's.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 11
yes eric had meet there in 2010

bazz the last landlords did not make a go of the stag..bought by developers a couple of years back..as i said its now totally gutted upstairs and down..no way to treat an 1830s building in my opinion

lyn

Hi Lyn, I think that's Summer Road not Lane but will have to check. There's a pub on the left going up to Six Ways I don't remember it having that name. Seem to recall The New Inns? I wonder if it was one my Dad missed? Never!

(Sometimes these articles are incorrect as another one mentions the Apollo Gardens by the Asylum but Apollo Gardens were in Digbeth so it's anyone's guess).

pen i think it was originally called summer lane then became summer road..i have posted the link to the thread on post 161

Thanks Lyn, I've had a look at the link. Mike reckons that Summer Lane was the bit by Marsh Lane but I don't recall a pub although our 'little red bus' didn't go down the 'lane bit' as it went up Gravelly Lane. Lots of mysteries aren't there?

hi pen this is why i love history dont forget that snippet was written in 1860 so if the saracens was there it could have long gone...plenty of mysteries to solve..keeps us out of trouble..well almost :D

lyn

The Saracens Head is in summer Lane in Birmingham Centre. Mr Clulee (as spelt in the advert) moved to the Cross Aston Road in 1865, as seen below. Worked out from various landlords, (seem to have changed hands a bit and had a number of prosecutions for Sunday trading, selling outside hours etc) that the Saracens Head was at no 16, which is marked in red on the map below, opposite junction with Hospital St.

birm gaz. 27.12.1865.jpg map c 1889 sjowing 16 summer lane, The Saracens Heasd.jpg

Thanks Mike, so is that near to where that block of shops was (is?) that we'e seen on the forum before? They hung on for a long time. So, close to the Salutation?

Here is a map over a larger area. The road you could see was summer Lane Wharf. Lyn. It was cse to the cottages I think you were talking about Lady P, which were 12,13,14.

map c 1889 showing Sfacens Head , no 16 summer lane.jpg

Saw three pubs on Summer Lane and only one was still in use as a pub.

The Stags Head, on the corner with Brearley Street - now closed down.

The Barrel Bar & Grill, on the corner with Tower Street - this is the one that looks like it's still in use.

This one on the corner with William Street North is now the Snowhill Education Centre.

yes ell the stag completely gutted from top to bottom inside...will never be a pub again...the barrel is doing well from what i have been told so from the 15 pubs that were on the lane in the 1960s this is now the only one pulling pints...very sad..

From old posts on here, seems like The Stags Head was still open 8 or 9 years ago.

On Google street maps view it was still open in 2012 (new management from 2011 by the looks of it). But seems to have closed by 2014 (terracotta stripped off and just painted white).

ell the stag was open a couple of years back but i am afraid the new owners did no good with it...we also had a wonderful forum meet up there in 2010. shortly after that the then owner who had been there for many years gave it up and since then has been at the unity club in new summer street

lyn

ell i posted some time ago that it has already been taken over by developers...work is ongoing...it would be too small for a wetherspoons.

lyn

yes eric had meet there in 2010

bazz the last landlords did not make a go of the stag..bought by developers a couple of years back..as i said its now totally gutted upstairs and down..no way to treat an 1830s building in my opinion

lyn
Thanks for your reply Lyn. Terrible loss of a great old brummie pub.

Saw three pubs on Summer Lane and only one was still in use as a pub.

The Stags Head, on the corner with Brearley Street - now closed down.

The Barrel Bar & Grill, on the corner with Tower Street - this is the one that looks like it's still in use.

This one on the corner with William Street North is now the Snowhill Education Centre.

Thanks for the pics of The Stags Head ellbrown. Looks a lot different from when i got to the meet there in 2010.

totally agree with you bazz...most upset about this pub closing so now we just have one open on the lane...

Back