• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summer Lane Pubs

totally agree with you bazz...most upset about this pub closing so now we just have one open on the lane...
That's really bad Lyn. Still remember my day there, and i still listen to the cd you gave me. Have a good day Lyn.

and you bazz... glad you are still enjoying the cd..i have posted our easter meet up on the forum now...be great if you could get down from bonny scotland to be there...:):)

lyn

what ever happenend to the old blue lamp pub oppersite the summer lane polce station
i surpose its long gone now then;

hi alan the pub was called the lamplighter and was a 60s pub...the building is still there but it is now a religious meeting place

lyn

Hi LYNN
Many thanks for your speedy reply and it nice to know the building is still there standing even though
its use as change, and its nice to know it aint a take away place like most pubs have become
and i hope you are keeping well best wishes Alan,,,,,

Can anyone remember if the Gun Barrels in Summer Lane was a Davenports pub and was it there in the sixties. Also can anyone tell me of any other Davenports pubs in Summer Lane in the sixties ?

hi sandra to my knoweledge there was not a pub on the lane called the gun barrels(what year would it have been there?) ...there was and still is the barrel which in the 60s was an ansells pub and there was one called the cross guns...there are photos on this thread of all the pubs that were still on the lane during the 1960s which may show which breweries ran them...hope this helps

lyn

Last edited:
hi sandra to my knoweledge there was not a pub on the lane called the gun barrels(what year would it have been there?) ...there was and still is the barrel which in the 60s was an ansells pub and there was one called the cross guns...there are photos on this thread of all the pubs that were still on the lane during the 1960s which may show which breweries ran them...hope this helps

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I think it was the Cross Guns, do you know if it was still there in 1965/66 at all, looked at the picture again of the Cross Guns and it looks like the start of Davenports name on it, thank you

sorry for delay sandra i missed your post..yes i thought it was the start of the word davenports as well..all the photos i have posted are of pubs that were still on the lane in the 60s possibly even the early 70s for some of them

lyn

there was a Davenports pub built on amongest the new house they by built an it was late sixty or the early mid seventys
and it was a cracking beer house as well that i do know and i will ring our kid tonight to get the ecact spot because we lived on victoria road
and he lived in on the bartons new housing and my thrre brothers and myself used it
best wishes Astonian,,

hi there i have just rang our kid and it was late sixty too early mid seventy three they built that cracking pub
it was one of there very first pub they built in year Davenports built it
It was in the Alma way which was more or less running concurrent with the old summer lane
because if you recall the togetherness the alma street and summer lane lane more or less ran parralle
so know i can see why you thought it was summer lane
And as i said my brothers and myself used to drink in there and one of my brothers used to praise the gaffer for the beatiful
larger he was producing he told him it was like drinking cordial
best wishes Astonian,,,

thanks alan but sandas interest is in the cross guns that was on the corner of frankfort st and summer lane..

lyn

CROSS GUNS SUMMER LANE 1961 A5N4.jpg

well here ado lynn
Yes summer lane yes it was on summer lane which ran directly with the junction of old Alma street
summer lane came right up to the junction which was summer lane continuing around the bend of Alma street
but it was still classed as summer lane annd on that junction there was a pub called the Alma Taveren
which was in those days classed as summer lane , thats where it comes in the change over
and the gaffer the licence was a mr george crompton he was the gaffee for many many years on summer lane at that
particular pub , the Alma Taveren
when the demolition came in for the whole area of that part of summer lane and alma street
they demolitioned the Alma Taveren and davenports rebuilt there new pub on the very old grounds
called the cross gunns on the grounds of the old Alma Tavern where that was there for years
and when they rebuilt the cross gunns they named the section of old summer lane as Alma Way
and thats where it stood and mr george crompton moved up and took charge of the new pub called the
cross gunns for afew years and thats where he retired and when retired he never moved far from the pub
he moved across the road on six ways into a house on Bartons bank
And he was often known to the locals that the only best pub in Aston was across the way
meaning across the road at the new davenports pub simply because the old pub
before the cross gunns was known as the Alma Taveren ,and when our kid used to say to him
about the goodness of his beers , is reply and he ooften spoke about it
because the cellar flloor is all limed and it keeps the beer cold
they built a small little road up through the estate on the bend of summer lane and what little was left of
old Alma street up behind those two or three blocks of flats oppersite the white elephnt car park
of new town shopping centre and i lived on the top floor of inkerman house when it was first built
and our kid by george crompton on the houseing estate and our kid was one of the first to move on there
on the front facing the main six ways its self our mom was at victoria road around the corner
here is a picture of the new cross gunns as it was , best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,
----------------

Attachments

• IMG-20170413-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170413-WA0000.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 18
hi folks...well at last i have had the time to repost the pics of all the pubs that were on the lane:):)the red lion that was on the corner of bridge st west and summer lane was demolished in the early 1920s and so far a pic of this pub has never been found...the police station now stands on the ground where it was...

there only only 3 of these pubs still standing...the royal george..the barrel and the stags head.....the george and the barrel have been close for a few years now with no sign of them reopening.....this leaves the stags head which is the only pub down summer lane still pulling pints...

first the map pinpointing where the pubs were situated...

Hi Lyn
As this thread came up again, I thought I would post a link to a map I made a few years ago. I drew this on an archaic piece of software and I can remember it took me forever. I'd almost forgot about it so time to wheel it out. This does not include three pubs at the bottom of the thoroughfare, including the Royal Exchange.
https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/summer-lane/index.html#Map
Cheers, Kieron

I had a race up Summer Lane in October 2014 - very loose link to a post I wrote for FB at the time ......

Attention all motorists. Today, for no particular reason I decided to do an urban ride so pointed the bicycle in the direction of Birmingham. Despite having to climb Mucklow Hill and the rise up to Warley Bowl, I pottered along at a comfortable pace and averaged 16mph to the Iron Man in Victoria Square. I imagine that motorists doing their daily commute would struggle to achieve double figures on their average time. So, why not leave the car at home and get around quicker on two wheels! I was rolling down Newhall Street when the No.51 bus to Walsall cut me up. I was annoyed but rather than shout at the driver I thought “I know, I’ll race him to Walsall.” Not an easy task on a Sunday as it was quiet and the driver didn’t have to stop too many times to pick up or drop off passengers. I got past him on Lionel Street and kept him at bay along Summer Lane. No time to stop and look at the Barton’s Arms, I was on a mission to get through the road junction – I got some vital time on the bus as it is much quicker to manoeuvre a bike than a bus. And then we’re off up the Walsall Road, mostly bus and cycle lane to give me a fighting chance. I managed to get some time on the bus through Six Ways so I assume he got caught up in a narrow lane or maybe the lights held him up. However, I laboured up Tower Hill and, whilst chugging along he came flying past at around 40mph. Damn. I needed him to get a red light at the Scott Arms junction and, lo-and-behold, he was waiting in line as I rolled to the front of the queue. I was puffing and panting and it’s uphill to the M6 roundabout so he had me again but he had to go around the roundabout as I hauled myself up and over the flyover. The scene was hilarious as we raced each other for position on the bus lane where the two roads meet again. He just got in front of me and I had to dig in a bit to retain any hope of catching him – I was running out of road. The bus had to slow for the speed cameras so I buried myself as I pulled out onto the dual carriageway to edge ahead. I’d like to think I could hear him shout “the sneaky git.” I got through the lights at The Bell ahead, but only just. Only a slight uphill section before the gradient went in my favour down to the Travelodge. Unfortunately, the slope up to the Five Ways helped the bus recover my gap and we’re neck-and-neck into the town. By now, the driver is desperate to get to the bus station ahead of me. I was rather hoping that the passengers were rooting for the cyclist. I just squeezed up the right-hand side in a tight manoeuvre along Bridge Street and beamed as I rolled through the bus station. It was a good scrap and a close shave but victory was mine!

thanks kieron i will take a look at the map later on..funnily enough i was looking at a photo of the royal exchange earlier on

lyn

kieron ive just had a look at your map on your site...good god its a wonder anyone ever got home:eek:...i dont think i have ever seen so many pubs in one location and as you said there are 3 not marked..great map..could i post it on this thread please

lyn

amazing map thanks kieron...will count them again but i think i makes that 23 watering holes marked out..oh didnt the salutation come under summer lane

lyn

amazing map thanks kieron...will count them again but i think i makes that 23 watering holes marked out..oh didnt the salutation come under summer lane

lyn
It had a listed address in both Summer Lane and Snow Hill but, to be honest, most seem to associate it with Snow Hill.
But as a cop-out, I am going to include details of the pub in both thoroughfares!
Cheers, Kieron

so you have not got the new pub of davenports which was built after the alma street was changed
on the back of the old six ways
davenports pub was the cross guns, after summer lane was altered and changed
and it was the daven ports new pub called the cross gunns that was discussed at the top end of the old summer lane
and at the junction of old alma street there was a block of flats built across the road from the newtown comunity centre
there was two or three built as you come from the city on old summer row passing the summer lane police station
coming back to the high street aston you would have come up pasing crocodile works
with old Alma street taking the bend there you have your first high rise fats newly built and there was a litle road or walk way up and through into the new council estate that bend was part of the old summer lane before the new roads was built from six ways and the underpasses but when they built that new estate they changed that section to Alma way
thats where your problem layed you had only done the sttrait old mapping of summer lane
you never changed with the times and thats what you are missing out
the cross guns was demoed years a and they rebuilt it on that estate george crompton was the licence for years there and transfered to Alma way it seems to me our lynn as moved the goal post because it was mentioniod and asked about the daven ports pub
being built or not and the person was asking about thename of it and was it still there
well my friend i can tell you there is plenty of people out there whom used it daily and nightly and can confirm the pub and its gaffer
Astonian,,,,,

so you have not got the new pub of davenports which was built after the alma street was changed
on the back of the old six ways
davenports pub was the cross guns, after summer lane was altered and changed
and it was the daven ports new pub called the cross gunns that was discussed at the top end of the old summer lane
and at the junction of old alma street there was a block of flats built across the road from the newtown comunity centre
there was two or three built as you come from the city on old summer row passing the summer lane police station
coming back to the high street aston you would have come up pasing crocodile works
with old Alma street taking the bend there you have your first high rise fats newly built and there was a litle road or walk way up and through into the new council estate that bend was part of the old summer lane before the new roads was built from six ways and the underpasses but when they built that new estate they changed that section to Alma way
thats where your problem layed you had only done the sttrait old mapping of summer lane
you never changed with the times and thats what you are missing out
the cross guns was demoed years a and they rebuilt it on that estate george crompton was the licence for years there and transfered to Alma way it seems to me our lynn as moved the goal post because it was mentioniod and asked about the daven ports pub
being built or not and the person was asking about thename of it and was it still there
well my friend i can tell you there is plenty of people out there whom used it daily and nightly and can confirm the pub and its gaffer
Astonian,,,,,
Although the old Cross Guns was in Summer Lane, the Cross Guns to which you refer was on a piece of land enclosed by Alma Street, Rodway Close and Gordon Avenue which means it cannot be placed within Summer Lane.
Cheers Kieron

Although the old Cross Guns was in Summer Lane, the Cross Guns to which you refer was on a piece of land enclosed by Alma Street, Rodway Close and Gordon Avenue which means it cannot be placed within Summer Lane.
Cheers Kieron
Just checked my records from the law courts in Birmingham and the 'new' Cross Guns was officially listed under Rodway Close. By the way, the licence was revoked in 1995.

must say max i didnt know that there was an original lamplighter...no pics of it has turned up as yet anyhow....i drank in the lamp quite a few times myself..used to go in there with my mate georgina who worked at c brandeaurs...i have heard a tale of women peeling the sunday veges in the pub while having a drink lol

lyn
The licence for the Lamplighter came from the Burton Stores on Parade so surely is a new-build?

well here ado lynn
Yes summer lane yes it was on summer lane which ran directly with the junction of old Alma street
summer lane came right up to the junction which was summer lane continuing around the bend of Alma street
but it was still classed as summer lane annd on that junction there was a pub called the Alma Taveren
which was in those days classed as summer lane , thats where it comes in the change over
and the gaffer the licence was a mr george crompton he was the gaffee for many many years on summer lane at that
particular pub , the Alma Taveren
when the demolition came in for the whole area of that part of summer lane and alma street
they demolitioned the Alma Taveren and davenports rebuilt there new pub on the very old grounds
called the cross gunns on the grounds of the old Alma Tavern where that was there for years
and when they rebuilt the cross gunns they named the section of old summer lane as Alma Way
and thats where it stood and mr george crompton moved up and took charge of the new pub called the
cross gunns for afew years and thats where he retired and when retired he never moved far from the pub
he moved across the road on six ways into a house on Bartons bank
And he was often known to the locals that the only best pub in Aston was across the way
meaning across the road at the new davenports pub simply because the old pub
before the cross gunns was known as the Alma Taveren ,and when our kid used to say to him
about the goodness of his beers , is reply and he ooften spoke about it
because the cellar flloor is all limed and it keeps the beer cold
they built a small little road up through the estate on the bend of summer lane and what little was left of
old Alma street up behind those two or three blocks of flats oppersite the white elephnt car park
of new town shopping centre and i lived on the top floor of inkerman house when it was first built
and our kid by george crompton on the houseing estate and our kid was one of the first to move on there
on the front facing the main six ways its self our mom was at victoria road around the corner
here is a picture of the new cross gunns as it was , best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,
----------------
George Crompton was the licensee of the Alma Tavern between July 1956 and November 1958. It was a M&B house.
Cheers, Kieron

yes i said and stated this last night that it was the alpha taveren that george ran and moved to daven ports cross guns
new built they asked him to take it on as i have already stated this as in alma way which was at the top end of summer lane but was changed owing to the new road works and george left and lived across the way on the other side of of six ways which was bartons bank
and he always maintained the the daven ports pub was the best because of its cellar flooring was a limed base this thread reminds me of an old thread that was on afew years back now this was discused and veryifyed by past members whom have left for reasons
also years back a pub called the widdows arms lichfield road when a certain member said it never excisted but proven later by older members of Aston i stated it was called it way back as a kid next door to the pub as sat almost seven days aweek
on the steps and lived up the terrace next to the pub and ythe neibour took it on oh well
not to worry my friend best wishes as always Astonian,,,

Re: summer lane pub

no 13 on the map...the three horseshoes..summer lane/cowper st
My dad ,every one called him H used to play piano there on weekends they would pass a pint glass around and people would put penny's in , and in the morning there would be a little pile of penny's for each of us kids on the mantel .That was the only money we got back then .This pic really takes me back never set foot in there I was way to young but it sure sounded like fun , my mom also worked there briefly until she banged her leg on a beer crate and it went bad took months to heel .

Back