• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane Pubs

hi again...ive stretched back my memory again..lol and now im not to certain that the high part of the building is part of the new settlement...senior moments again..but a trip down there would prove it either way..

mike the address of the settlement is 318 summer lane so can either yourself or someone else please check to see what 316 was in the 60s as i think this must be the no of the high building

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
Have gone through the ones i have 1956-69.No 316 is not listed in any. The numbering goes from 315 to 318 each time, except for 1969 where 315 has gone
Mike

Mike.
I would guess the black and white picture was taken in the late 1960s,and as you confirmed in an earlier post Kelly's shows it as B Elliott Ltd a company producing plastic mouldings,i remember it well.
Moss.

ok thanks mike....

hi moss...i think its pretty conclusive that the building was never a pub then....

lyn

Hiya Lyn,i don't think that the building shown could ever have been a pub,but i would'nt know what was on the site beforehand.
Moss.

hi ya moss...ok if you look at duvals pic taken recently you will see the old orignal wall....behind that on the same ground as where that building is stood the original birmingham settlement...we did have pics of it under the birmingham settlement thread but ive just looked and we lost them when the upgrade took place...i will try and find them but im sure it was not me who posted them...will get back to you...

lyn

The royal george on aston cross was a good family s hard working people
whom was the salt of the earth.not even the teddy boys whom came from king standing was any trouble there
hard working guys but there was always abit of the rough teddys from from king standing in the fifties
whom came for a knuckle up at the aston croos pub mainly up stairs every friday and sat night apart from that
summer lane was eqiuverlent to the east end of london like the last person said ,-no names mentioned
best wishes Astonian .

hi moss..you had the answer to your question on post 65 in your hands lol....here is your pic of what was on the site before the new building...it was the original settlement..note the old wall and palings on both pics....

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. Duval is talking about the building on the extreme right of his picture,past the wall,where you can just about read "The Duke of Quebec"above the windows.
Moss.

right moss...i think im going for a lie down in a dark room:cry: seems i got the wrong end of the stick....ok i will go and have a closer look now that i know what im looking for...:rolleyes:

lyn

ok moss...ive saved and zoomed in on duvals pic and it does seem to say the duke of quebec right enough and it also looks like it could be a pub...the pic looks to be taken in the 60s but i just cant understand why there is no record of it or anyone can remember it...its a right mystery...

lyn

Last edited:
tell you what moss...this one has got me stumped...im totally confused lol....

lyn

hi all,
my moms first husband was killed at Elliots in 1941,so if it is still listed in the sixties when was it a pub.
Im confused.

lynne.

hi lyn...yes so are we all...seems strange to me to open another pub opposite the stags head and only a few seconds walk from the barrel...i really think there has been some mistake somewhere with the write up in the book...

lyn

Could it be the name of the factory?After all Ralph Martindale factory was called Crocodile Works.
Moss.

moss..you took the words right out of my mouth...this is a possibility

lyn:)

What about the Lamp Lighter , was that on Summer Lane? Max

hi max..yes it was on the lane (more or less opp bridge st police station) but it was a late 60s pub...the building is still there but its a religious meeting place now...

lyn

Hmm thats interesting ,i used to drink there in the 60s , my mate ray Oconnor lived opposite , but my mother said it was rebuilt on the site of the old pub, she said the Mrs of the pub used to sit in the public bar peeling pickling onions , any views ?
Max

Back