• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street furniture

Although I am unable to enlarge the picture beyond what my browser can do I do not believe that the cart is overloaded. The apparent overloading, I believe, is due to something behind the cart on the building, or part of the building, behind it.
Those with good eyesight may care to chip in here.
Hi Alan - I've had a good look by lightening and sharpening that area of the image and it looks like it is a well stacked cart to me.
I notice the shop on the corner has what looks like rolls of lino near the windows on the first floor.

Surely this traffic island at Five Ways Edgbaston must win the prize for having so many different items of street furniture in one place, Flower Tubs, Statues, Bollards, Lamp Posts, Horse Trough, Drinking Fountain, Benches, Street Lighting, Tram Wire poles, they are all there. Oh yes I nearly forgot The Clock.
Hi Phil - That's a great photo of Five Ways, I notice the lamp post on the left part of the island is different to the other three I can see and I'm wondering whether that type of lamp post (same as in #257) has something to do with traffic etc.

Well done Phil on finding the most 'furnished' area. The larger more important lamp has a sign attached to it too and it's next to the seating, so maybe it was part of the tramways property? Just a guess. Never realised the statue had a fountain incorporated into it. Passed it many times at Five Ways and only ever really noticed the inscriptions around the figures. Think there was 'Faith' 'Hope' and 'Charity' or something similar. Viv.

Viv

From memory the Joseph Sturge plinth had a couple of drinking fountains included in their design but I'm not sure when they were removed but it's certain they are no longer there. The clock dedicated to Birmingham's first Coroner John Birt Davis has certainly danced around Five Ways (or to be more accurate six ways) since it was installed in 1897 (I think).

scan0146.jpgscan0145.jpg

Hi Roly - Interesting to hear from you - I took this picture of this ornate swan neck in Woodfall Avenue, Cotteridge in 1981 - was this the sort you liked? Also, I enclose a photo I took in Summer Lane in 1979 shortly before they were replaced -this sort of lamp post was prevalent from the 1930s until phased out in the 70s - what do you know about this type? Would be very interested in seeing what pictures you've got on Brum's street lighting. I've always wanted to write a book on Street Furniture of Birmingham as I think, judging by this thread, there would be lot of interest. Maybe we could join forces? Birmingham certainly did have some wonderful ornate street furniture. Interesting to hear you give further information about those flourescent column lamp posts (now resurrected in Old Square). I seem to remember they used to be on Colmore Row / Bull Street.

As you may be able to tell from my nick name, I'm also interested in buses and used to be a shareholder in a Birmingham Guy Arab bus! So It will be of interest when you write your book on buses! Regards, Andy

A lamp which says it is a Letter Box or perhaps one nearby, could be useful on a dark foggy night.

Last edited:
A lamp which says it is a Letter Box or perhaps one nearby, could be useful on a dark foggy night.
That's a hell of a climb, just to post a letter !
The bloke with the long pole, bottom right, I wonder if he's the lamp lighter ?
(Is that the inevitable copper I can see, just to the right of the top of the lamp ?).

Hi maypole
That definitely goes with out question its definitely a two tear meaning a good idea I thought of our old fore brothers of tested years
A two tear system combined pillar box with the lamp above
Looking at the old picture surely that must be the today's post office stands at the top of hill street can you confirm that you think I would so say so
What do you or other member think best wishes astonian

There are some swan neck lamps still around, can't think exactly where I will be looking up from now on. The other old lamps here are like the Letter Box shaped ones, some have copper tops they erected them in Cov's old watch making quarter. Then they have some large round ones with the lamp glass hanging lower than the shade, the shade looking a bit small for the lamp if you get my drift, re erected in older parts of the city centre. I like the arched windows on Baz's photo. I also misread GuyArab's nickname. Need specs. Can't tell you what I thought it was!

Surely the Lamp with Letter Box on it was outside the old main post office?

This Street Lighting at the corner of Broad Street and Easy Row has just got to be one of the most ornate lampposts in the city.

Attachments

• City Broad St BW&G Assurance 1896 .jpg
    City Broad St BW&G Assurance 1896 .jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 48
  • City Easy Row c1903 .jpg
    City Easy Row c1903 .jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 51
Re. the Letter Box lamp. Are we talking pre-Victorian Gothic PO on Victoria Square? If we are, the lamp with 'Letter Box' notice on it is probably simply a notice for a letter box and possibly not the PO? Wasn't the PO in New Street at this time? Could be wrong though.

That's a hell of a lamp with bells on Phil. Anyone wonder (looking at first Phil's photo) why there's a spade propped up against the lamp and a set of ladders on the pavement?

And Bingo! Those bollards have those white balls next to them too. Viv.

Well guys and viv
I would say one of the two things the men are looking across at the centre of the road where the lamp is and I would say they was discussing the state its in and he his saying go and clean away the snow and the slush and get the snow or ice off around the base above it and the man on the left of the three men as what looks like a mat or some think to put down on the snow or ice so is steps do notslipp whilst he his scrapping the ice off it base at steps high and I cannot she him wipeing
Those little white balls on the side behind himself either and as I have previously said the other one would have the post slots on both sides of the lamp post
And as the first one is on a slope that looks like it could have been hip street orinianal best wishes astonian

A street light in Asylum Road in 1960. It seems to be a normal gas lamp but with two small light globes about 3ft below the gas light. What were they for ? I haven't noticed a similar light in other old pics yet !
index.php

Original pic is in https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=432229#post432229

Last edited:
Another extraordinary example of street lighting, this lamp being at the end of Paradise Street at the Junction of Easy Row outside the canal offices.

Attachments

• City Easy Row - Paradise St 1910  (20).JPG
    City Easy Row - Paradise St 1910 (20).JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 161
Looking at some of the photos displayed here it always makes me a little sad that some of the street furniture has been lost to us forever. This sadness is lightened a little by the fact that I know some of it must have been salvaged and now stands in some rich persons garden as a centre piece and some of it is also displayed at places like the Black Country Museum and Blists Hill. Then there are also sights like the one in this photo that can gladden my heart, an old piece of street furniture that has been utilised for a new purpose. At least I am surmising that is what has happened.

Attachments

• City Hill St (4).jpg
    City Hill St (4).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 53
Yes we really have lost some lovely lamps from our streets. I wondered if the last one posted was originally a lamp. The base seems very hefty. Maybe it supported a candelabra of lamps. Or maybe it was the base to a clock? But at least it's still on the street. I think the older lamps make a good contrast to modern buildings too, as they add a touch of detail which modern buildings can often lack. Viv.

View attachment 90995View attachment 90994

Hi Roly - Interesting to hear from you - I took this picture of this ornate swan neck in Woodfall Avenue, Cotteridge in 1981 - was this the sort you liked? Also, I enclose a photo I took in Summer Lane in 1979 shortly before they were replaced -this sort of lamp post was prevalent from the 1930s until phased out in the 70s - what do you know about this type? Would be very interested in seeing what pictures you've got on Brum's street lighting. I've always wanted to write a book on Street Furniture of Birmingham as I think, judging by this thread, there would be lot of interest. Maybe we could join forces? Birmingham certainly did have some wonderful ornate street furniture. Interesting to hear you give further information about those flourescent column lamp posts (now resurrected in Old Square). I seem to remember they used to be on Colmore Row / Bull Street.

As you may be able to tell from my nick name, I'm also interested in buses and used to be a shareholder in a Birmingham Guy Arab bus! So It will be of interest when you write your book on buses! Regards, Andy

Hi Andy.
Oooh yes my favourite lamp - just like the one I used to have (sigh). I remember these in Woodfall Ave. King's Norton was the last place to have these. About this time the columns were painted dark brown but the brackets weren't. Shortly after they were converted to "7" brackets (in grey primer or red oxide) with A.C. Ford "diadem" 80w mbf powered lanterns. Why didn't they paint them after conversion? The lamps in Woodfall Ave have been replaced by 6meter 35w LED ones in the last year.
The group "A" lamps pictured in Summer Lane are typical of a vast installation on Birminghams main roads in 1937/8, replacing 3 and 4 mantle gas ones. This one is a Revo product apart from its lantern. For some reason our lighting department favoured GEC lanterns for its main roads (a London product rather than Witton). This example is a "Windsor" lantern and is an obvious forerunner of the "clearmain diffractor". The last of these lovely lamps I remember were in Lawley Street, Bracebridge Street,Cattell Road and Belgrave Road about 1980. The latter still burning 400w MB lamps.
Sorry I'm off on a waffle - subject dear to my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be veering a little off thread but I remember, (60s I think), the street lights on our estate all had a dim bulb in them. Driving up to a junction in was quite common to have a near miss with a car coming the other way because he was driving on 6 volt sidelights and they looked the same as the street lights.
I think I'm right in saying that Birmingham pioneered the enforcement of driving on headlights to cut down on accidents caused by low visibility.

So good to see these repro examples on Temple Row West and Colmore Row. I doubt they're originals, but all the same a good move by the Council. I expect they're a copy of earlier ones. Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392223256.720632.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392223256.720632.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 37
We had the standard B'ham lamps in our street; brown base, cream stem with a cross bar below the lantern. We all played on it. There was always a piece of frayed rope attached to one to swing on. Don't have any memory of when the lamps were changed for more modern ones. They definitely didn't have the same re- assuring glow though. Viv.

An unusual lamp post in this view presumably on a small traffic island in Corporation St. There appears to be two small lamps lower down on the post. Martineau St has standard gas lamps - mabe the unusual light is electric. I notice one bus driver has the luxury of a cab but the other appears to be in the open with a cape over his legs.
CorpMart_28Medium29.jpg

Great photo Phil. Now that I've really started to look more closely at lamps, I'm sure the ones with the smaller lamps attached are more often than not to illuminate a sign. Learning a lot from the comments made by members posting comments. Noticed lots of them (now) in photos. An interesting view too. Imagine the racket from all those buses, trams etc. Viv.

In Corporation St not far from the place seen in #308 is a familiar earlier type street light they used on traffic islands. In front of the bollards on the island is one of those ball shaped mystery objects. The bollards were probably there to protect the street lights and the mystery objects were there to protect the bollards. I suppose back in those days most people knew what they were and had a name for them.
Corpmart2.jpg

An unusual lamp post in this view presumably on a small traffic island in Corporation St. There appears to be two small lamps lower down on the post. Martineau St has standard gas lamps - mabe the unusual light is electric. I notice one bus driver has the luxury of a cab but the other appears to be in the open with a cape over his legs.

The Number 7 went to Portland Road Edgbaston and the Number 9 went to Quinton as can be seen clearly on the side. I used to catch the 7 to Portland Road it then changed number to 5 back into town and out to Erdington I think.

Also there was a 5A which went to Court Lane whereas the the 5 terminated at the large Witton Lodge island. Old bus numbers we remember well but many of them have changed. Large crowds at the tram stops in the photo.

007.jpg

A pre - warboys school sign still doing its job in Sycamore Road Bournville green. The grey paint has worn off revealing its true colours. This one dates from around 1957.

009.jpg006.jpg

Oops sorry picture wrong way up. A 1925 AEC 504 seen in Stonehose Hill. 89 years later the lovely old "pedestal" sign is still there (just). Strangely it has been very recently painted,despite being damaged. I remember it being very rusty with the "ST" broken and twisted at a 45 degree angle.A little bit too late in capturing it when it was complete (about Four weeks ago). The Stonehouse pub, opposite, is just being demolished.

Re. Roly's school sign. Very surprising it's still there. The newer school signs don't have that character. I like the triangle at the top with the reflectors. When. I was little I thought those reflectors on signs were Rowntrees Fruit Gums.

Re. the broken road sign. I love these old cast iron ones. Really dislike the more modern metal ones that end up bent and graffitied. I expect that cast iron would be more expensive to replace, but I think in some places, cast iron is making a comeback. Much more character. Viv.

Back